Thanks Thanks:  66
Likes Likes:  249
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Cody Raak invited to train with Dogs making it 4 players now. Is there still a Cat B spot available?
    Is this with Footscray Smads?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    ...why was the MC immune from criticism for selecting him regardless last season?
    I was frustrated with his continued selection but I rarely comment on selection. Well - I don't think I do.

As I have said numerous times, selection is REALLY hard and I just don't know enough about what is going on at the club - particularly in 2020 with no VFL form-lines - to say much.

It was annoying at times that Bruce could seemingly do 'nothing' and be selected whilst the bar was so much higher for other players (Schache in particular). That said, I have (again, I think) been consistent in saying that when Schache was dropped this year AND it was seemingly for the same 'effort-based' issues that had seen him out of the side previously (both with us and with the Lions) I suspected he would be out of the side for a L-O-N-G time.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Cody Raak invited to train with Dogs making it 4 players now. Is there still a Cat B spot available?
    He was our other Next Generation Academy player I believe.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I was frustrated with his continued selection but I rarely comment on selection. Well - I don't think I do.

As I have said numerous times, selection is REALLY hard and I just don't know enough about what is going on at the club - particularly in 2020 with no VFL form-lines - to say much.

It was annoying at times that Bruce could seemingly do 'nothing' and be selected whilst the bar was so much higher for other players (Schache in particular). That said, I have (again, I think) been consistent in saying that when Schache was dropped this year AND it was seemingly for the same 'effort-based' issues that had seen him out of the side previously (both with us and with the Lions) I suspected he would be out of the side for a L-O-N-G time.
    As misguided and cumbersome as some of his effort was, Bruce I don't think was really criticised for not having an honest crack on game day......as it was obvious he was.

I find it interesting that after at least anecdotal reports from the likes of Mofra and others around Lewis Young's conditioning and effort throughout the 2020 season and the stigma Schache carries (or Trengove's papers being stamped rightly or wrongly) that we search for reasons other than what's probably staring us in the face to understand Bruce's ongoing selection. I'm not saying it was right, rather, just saying there's probably no ulterior motive or face saving associated with it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra, Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

While I agree that at times selections might at times be difficult if you stick to the fundamentals of form and results let alone the many questions being asked about his weight and fitness I don't think a decision to drop him and make him earn his spot would have been a difficult one.

I think there is a chance we didn't want the media focusing on his omission and hoped he would work his way out of a slump

Post Thanks / Like

Is this with Footscray Smads?
    it is with the AFL team per tweet from Western Bulldogs at 2.20 pm today. The website has also been updated to note 4 players are now training (versus 3)

9. Thanks Eastdog, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-with-bulldogs

Four players to train with Bulldogs
    Western Bulldogs have been granted permission for four additional players to train with the AFL squad when they return in 2021.

The Western Bulldogs have been granted permission for four additional players to train with the AFL squad when they return in 2021.

Footscray’s 2019 best and fairest, Anthony Scott, is one of those players, alongside father-son prospect Ewan Macpherson, Next Generation Academy youngster Cody Raak and Eastern Ranges product Corey Preston.

Scott, a goal-kicking midfielder, had been elevated to the vice-captaincy at Footscray for 2020 before the season was called off due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Macpherson, an 18-year-old small defender from the Northern Knights, is the son of 188-game Bulldog Steve and younger brother of Gold Coast Sun, Darcy.

Raak is a key defender from Caroline Springs who has come through the Western Jets program, while Preston is an 18-year-old small forward from Ferntree Gully.

Scott and Preston joined the Bulldogs’ pre-season program this week, with Macpherson and Raak to join in from next week.

The Bulldogs are one of seven clubs to take on train-on players as part of the AFL Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP).

With the retirement of forward Sam Lloyd, the Bulldogs could elect to add a player to their list for 2021. Players who suffer season-ending injuries can also be replaced, if they are added to the inactive list.

Players can be signed as part of the SSP between Wednesday 6 January and Tuesday 9 March.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

11. Thanks jeemak, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We cannot find a KP defender to train with us?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Well I think Raak is supposed to be one, albeit firmly in the development category.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Sam Darcy, come on down (next draft, ofcourse).
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do find it a little strange MacPherson and Raak training with us - they have been under our eye for many years - what more do we hope to learn about them? Perhaps the lack of under 18 footy this year is the answer?

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    As misguided and cumbersome as some of his effort was, Bruce I don't think was really criticised for not having an honest crack on game day......as it was obvious he was.
    Oh man yes he was, by me anyway. His half arsed final contest against the Saints that, in a vacuum, cost us the game had me ready to throw my tv off the balcony.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Oh man yes he was, by me anyway. His half arsed final contest against the Saints that, in a vacuum, cost us the game had me ready to throw my tv off the balcony.
    Peeling off and letting Membrey go up uncontested still burns. He'd crashed every marking attempt (including his own teammates) all day, then decides to hang back at a critical moment in the game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I do find it a little strange MacPherson and Raak training with us - they have been under our eye for many years - what more do we hope to learn about them? Perhaps the lack of under 18 footy this year is the answer?
    While I agree on both observations, list spots are incredibly tight, perhaps the 'who wants it more' rule applies

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree on both observations, list spots are incredibly tight, perhaps the 'who wants it more' rule applies
    Perhaps, although since Raak is competing with nobody it would be very disappointing if he didn't want it the most (assuming we can still add him as a category B rookie).