Thanks Thanks:  66
Likes Likes:  249
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We're lucky that Naughts is our best air & ground player in the front half as he will help cover off the deficiencies of others.

That means Dunkley & B.Smith start on the bench? Maybe another pure mid too depending on who plays on the ''other'' wing? (Hunter on one)

I can't see how we play all of West, Wallis & VD given how many mids we need to fit in.
    I think it'll be something like this:

Wallis Bruce West
    English Naughton Vandermeer
    Hunter Dunkley Macrae
    Richards Gardner Daniel
    Crozier Keath Williams

Martin Bont Treloar

JJ Baz Libba Duryea
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think it'll be something like this:

Wallis Bruce West
    English Naughton Vandermeer
    Hunter Dunkley Macrae
    Richards Gardner Daniel
    Crozier Keath Williams

Martin Bont Treloar

JJ Baz Libba Duryea
    Interesting to hear on the broadcast that JJ has been training over summer further up the ground too. Not 100% sure if it was with mids or forwards. Did someone else hear it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Interesting to hear on the broadcast that JJ has been training over summer further up the ground too. Not 100% sure if it was with mids or forwards. Did someone else hear it?
    Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    From JJ a couple of weeks ago:

“I’ll most likely predominantly play half-back, but I’ve told ‘Bevo’ that I’m just happy to play wherever the team needs me,” he told Dwayne Russell on SEN 1116.

“If the team is lacking speed up forward or needs a bit of speed on the wing, I’m happy to play there, but I’ll (mostly) play half-back with Caleb Daniel, Bailey Williams and Hayden Crozier.

5. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well North just got done by the Saints by 15 goals in their scratch match so it could be worse.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do you have enormous faith that our forward-line will function with English up forward with Bruce & Naughton down there too?
    Yes. Naughton is quick, seriously quick and at times last year and in 2019 was our best forward at applying defensive pressure.
    Straight swap for Dale makes us better ahead of the ball.
    English and Bruce seemed to stay our of each other's way pretty well so it can be taught.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Individually they were fine, but I'm looking for signs of a cohesive system that will stand up against the best sides.
    This is my biggest concern coming out of yesterday (and on reflection has been a concern for some time).

Our "system" is chuck a bunch of theoretically good players into the same side and tell them to handball a lot. Nothing about the way we play shows me we are better than the sum of all parts (and often we are worse).

For the forward line, its just a collection of mediocre forwards trying to do their thing. Except Naughton and Bruce do the same thing. All of our medium sized medium paced guys do the same thing. Wallis does his own thing, but I'm not sure he can afford to do that when we try to play three talls up there, especially when two of them are Bruce and Martin trying to play as deep big targets.

Our midfield is stacked for talent, but they don't compliment each other. There are no grunts, and nobody sacrifices their own game for the betterment of others (or if they do they then ask for a trade to Essendon so they don't have to anymore).

Our backing is a shambles, we have about 3 intercept defenders, 1 third tall, and the rest are all rebounders. There is no one we can trust to just do their job and allow the others to do theirs, they are all trying to be everything.

Obviously there are exceptions to this and I assume this is not the plan, but it is exactly how we have played for years. Bizarrely when we were good (5 years ago now) we had a system in defence and midfield especially where by working as a group those areas were good and made guys like Biggs, Roberts, Hamling, McLean and many others look good because they worked well in the system.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes GVGjr, Dancin' Douggy, Threedogs liked this post