Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why I'm starting to hate the trade period

This has been building over a few years now but I'm really starting to despise the way the trade period is being conducted

I get the game has moved into a more ruthless approach for many clubs but the clean out by North of contracted and non contracted players does nothing for the game as far as I am concerned. Way to build a culture North

The fire sale of 3 very good players by Collingwood and the reasons provided by the coach Nathan Buckley today is just a cover up for a series of exceptionally poor management and short term decisions by the club to back end so many player contracts and then bail out of them when a flag couldn't be won. To say that the club can make an assessment of how a player like Treloar will perform his duties because of new living arrangements he has made with his partner crosses the line of sensibility and what should be expected in the employment contract between clubs and players. "Side by side they stick together" hey?

The way Essendon chased after Josh Dunkley, who had two years to go on a contract, and the way that we fielded the offers doesn't sit well with me despite the fact that ultimately we were able to hang onto Dunkley.

To have Adelaide chase after Jackson Hately in a bid to bring him home to SA but then only offer pick 42 to GWS who have pumped two years of development into him and then pick him up in the pre-season draft isn't a good outcome for the competition from my perspective. If the AFL can plug the hole of the attempted manipulation of the Brad Crouch to StKilda effort means they should have been able to make sure that GWS was adequately compensated Hately

And finally, for many clubs the trade period has gone from acquiring players or picks to improve your list to an almost Jenny Craig type calorie counting exercise based on getting 'draft value index' points more giving something tangible to get something tangible back. Player for player trades are almost non existent

The clubs, players and their player manager leeches need to get back to the fundamentals of striking good contracts and sticking to them. How Tim Hazel allowed for Treloars contract to be back ended not once but twice to a point that he was nearly priced out of the competition is an indictment to the process

The AFL needs to bring in financial management rules that don't have clubs back ending or front loading contracts in an effort to position themselves for a short term effort at winning a flag.

Contracts shouldn't be allowed to move more than 15% of the average value of the term of the contract

Get rid of the current bidding process for NGA and perhaps we need to have a rethink of father son selections

There is some significant work to do to get this right, I'll add some more thoughts a bit later
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why I'm starting to hate the trade period

To avoid afel manipulation, end free agency compo. ASAP.
    Limit clubs use of free agents incoming.
    End NGA players links, up to pick 52 (where free bidding currently sits).
    Revert back to a fixed position on F/S.
    The above ends draft points.
    Wind back Northern State Academies.
    Allow clubs to trade pre-season draft picks. Or, better yet kill the PSD.
    With no PSD, don’t allow players refusing a contract to walk out for free/as free agents. Put them in the ND.
    Clubs should continue to hold contracted players if they would like a trade but it doesn’t happen.
    Have a purely untainted, Uncompromised draft process.
    I don’t think tanking is what it was a few years ago. But a ballot on the bottom 4 could have merit.
    Streamline the rules on top of rule on top of rules.
    As long as TPP & player manager rules are enforced, you can’t stop clubs doing stupid things. If North & Collingwood think this is the best for their club, so be it.

That’s a few of my initial thoughts which may or may not have merit. Oh, and don’t drag draft night out for more than a few hours.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes bornadog, jeemak, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the AFLPA can get out of that assessment either. They have given players more power in their movement but has it been to the detriment of equalization.
    Players nominating clubs that they want to go too and reducing clubs from getting reasonable return on their development.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good posts.

I'm a bit unsure how I feel about the post season. What I am sure about though is that I have absolutely no idea how people could put themselves through listening to Trade Radio or SEN, or watching ch7 news on a daily basis throughout.

Possibly I'm a bit more cynical than you G, though I'm resigned to players coming and going now whether that be at the behest of the club or the players themselves. In principle I have no issue with players and clubs wanting to move on from each other, however, I wish they'd not conflate moving on for anything other than what it usually is (money/ business). The clubs, players and coaches have pretty much accepted it's the way of the future, it's the fans that haven't caught up.

