Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

State Government announces funding boost for Bulldogs’ redevelopment

The Daniel Andrews State Government has announced it will allocate $36.6 million towards the Whitten Oval precinct redevelopment

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/836230

The Western Bulldogs Football Club welcomes today’s announcement by the Daniel Andrews State Government to allocate $36.6 million towards the Whitten Oval precinct redevelopment.

The Club’s ambitious plans for its West Footscray home will transform the precinct into the centrepiece of Melbourne’s west - a home for an elite sporting club and a common place for the community.

It will be an inviting, contemporary and cutting-edge place to work, recreate, explore, relax and connect, which caters for the changing face of the region.

Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula today announced that the funding had been confirmed for the Bulldogs’ $58 million project, as part of the Victorian Budget for 2020/21.

“We are very grateful to the Daniel Andrews State Government for believing in the vision we have created for the future of the Whitten Oval precinct,” said Bulldogs President Peter Gordon.

“We have been on this journey for a number of years now, and the Victorian Government has supported our plans from the beginning.

“This funding commitment will allow us to begin the significant next stage of these important works. We will start this process as soon as we can.

“To be embarking on such an exciting and ambitious project to redevelop the Whitten Oval precinct is a special opportunity which underlines our commitment to ensuring we provide elite facilities for our football teams and to service our members and fans, local residents and the community of the west.

“Our ultimate ambition is to make the Whitten Oval precinct the heart of the community - an everyday precinct to spectate, celebrate and discover. The redevelopment will ensure that new generations can enjoy the Western Bulldogs’ home ground, create new and lasting memories, and retain a strong understanding of the Club’s history.”

The Whitten Oval precinct redevelopment was initially made possible by a valuable parcel of land at the Geelong Road end of the precinct, which was transferred to the Club to enable a larger overall footprint to be developed.

The Victorian Government initially allocated $5 million towards stage one of the redevelopment, which was completed in February last year, and a further $1 million towards the creation of detailed plans for future stages.

In May 2019, the Club unveiled its comprehensive master plan, which was followed by the submission of a business case to the Stage Government.

Stage One works included the upgrading of women’s football facilities in the John Gent Stand at VU Whitten Oval, and the installation of a new scoreboard.

Our ultimate ambition is to make the Whitten Oval precinct the heart of the community - an everyday precinct to spectate, celebrate and discover.
    - Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon

Today’s funding announcement paves the way for Stage Two of the redevelopment to progress to the next stage.

In this stage of works, at a cost of between $40-$45 million, the Club plans to revamp the Whitten Stand to include upgraded administration facilities (featuring a community hub and large function space), re-design AFL and AFLW player changerooms and high performance areas, reconfigure the playing field and the install broadcast quality lighting to host AFLW and VFL night games.

For visitors to the upgraded precinct, there are plans to create a new Barkly Street frontage, improved pedestrian access to Whitten Avenue, community outdoor workout areas, expanded green space, a match-day pavilion and an increase in carparking.

The Bulldogs have worked closely with Maribyrnong City Council, local residents and precinct tenants throughout the planning process so far.

A town planning application is currently in progress with Council, which includes a period of community consultation.

The Club has committed to fund some of the costs associated with the next stage of the redevelopment, with a portion of the funds secured from the imminent sale of its gaming machines to be allocated to the project.

“This project is a massive win for the people of the west and not just football fans, with the needs of the community central to the planning and delivery of the redevelopment,” said Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events, Martin Pakula.

“It’s fantastic footy fans will be able to watch the AFLW Bulldogs and Footscray VFL teams in much improved conditions.”

Information regarding the progress of the Whitten Oval precinct project can be viewed at the Club’s redevelopment hub on westernbulldogs.com.au.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: State Government announces funding boost for Bulldogs’ redevelopment

Fantastic news! Well done to all involved, the precinct is going to be amazing.

Some of the concept art :

3. Thanks bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing needs urgent attention is the toilets and more of them.
    Hopefully the Whitten stand isn’t totally destroyed ., keep the seats for the outer wing and you can’t let go of the EJ Whitten sign it has to be stuck back up its iconic !
    Bring back the biff

5. Likes Grantysghost, Eastdog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Decent week for the club...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Decent week for the club...
    So good. Wonder if they showed Treloar the plans as part of the sell. Must've been other Vic clubs into him.

Post Thanks / Like

This is terrific news for the club and western suburbs.

Great job by Ameet and the team that put this proposal together and lobbied the Government.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news.

So the Geelong Kardinia Park funding is now a good thing too?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Great news.

Nah, we don't care about them

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes 1eyedog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news.

I think any upgrade on the suburban grounds is a good thing.
    I played a grand final in the 80s at the junction oval it was sad how deteriorated it was.
    I think it’s the one they have made the home of Vic cricket now, great to see.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Nah, we don't care about them
    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think any upgrade on the suburban grounds is a good thing.
    I played a grand final in the 80s at the junction oval it was sad how deteriorated it was.
    I think it’s the one they have made the home of Vic cricket now, great to see.
    I was a just playing around, tongue in cheek. Some posters, and myself was thinking to some degree, commented about the investment in Kardinia Park with government budgets being shot. We can't really pot anyone now, with a terrific announcement like this. Hopefully the Fed's can come up with funds for a multi story car park on top of the existing plan.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes ledge, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a just playing around, tongue in cheek. Some posters, and myself was thinking to some degree, commented about the investment in Kardinia Park with government budgets being shot. We can't really pot anyone now, with a terrific announcement like this. Hopefully the Fed's can come up with funds for a multi story car park on top of the existing plan.
    The budget for the development is around $50 million, so we still have to find $14 million. Pretty sure we have a large proportion of that sitting in the bank.

The club has done so well off field, and we will also report a small profit this year, even after losing massive revenue due to covid19. Unfortunately we have lost a lot of good people due to the forced cuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news!!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it comes down to cost versus community benefit and how much of the profit generated goes directly to a sporting club.

How much will the redevelopment contribute to our gate receipts for AFL home games? That's a rhetorical question, of course..........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I guess it comes down to cost versus community benefit and how much of the profit generated goes directly to a sporting club.

How much will the redevelopment contribute to our gate receipts for AFL home games? That's a rhetorical question, of course..........
    I think you mean VFL games
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Suburban footy making a comeback would be awesome, I don’t care what mental gymnastics I have to do to justify it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

22. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post