Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  160
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Trade Target/s

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Watching the replay, I feel we have enough talent. Jamarra can come in eventually and Naughton can go back.
    You watched the replay of Naughton being our only threatening forward and concluded he should go back?

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We’re just not going to get a gun defender fall into our laps (again) and the idea of picking up some cooked 30+ cashing in for a superannuation year seems like a horrible idea. I also don’t want anymore tweener 189-195 types.

We need to scour the lists and find a maturing but fringe 195+ tall forward and convert them to defence.
    I agree that a Andrews/Moore/Taylor type is pie in the sky stuff. Writing off players based solely on age or height is foolish though. Some 193/4/5cm players are well enough equipped to play on the 200cm types. Some 200cm types are not at all equipped to play on fellow 200cm types. Some 28 year olds are cooked, some 31 year olds have 3 good years left. Brian Lake (31 when he played his first game for the Hawks) turned out OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I agree that a Andrews/Moore/Taylor type is pie in the sky stuff. Writing off players based solely on age or height is foolish though. Some 193/4/5cm players are well enough equipped to play on the 200cm types. Some 200cm types are not at all equipped to play on fellow 200cm types. Some 28 year olds are cooked, some 31 year olds have 3 good years left. Brian Lake (31 when he played his first game for the Hawks) turned out OK.
    Brian Lake is the exception that proves the rule (and of course we were the ones stupid enough to provide the Hawks with the missing piece). Try and name another 31 year old key defender that has moved to another club and had an impact.

Very few defenders can give up 5cm+ and the decent weight difference that comes with it and compete with the big guys while also being dangerous in the air. The ones that can (say Tom Stewart, Dane Rampe or Mozza for us through his entire career) are so highly rated by their own clubs they're no chance of being extracted. The names of tweeners like Josh Rotham and Trent Mackenzie were thrown around...no thanks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian Lake is the exception that proves the rule (and of course we were the ones stupid enough to provide the Hawks with the missing piece). Try and name another 31 year old key defender that has moved to another club and had an impact.

Very few defenders can give up 5cm+ and the decent weight difference that comes with it and compete with the big guys while also being dangerous in the air. The ones that can (say Tom Stewart, Dane Rampe or Mozza for us through his entire career) are so highly rated by their own clubs they're no chance of being extracted. The names of tweeners like Josh Rotham and Trent Mackenzie were thrown around...no thanks.
    All I am saying is I would judge each player on their merits, not make blanket rules based on numbers on a page.

I agree we don't need any third tall type defenders, but they don't necessarily need to be +195cm to even be considered. If Joel Hamling ever recovers from his never ending ankle problems I would happily take him back even though he is only 194cm. Dylan Grimes does ok at 193cm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    All I am saying is I would judge each player on their merits, not make blanket rules based on numbers on a page.

I agree we don't need any third tall type defenders, but they don't necessarily need to be +195cm to even be considered. If Joel Hamling ever recovers from his never ending ankle problems I would happily take him back even though he is only 194cm. Dylan Grimes does ok at 193cm.
    Hamling's teammate Cox is also 194cm and does well.
    Grimes is much better as the third though, brilliant at stopping his opponent then helping out teammates.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We’re just not going to get a gun defender fall into our laps (again) and the idea of picking up some cooked 30+ cashing in for a superannuation year seems like a horrible idea. I also don’t want anymore tweener 189-195 types.

We need to scour the lists and find a maturing but fringe 195+ tall forward and convert them to defence.
    This 100%
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Will this converter be someone that can immediately come into the team to make us better Comrade, or someone that will have to learn their defensive craft at VFL level for a year ? I understand your logic, but I expect within the next 6-7 weeks, it’s going to be even more obvious of the desperate need for a KPD NOW !!!!
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Will this converter be someone that can immediately come into the team to make us better Comrade, or someone that will have to learn their defensive craft at VFL level for a year ? I understand your logic, but I expect within the next 6-7 weeks, it’s going to be even more obvious of the desperate need for a KPD NOW !!!!
    A good example is Jake Ricciardi. He was sent back to defence for GWS VFL side last weekend and had 40 touches and 19 marks. I watched some of the game and I reckon you could stick him at CHB for us right now and he'd be fine.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North and Brisbane going after Ed Richards according to the age.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    North and Brisbane going after Ed Richards according to the age.
    Ed a swap for a KPD

Story here
    Last edited by bornadog; 05-05-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ed a swap for a KPD

Story here
    North wanting a ‘draft first policy and not wanting to trade picks’.

How does Richards for McKay feel for both clubs?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I'll drive Ed to Arden St myself.

16. Likes DOG GOD, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ed a swap for a KPD

Story here
    Soup threw up Payne's name as a KPD option from the Lions.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I don't see how North trade McKay because he would need to be replaced. They'd just about consider him as a lock wouldn't they?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The MC clearly rate Richards, and have often done what they can to fit him into the team. Last year after missing round one he played every game, but the way the article is written makes it seem like 17 games is a step backwards for a third year player in a team that made finals.

I'd be really surprised if we let him go cheaply. As I said in another thread, he's a first round draft pick who'd played 90% of games leading up to this year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.