Thanks Thanks:  79
Likes Likes:  90
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice Game snippets

The WOOF network has some far reaching powers so I was fortunate to have this sent to me and that I could share this with our community

General

I didn't see all of the game.

Teams seemed very much split into seniors versus reserves. Seniors in light blue and reserves in black.

Blue team won something like 90-50.

My eye sight is not what it once was, my vantage point was poor and the players are not wearing numbers, some wearing hats etc so apologies for not getting some of the details we are all after. Blue team were doing all of the attacking which meant I barely saw blue backs and black forwards. I also couldn’t see much of the far wing where I assume Jong was playing. Much of the stuff I wanted answered I either couldn’t see or ran out of time to check.

Blue team

English
    Martin
    Dale
    Vandermeer
    Bruce
    Wallis
    Hunter
    Macrae
    B.Smith
    JJ
    Daniel
    Libba
    Dunkley
    Gardiner
    Pretty sure Bont, Lipinski and Crozier were as well. Not sure how I missed Bont but I wasn’t really looking for him. A left footed defender got a goal from a 50m penalty late that seemed to be Crozier.

Black Team

Schache
    Khamis
    Raak
    Jamarra
    West
    Hayes
    Smith
    Ed
    Sweet

Things worth noting

Shocking day for football, hot and windy not really the best day to watch.

Full field umpire contingent and there was 3 50m penalties for the man on the mark rule while I was there.

Some major mismatches for the blue forwards with Khamis, Raak and others taking much bigger opponents for the black team.

English- 80-20 forward/ruck minimal time in ruck while I was there. Starting about 40m from goal at the bounce and working well up the ground when required for a down the line target but noticeably pushing hard forward into space when coming in from the fat side. English had 3 shots on goal while I was there and kicked a goal. Took a big clunk down the line as well (defensive wing) that he then followed and got an uncontested mark forward.

Bruce- starting off the goal line. Took two inside 50 marks while I was there. Clever pass to English from one of them. Looks springier when jumping at the ball and more mobile. Had Khamis for most of it.

Martin- Took a 1 on 1 contested mark inside 50 at one point and passed it off. Seemed very even in the middle for taps which isn’t surprising.

West- Stood out for the black team. Speed and power from congestion very evident and he played genuine midfield. Came out of congestion a couple of times (once from a CB) and evaded tacklers before distributing.

Vandermeer- Very lively on the Hawkins wing where most of the space was. Appeared to be playing more high half forward than wing but involved in everything when the ball was switched to that side of the ground and play was open. Kicked a goal in the last qtr.

Wallis- Deep forward and kicked 2 goals while I was there. One on the lead to the pocket and 1 running back into space on a fast, open play from defence.

Dale- Forward for the blue team and had at least 3 shots while I was there and kicked a couple. Looked dangerous but the ball spent lots of time at the blue end so he had quite a few chances. Looked more likely in the dead pocket where the ball was holding up and he could work his leads and angles.

Richards- Half back for the black team. The touches he got were under immense pressure and windy conditions didn’t help.

Roarke- Wing for black team

Libba- Seemed to get a heap in the middle

Macrae- midfield

Dunkley- midfield

Gardiner- Played on Jamarra for a little bit and beat him twice.

Jamarra- Fair way off at the moment would be my hunch. Hard to see much coming from anyone who didn’t play last year. In fairness it was a small sample size and most of his play was at the far end but that is the general feel I am getting. Played off the goal line at each bounce for the black team.

Caleb- Half back

JJ- half back

Hunter- had it on a string.

Forward 6 for blue team appeared to be English, Bruce, Wallis, Dale, Vandermeer and a resting/rotating mid.

Not going to repeat the number of goals from a previous internal match that a bystander told me but Naughton apparently tore one of the previous intra clubs apart with a bag of goals. I couldn’t see him anywhere on the ground when I arrived but consensus was that he has been dominant.

Both teams defending quite high which made it scrappy in the wind. Wasn’t much space until a team broke through that press and then it was a foot race.

Schache- Was at the other end in last qtr but appeared to get involved heavily late with 2-3 marks and a goal.

Raak- Played relatively deep as a defender.

Hayes- Seemed to be on a wing for the black team.

Couldn’t see Treloar
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Game snippets

Appreciate you posting this GVG. While other clubs post extended highlight videos and official match sim reports to give their supporters some insights, we rely on these tidbits to get excited.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.

Preseason is flying by without much noise. The rule change is the first thing that’s caught my attention.

Post Thanks / Like

So...you feeling up to repeating the number of goals Naughton kicked yet?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Appreciate you posting this GVG. While other clubs post extended highlight videos and official match sim reports to give their supporters some insights, we rely on these tidbits to get excited.
    Under McCartney's tenure we seemed to become more conservative with the kind of details we make public. Under Bevo's reign that seems to have increased, and I don't think the balance is right. Sure we want to protect IP, but at what cost and to what benefit?
    I think the club is underestimating the positive impact of using pre-season insights as a legitimate means to stimulate fan interest and in turn increase memberships.
    Surely there has to be a middle ground.
    To have to rely on tid-bits from supporters who happen to attend training is not engaging, and seems at odds with the clubs message to its members about the club being 'energised by its people' and being 'born to stick together and made of the red,white and blue'.
    The disconnect between club rhetoric and what they actually deliver in terms of meaningful and engaging communication with it's members is not acceptable.

