Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  160
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Trade Target/s

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Talk on here regarding Darcy Moore has gone pretty quite. Realistically no chance or just no interest ?

Moore and McEvoy would be must haves, with Lynch as a rolling fwd to help relieve the Bruce loss.
    For me, I think it’s a very low possibility on Moore. I’d ask the question of Moore and Collingwood as they need more picks for their rebuild and get significant salary cap relief. Plus the expected compo in 2022 might not as good as the thinking was many weeks ago. The best chance would be if they’ve targeted Ed Richards and he’s happy to go, plus they want a first rounder on top to help secure Daicos (short on points) and want some of their salary for Treloar taken by us. So there’s a theoretical path, but I’d not put any money on it. There’s no public reporting indicating any of these parts and things occurring.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Father son picks like Sam Darcy are a blessing and a curse, especially when they're 204cm string beans that will take years to develop. We're in our window right now yet our trading and ability to bring in pieces to strengthen a premiership tilt are hampered by needing enough points etc to match a bid and limits on how far you can go into deficit.

There's no chance we don't take him but I think you could make an argument that our picks could be better utilised over the next few years for experienced players than a ruck that won't have any influence on our flag chances over the next 2-3 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Father son picks like Sam Darcy are a blessing and a curse, especially when they're 204cm string beans that will take years to develop. We're in our window right now yet our trading and ability to bring in pieces to strengthen a premiership tilt are hampered by needing enough points etc to match a bid and limits on how far you can go into deficit.

There's no chance we don't take him but I think you could make an argument that our picks could be better utilised over the next few years for experienced players than a ruck that won't have any influence on our flag chances over the next 2-3 years.
    Was thinking that.

Your hands are tied in a way, you can't necessarily pick for need. Guess you just have to be smarter around how you shuffle the deck chairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Was thinking that.

Your hands are tied in a way, you can't necessarily pick for need. Guess you just have to be smarter around how you shuffle the deck chairs.
    That’s why you’ve got to get creative. There’s scope within the rules to trade into the club in a meaningful way and take Darcy, if we want to.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Grantysghost, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with blessing - we get to take top tier draft talent and have the option of being far more flexible in doing so.

Unlike a lot of clubs, late picks can provide real value to us especially as the draft picks vs list spot rules have been suspended last year and this year. That rule suspension is almost as big a leg up as Marra being available to us last year.

e.g. It's highly likely that this year and next years' first round picks will be high. No way a team trades pick 3 for two late teens picks, but that's effectively what we have with Sam Darcy. The fact we can downgrade out 2021 first for a points surplus, then downgrade our 2022 first for players of need and get 2021 points back to match a Darcy bid puts us in an incredible position.

Consider then we get first dibs on Croft next year and can feasibly plug list holes at the trade table while getting top tier talent and we are in as good a position as any club in the AFL. Melbourne have a gun NGA talent this year (Amdrew) they lose access to because he's going to be a top 20 pick, and that just makes our position all the more sweet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ To add to the above, if we instead somehow lure a gun KPD to us that wipes our our trade capital and takes our Sam Darcy picks there are still ruck options. Chol isn't a great ruck but he's a FA who can be serviceable forward of the ball.

Alternatively, we find a one year FA stop-gap defensive option like Day or Astbury that gives us time to put more development into Gardner and Sam Darcy (who many project as a KPD at AFL level).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If those three players were on our list I'd expect all three to be lining up for us this weekend.
    Lynch I possibly agree with based on the fact of how bad our existing ruckmen are, Martin notwithstanding.

Lynch has a lot of work to do to improve his output around the ground, Bevo will demand this and his disposal is dicey as well. He may have a tank and dominate in the VFL but he's hit walls after half time in each of his AFL matches this year. He's had one cracking game in the ruck and surprisingly that was against Gawn, who he broke even with.

I still think he's a speculative type who has shown he can ruck at AFL level but needs patience and ongoing continuity to develop his fitness and make an impact around the ground. I'd rather a McEvoy-type in the ruck in 2022 rather than Lynch. I mean, maybe he'd be OK but I don't think he offers enough elsewhere and I'm out of patience regarding the ruck department.

I'm not sure Bevo would play both him and English.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not sure Bevo would play both him and English.
    I think in Bevo's tenure he's preferred to play two ruckmen.
    CamHead for years, the Boyd/Roughy. This year he played Martin with English until Stef was injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think in Bevo's tenure he's preferred to play two ruckmen.
    CamHead for years, the Boyd/Roughy. This year he played Martin with English until Stef was injured.
    I kinda meant due to both being relatively inexperienced with developing bodies. There's always been a big experienced hard body involved. I guess we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Talia not offered a contract by Adelaide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Good. *!*!*!*! him and *!*!*!*! his brother.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Wouldn't entertain him at all?

I reckon Bevo would pick him up just to spite Barrett.

Personally I am over the other stuff it was years ago, bad yes, but if his body is right and he's keen he would be a decent addition. Can play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm sure they will enjoy playing together at Norwood next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Wouldn't entertain him at all?
    Not for a second. As I’ve said before, I spoke to Bevo about it at the time. No *!*!*!*!ing way. Our players, many still on the list, know what happened too. No way they’d line up with him. He would stain our jumper. I would rather follow GWS than a club he plays for. Which is handy, as I see no way our coach and senior players letting it happen. To be clear. *!*!*!*! him and *!*!*!*! his brother.