Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: State Government announces funding boost for Bulldogs’ redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think you mean VFL games
    Ledge, I definitely mean AFL games.

The redevelopment at Geelong pumps a tonne of revenue into the club through gate receipts due to it being a relatively clean stadium, whereas our home games are played at Docklands which has over time been extremely difficult to net a profit from.

I guess that's a reason why we can still get a bit shitty about the free hand Geelong is getting as a footy club, due to incumbent and prospective governments of each persuasion falling over themselves to pork-barrel their way to election victories in the region.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes azabob, Sedat, 1eyedog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's cool! Well done Ameet and gang.

I wish they would bring back VFL games before the main event.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

The redevelopment at Geelong pumps a tonne of revenue into the club through gate receipts due to it being a relatively clean stadium, whereas our home games are played at Docklands which has over time been extremely difficult to net a profit from.

I guess that's a reason why we can still get a bit shitty about the free hand Geelong is getting as a footy club, due to incumbent and prospective governments of each persuasion falling over themselves to pork-barrel their way to election victories in the region.
    They play there we don’t . We need to encourage VFL and I think the new league will help. We have had a great run with the government and handouts to Whitten oval the last few years .
    Other point is Geelong is a city on its own we are just another suburb of Melbourne.
    Geelong is also along the shore and great for tourism with all the towns around it.
    We can offer nothing as far as tourism is concerned.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

They play there we don’t . We need to encourage VFL and I think the new league will help. We have had a great run with the government and handouts to Whitten oval the last few years .
    Other point is Geelong is a city on its own we are just another suburb of Melbourne.
    Geelong is also along the shore and great for tourism with all the towns around it.
    We can offer nothing as far as tourism is concerned.
    So all of the above means their footy club should make more money per person who goes to one of their home games than we do per person who goes to one of our home games?

I get we've been treated well and we should be grateful for the opportunity to develop our plot for ourselves and the local community. I just reserve the right to be shitty that the funding granted Geelong nets them substantial future profits from AFL gate receipts, and that they continue to act like entitled dicks irrespective of it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work by the club.
    I do find the figures thrown about as mind boggling eg '..1 million dollars allocated to detailed plans.'
    Hopefully the whole of the facilities are made available and benefit the entire community.
    Also that the social housing that was proposed a few years ago is included in future developments.
    Go dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Bulldogs vs GWS. Welcome to the Terrordome.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Twodogs, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Bulldogs vs GWS. Welcome to the Terrordome.
    Yes please. If they thought that the welcome was hostile on preliminary final night 2016 then Welcome To The Terrordrome guys. I love that name. It should be written in 2 foot high letters above the entry gates.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

there won't be any AFL games at VU Whitten Oval as the capacity is just not there. I am happy with that anyway, I prefer drawing big crowds at Docklands, even against visiting interstate teams.

When all the COVID stuff is gone, I predict our crowds will be huge.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    there won't be any AFL games at VU Whitten Oval as the capacity is just not there. I am happy with that anyway, I prefer drawing big crowds at Docklands, even against visiting interstate teams.

The Treloar signing, the fact that Dunkley is staying and even the addition of Stef Martin has raised the optimism of Bulldogs' fans leading into 2021. I'm hoping for a solid return on member numbers and good crowds next year.

Round 1 will definitely be against the Pies again.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Ballarat needs funding too. In particular and Extension of the Main Grand Stand to behind the goals and (somehow) making a car park of that land at the intersection of the main roads adjacent to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Ballarat needs funding too. In particular and Extension of the Main Grand Stand to behind the goals and (somehow) making a car park of that land at the intersection of the main roads adjacent to the ground.
    There is another thread on WOOF with latest funding of $6 million and how that will be spent.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing news. It is so good to see these facilities continue to improve, modernise and be an amazing resource for Western Suburbs.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Amazing news. It is so good to see these facilities continue to improve, modernise and be an amazing resource for Western Suburbs.
    The Melbourne Airport Rail Link coming as well. Could potentially be a game changer for Sunshine.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    The Melbourne Airport Rail Link coming as well. Could potentially be a game changer for Sunshine.
    A good time to buy a house in Sunshine .. like yarraville, went through the roof price wise once the ring road came along.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

A good time to buy a house in Sunshine .. like yarraville, went through the roof price wise once the ring road came along.
    I have lived mostly in the eastern suburbs and still live in the east but yes the inner western suburbs (Footscray, Yarraville, Newport etc) now is getting people who grew up in the eastern subrubs who have been now priced out from the eastern suburbs and even the inner north (Thornbury, Northcote, Brunswick etc) is getting expensive now. Sunshine/Braybrook could be next to take off. Close to the city and still relatively affordable.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"