The hype machine that drums along throughout is tiresome as well, I guess coming out of it with a far superior hand than what we entered with makes it bearable this year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the covid situation, perhaps a lot of staff are fearing for their jobs. Being more ruthless. Wonder if this feeds into it. A more dog eat dog environment.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what you’ve said GVG.

It used to be an intriguing time of year (I suppose it still is) but there’s too much media, too much time to do deals, and so many clubs who don’t act in good faith (player managers too) to the detriment of their players. Some of BT’s suggestions have some merit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I don't think the AFLPA can get out of that assessment either. They have given players more power in their movement but has it been to the detriment of equalization.
    Players nominating clubs that they want to go too and reducing clubs from getting reasonable return on their development.
    Pretty sure the players and AFLPA couldn’t give a shot about equalisation. They want as much cash and freedom of movement for players on their own terms as they can get.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like a no poaching players until they are in their last year of contract.
    A cap on single player salary and a cap on contract years.
    Player Managers on a set wage per player.

I think player managers have a lot to answer for.

Bottom 8 teams go in a raffle for the first 8 draft picks.
    Bring back the biff

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade week/Transfer window is a media play. Its a way of keeping momentum going on the AFL. So whilst it does not get bums on seats the constant dialiogue, speculation, lies act as click bait/ratings drivers etc. It is the same in the UK.

Trade week/Transfer window is now less about the player movements and all about the speculation and conversation that it generates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Trade week/Transfer window is a media play. Its a way of keeping momentum going on the AFL. So whilst it does not get bums on seats the constant dialiogue, speculation, lies act as click bait/ratings drivers etc. It is the same in the UK.

Trade week/Transfer window is now less about the player movements and all about the speculation and conversation that it generates.
    Oh that is so true, the media make up 100 trades all ifs and buts and if one works they claim to be experts.
    The way social media works nowadays one reporter makes up a story and the sheep all believe it , I think 90% of the time it’s just for a click but it does cause players mentioned some criticism and Online abuse even though it’s not true.
    Then the media bring up the abuse players cop but in reality they started it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Players as commodities, “Trade Radio” as entertainment, contracts that are meaningless with no consequences for clubs inducing players to break them, callous disregard for young men’s wellbeing on the one hand, greed and lack of loyalty on the other. Every year it gets harder to stomach and more disillusioning.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Premiership teams are lucky to get the Sunday after the flag to have some media exposure before the scribes start talking endlessly about a borderline delist candidate having morphed into Polly Farmer overnight during the trade period.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Oh that is so true, the media make up 100 trades all ifs and buts and if one works they claim to be experts.
    The way social media works nowadays one reporter makes up a story and the sheep all believe it , I think 90% of the time it’s just for a click but it does cause players mentioned some criticism and Online abuse even though it’s not true.
    Then the media bring up the abuse players cop but in reality they started it.
    Think about it though. As a news agency your revenues on your web page are all about hits. More hits, the mort you can charge for advertising space. Its actually in your interests to make up "fake news" so that people click. More clicks = more views = more advertising revenue. Trade week is not about the players its about the media and advertising slots.

I would go so far as to argue that Mission loved the fact that Dunks was targeted, because it go the Mission sponsored Bulldogs into the news.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this year people were happy to have the distraction to be fair.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I would like a no poaching players until they are in their last year of contract.
    A cap on single player salary and a cap on contract years.
    Player Managers on a set wage per player.

I think player managers have a lot to answer for.

Bottom 8 teams go in a raffle for the first 8 draft picks.
    When it is a case of several clubs offering the same money I am sure agents are able to act more objectively and in the best interests of their client.

But Pickering stands to earn a huge bonus if Dunkley signs with Essendon (from both the 5% or whatever from the contract and also from his share of what they were likely going to offer above and beyond commercially on the side. One wonders if any managerial advice in this type of circumstance points in the direction of the giant sacks of cash.

22. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post