Thanks Thanks:  66
Likes Likes:  249
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Sure if we had come out and belted them then it would probably be more comfortable, but this stuff is really more about trial and error with the ball in hand than it is about manic intensity. Do any of us *really* have concerns over Bont’s disposal or Bailey Smith’s trajectory?
    No, those 2 should be fine. It's everywhere besides the midfield that concerns me and nothing from yesterday addressed that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No, those 2 should be fine. It's everywhere besides the midfield that concerns me and nothing from yesterday addressed that.
    Backline partial agree. Gardner is still a worry and Keath got lost with the ball in the air a couple of times yesterday (which given how he plays is a bit of a big yikes). But most of the forwards were pretty good across both games?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Backline partial agree. Gardner is still a worry and Keath got lost with the ball in the air a couple of times yesterday (which given how he plays is a bit of a big yikes). But most of the forwards were pretty good across both games?
    Individually they were fine, but I'm looking for signs of a cohesive system that will stand up against the best sides. Obviously hard to judge without Naughton there, but I just don't think we're strong enough down there with Wallis, Dale, West and Vandermeer as our medium/smalls.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading Steven King's comments after the game yesterday he made it pretty clear Martin will be first ruck with English starting forward. Went on to say that Stef will have to "learn how to play forward in our system".

Post Thanks / Like

Individually they were fine, but I'm looking for signs of a cohesive system that will stand up against the best sides. Obviously hard to judge without Naughton there, but I just don't think we're strong enough down there with Wallis, Dale, West and Vandermeer as our medium/smalls.

Whilst the things you're concerned about are the things I really want to see change, I'm, just not convinced we were ever going to be able to test that in the first practice game (not even a pre-season level match). If this is still showing rnd 1, then sound the alarms.
    I'm happy we didn't incur any significant injury, and the boys got a run under their belt.
    If anything a praccy game loss, really reinforces the work they still need to do and hopefully that augurs well for a team that doesn't just think it's going to all click come round 1.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 25-02-2021 at 01:21 PM.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of these guys will even play?

I'm thinking 1 maybe 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How many of these guys will even play?

I'm thinking 1 maybe 2.
    I think Wallis and Vandermeer are definites, West a good chance if he follows up over the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

One question I have, is what were the rotation numbers for each team? Not sure if it was mentioned in the broadcast or listed anywhere.

Traditionally Bevo has been a 'practise how we play' kinda guy, sticking to the prescribed interchanges despite our opponents often throwing restrictions out the window.

I seem to remember we have been run over late in quarters and in the last quarter in preseason games where this has been a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    One question I have, is what were the rotation numbers for each team? Not sure if it was mentioned in the broadcast or listed anywhere.

Traditionally Bevo has been a 'practise how we play' kinda guy, sticking to the prescribed interchanges despite our opponents often throwing restrictions out the window.

I seem to remember we have been run over late in quarters and in the last quarter in preseason games where this has been a thing.
    I thought I heard that the Hawks had 6 on the bench to our 5, not sure of rotation numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Reading Steven King's comments after the game yesterday he made it pretty clear Martin will be first ruck with English starting forward. Went on to say that Stef will have to "learn how to play forward in our system".
    I have very little faith that Stef Martin will be a threat when resting forward for us.
    I have an enormous amount of faith that English is a real threat forward of the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I heard that the Hawks had 6 on the bench to our 5, not sure of rotation numbers.
    They did but I think Granger-Barrass only played a half for the Hawks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think Wallis and Vandermeer are definites, West a good chance if he follows up over the next few weeks.
    It's sure going to be interesting with how we fit all the mids into the team and try and keep some ''pure'' small/ mid forwards in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I have very little faith that Stef Martin will be a threat when resting forward for us.
    I have an enormous amount of faith that English is a real threat forward of the ball.
    Do you have enormous faith that our forward-line will function with English up forward with Bruce & Naughton down there too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's sure going to be interesting with how we fit all the mids into the team and try and keep some ''pure'' small/ mid forwards in there too.

Do you have enormous faith that our forward-line will function with English up forward with Bruce & Naughton down there too?
    To be fair though, if Naughton takes Dale’s spot, he’s better in the air, better at ground level and quicker with defensive pressure. It’s not like he’s a liability when the ball hits the deck. And really, could our forward line function less well? Not saying it’s a sure thing, but it’s worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis Bruce West
    English Naughton Vandermeer

That's how I think we'll line up in round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    To be fair though, if Naughton takes Dale’s spot, he’s better in the air, better at ground level and quicker with defensive pressure. It’s not like he’s a liability when the ball hits the deck. And really, could our forward line function less well? Not saying it’s a sure thing, but it’s worth a shot.
    We're lucky that Naughts is our best air & ground player in the front half as he will help cover off the deficiencies of others.

Wallis Bruce West
    English Naughton Vandermeer

That's how I think we'll line up in round 1.
    That means Dunkley & B.Smith start on the bench? Maybe another pure mid too depending on who plays on the ''other'' wing? (Hunter on one)

I can't see how we play all of West, Wallis & VD given how many mids we need to fit in.