Thanks Thanks:  66
Likes Likes:  249
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training 2021

Bruce really does look so much better than what he did last year
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Bruce really does look so much better than what he did last year
    Well, if you set the bar low enough it's pretty easy to jump over the darn thing.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well, if you set the bar low enough it's pretty easy to jump over the darn thing.
    I never felt like we did the right thing by Bruce or the playing group by selecting him when he was so out of form and potentially not fit enough. I know there is a strong support on WOOF for whatever selections are made by our MC but if we are are already commenting that he looks fitter and slimmer now then why was the MC immune from criticism for selecting him regardless last season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I never felt like we did the right thing by Bruce or the playing group by selecting him when he was so out of form and potentially not fit enough. I know there is a strong support on WOOF for whatever selections are made by our MC but if we are are already commenting that he looks fitter and slimmer now then why was the MC immune from criticism for selecting him regardless last season?
    I think there was plenty of criticism of his continued selection.

May have been lost in the overall criticism of Match Committee selections.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I just don't think we had other fit options. If we did, he would have been "rested" more often (as he was against Adelaide).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I just don't think we had other fit options. If we did, he would have been "rested" more often (as he was against Adelaide).
    Young and JT spring to mind and Cordy could have been moved forward or we could have gone with a smaller line-up
    I don't think we were well served by playing someone so out of form

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy that as an excuse.

As shown by the rounds where we picked no first ruck and just had English floating around in the side while Dunkley and co picked up the slack instead of selecting Sweet or JT we are happy to try something different in lieu of playing a shit option in their preferred position. I don't see why we were so flexible there to enable us to not play someone while at the same time were so inflexible with our forward roles that Bruce was undroppable.

Whoever replaced him didn't need to be a tall forward, it could have been anything like throwing Cordy forward, bringing Weightman or Dale or Lloyd in and playing a smaller forwardline, playing Gowers in the same role who whilst infuriating contributed just as much as Bruce did in the few games he played. We could have tried literally anything and instead we just persisted.

Taking something that wasn't working at all all season and just hoping this would be the week it would get better is dumb, and we did that for an entire season.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

It had to be a bit of the old 'we're paying this bloke $500k+, we need to make this work' type of thinking when it came to Bruce, because nothing else justified it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It had to be a bit of the old 'we're paying this bloke $500k+, we need to make this work' type of thinking when it came to Bruce, because nothing else justified it.
    Bevo "rested" Boyd who was on bigger money.
    JT was playing ruck and defence, and Lewis Young was terrible when given a chance. I still think if we did have a viable alternative Bruce would have played less last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo "rested" Boyd who was on bigger money.
    JT was playing ruck and defence, and Lewis Young was terrible when given a chance. I still think if we did have a viable alternative Bruce would have played less last year.
    That's a self fulfilling prophecy. We don't try anyone else and then say 'there was no one else to try'.

A fence post would have been a more viable option at times than Bruce, at least the post would have held his position and not got in Naughton's way.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'd back it in that was a huge part of the decision each week. We wouldn't wanted to have created a negative headline

Post Thanks / Like

Are we actually paying him that much or was it tenure that got him across the line?

Not sure the negative headlines would have been too much of an issue for us. We've dropped Stringer, Libba and T. Boyd in the past, irrespective of the negative press that would put on the club and player.

I reckon if Naughton had more of a presence earlier in the year and was around throughout most of it, and Bruce was putting up the sort of ordinary performances he was then a change may have been made. However, with Naughton not playing a fair chunk of games we may have wanted to see if they'd gel giving Bruce a reprieve.

Or not.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Are we actually paying him that much or was it tenure that got him across the line?

Not sure the negative headlines would have been too much of an issue for us. We've dropped Stringer, Libba and T. Boyd in the past, irrespective of the negative press that would put on the club and player.

I reckon if Naughton had more of a presence earlier in the year and was around throughout most of it, and Bruce was putting up the sort of ordinary performances he was then a change may have been made. However, with Naughton not playing a fair chunk of games we may have wanted to see if they'd gel giving Bruce a reprieve.

Or not.
    It was definitely tenure that convinced him to leave St Kilda as they wouldn't extend him past 2020 when we were offering 4 years. However it is reasonable to assume he is on around $500k as that is reportedly what he was on at the Saints, and it feels about right given his form prior to last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It was definitely tenure that convinced him to leave St Kilda as they wouldn't extend him past 2020 when we were offering 4 years. However it is reasonable to assume he is on around $500k as that is reportedly what he was on at the Saints, and it feels about right given his form prior to last season.
    Axe when I saw your name as the most recent reply to this thread I was almost certain I was in line for a gentle reminder of a particular thread that may have this type of detail!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Cody Raak invited to train with Dogs making it 4 players now. Is there still a Cat B spot available?

17. Thanks Eastdog, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post