6. Likes merantau, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So...you feeling up to repeating the number of goals Naughton kicked yet?
    I think he kicked 7 last week in a practice game

8. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That rules. If you’re allowed to wear a headband in season I see no reason why he can’t do that every week.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Under McCartney's tenure we seemed to become more conservative with the kind of details we make public. Under Bevo's reign that seems to have increased, and I don't think the balance is right. Sure we want to protect IP, but at what cost and to what benefit?
    I think the club is underestimating the positive impact of using pre-season insights as a legitimate means to stimulate fan interest and in turn increase memberships.
    Surely there has to be a middle ground.
    To have to rely on tid-bits from supporters who happen to attend training is not engaging, and seems at odds with the clubs message to its members about the club being 'energised by its people' and being 'born to stick together and made of the red,white and blue'.
    The disconnect between club rhetoric and what they actually deliver in terms of meaningful and engaging communication with it's members is not acceptable.
    I've really noticed the efforts to reduce supporter access to match simulations and training sessions under Bevo.
    From the cancellation of the East meets West day, which was a terrific training session for fans, to reduced access to practice games
    I think if you're a fan who liked to get to those events and sessions there has been a significant reduction in opportunities of being able to watch the players outside of the seasons games.
    The website has improved a lot but 2 or 3 minute edited highlights of training or practice games just isn't the same for me and I think many others.

Perhaps this is right across the competition but I do miss going to training sessions this time of the year and being able to see the players running around
    After 14 or 15 years of being a player sponsor I'm starting to reconsider if it's worth it because I'm losing ground on what I previously enjoyed. Covid doesn't help but it's getting harder to stay connected to the club as someone living in Melbourne and willing to go to training sessions, practice and preseason games. Outside of the season there isn't as much between seasons as I have previously enjoyed

Under the McCartney era (not a reflection of his coaching) I actually went along to vastly more club functions and felt a greater level of connection with the club.

12. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not going to repeat the number of goals from a previous internal match that a bystander told me but Naughton apparently tore one of the previous intra clubs apart with a bag of goals. I couldn’t see him anywhere on the ground when I arrived but consensus was that he has been dominant.
    The bolded part almost gave me a heart attack!

Good to see Raak is still training with us because for some reason he dropped off the official AFL training list who have only been listing Macpherson, Scott and Preston.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That rules. If you’re allowed to wear a headband in season I see no reason why he can’t do that every week.
    Can't wait until someone chucks it into the crowd a la Bruce Doull.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this speaks more to Naughts and not our defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Both teams defending quite high which made it scrappy in the wind. Wasn’t much space until a team broke through that press and then it was a foot race.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Hopefully this speaks more to Naughts and not our defence.
    Insert whynotboth.gif
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's so frustrating. The best bit of pre-seasons used to be overly detailed training reports from posters here.

We must be the worst club in the competition at engaging our supporters with non match stuff:
    -No one is allowed to watch us train
    -No one is allowed to watch our intraclubs
    -We give nothing more than the briefest of articles and a highlights video consistig of 2-3 second clips when we do release something
    -We provided minimal information about our reserves performances last season
    -We provided no information about anybody other than the four players who were ok in the reserves last season. For example Khamis may as well as not existed last year.
    -We provide no insight into what we can expect this year, aside from the same few articles about the same few players who speak well (Dunkley, Wallis, Bont).

For comparism Carlton released comprehensive match reports after every scratch match last year covering every listed player, they have also had a series of articles where they talk about a handful of players in each position and how their pre-season is going (ie. Their defenders article covered Petrevski-Seton, Plowman, Newman, Parks, Williamson and Saad) plus a ten minute interview with the coach. Essendon has fairly in depth articles with the respective line coaches about their area (Gia does a good one about their Defence), and they also have a great 10 minute video with proper highlights from their intraclub not just artistic shots of players kicking it.

I appreciate that we post a lot of videos of things happening to players (like the announcement of Wallis as Vice Captain) but man we give our supporters absolutely nothing on field apart from the briefest of match reports.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

19. Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've really noticed the efforts to reduce supporter access to match simulations and training sessions under Bevo.
    From the cancellation of the East meets West day, which was a terrific training session for fans, to reduced access to practice games
    I think if you're a fan who liked to get to those events and sessions there has been a significant reduction in opportunities of being able to watch the players outside of the seasons games.
    The website has improved a lot but 2 or 3 minute edited highlights of training or practice games just isn't the same for me and I think many others.

Perhaps this is right across the competition but I do miss going to training sessions this time of the year and being able to see the players running around
    After 15 years of being a player sponsor I'm starting to reconsider if it's worth it because I'm losing ground on what I previously enjoyed. Covid doesn't help but it's getting harder to stay connected to the club as someone living in Melbourne and willing to go to training sessions, practice and preseason games. Outside of the season there isn't as much between seasons as I have previously enjoyed

Under the McCartney era (not a reflection of his coaching) I actually went along to vastly more club functions and felt a greater level of connection with the club.
    I really hope someone at the club is reading this stuff. If that is reflective of the overall member experience, the club really needs to reflect and adjust their approach.