Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why I'm starting to hate the trade period

I have less of an issue with player agents. They are there to get the best deal for their player period. They are not there for the clubs. For every Dunkley, there is a Trengove or a Porter where the player manager will do a load of work and it will come to nothing (I suppose Dunks came to nothing as well). The industry tends to spit out the player managers that take too hard a line looking after their self interest. Pickers must have felt that a) he had a reasonable chance of getting Dunks to Essendon; and b) the pay day for DUnks would have been well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I have less of an issue with player agents. They are there to get the best deal for their player period. They are not there for the clubs. For every Dunkley, there is a Trengove or a Porter where the player manager will do a load of work and it will come to nothing (I suppose Dunks came to nothing as well). The industry tends to spit out the player managers that take too hard a line looking after their self interest. Pickers must have felt that a) he had a reasonable chance of getting Dunks to Essendon; and b) the pay day for DUnks would have been well worth it.
    But Pickering obviously told him to sign a three year deal with us, that’s a hypocrite wouldn’t you think ?
    Sign for three years and after one he is trying to get him out of it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    But Pickering obviously told him to sign a three year deal with us, that’s a hypocrite wouldn’t you think ?
    Not really, because at the time that was the deal on the table.

Pickering said Dunkley wanted to get to Essendon because it was a far superior deal, though also said his client would fulfill his current contract professionally if it couldn't be done.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not really, because at the time that was the deal on the table.

Pickering said Dunkley wanted to get to Essendon because it was a far superior deal, though also said his client would fulfill his current contract professionally if it couldn't be done.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Thing is I could make a better offer but if you do you must go through with it.
    Essendon dropped Dunkley like a hot potato.
    All they did was end up putting Dunkley in an awkward situation.
    Maybe Essendon had no intention of getting him at all this year but wanted to start doubt for the next year or so in Dunkleys mind about staying at the club.
    I hope Dunkley sees that the bombers ran away when it mattered and we can bring him back to loving our club.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

In the absence of a better deal, Pickering gave the right advice. 12 months later a better deal emerges. Pickering would be doing Dunks a disservice if they didn't try to orchestrate the deal! At the end of the day the decision to seek the trade and come out publicly was Dunk's. That's why to me its all about Dunks, not Pickering.

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is I could make a better offer but if you do you must go through with it.
    Essendon dropped Dunkley like a hot potato.
    All they did was end up putting Dunkley in an awkward situation.
    Maybe Essendon had no intention of getting him at all this year but wanted to start doubt for the next year or so in Dunkleys mind about staying at the club.
    I hope Dunkley sees that the bombers ran away when it mattered and we can bring him back to loving our club.
    Ahhhh...hammer....nail....head! That position was made worse by Dunks coming out publicly. Classic rule in business is you don't threaten to leave......you leave! No point p*ssing around. The issues that caused you to want to leave are likely still there and to be honest what you do is hand your employer the initiative. Would not surprise me if Dunks is on the trade table next year....

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh...hammer....nail....head! That position was made worse by Dunks coming out publicly. Classic rule in business is you don't threaten to leave......you leave! No point p*ssing around. The issues that caused you to want to leave are likely still there and to be honest what you do is hand your employer the initiative. Would not surprise me if Dunks is on the trade table next year....
    I think Ledge was talking about the bummers.

I don't see Dunkley going anywhere. Essendon has made him and his family look a bit silly....not by what they weren't prepared to do, rather, by the pittance they were prepared to offer. We stated it needed to be two good first round picks to get him across, Essendon waited the entire trade period to offer one good first round and a future second round, when they had those picks the entire time they were talking to us. If they had have offered them straight up, and disclosed what they thought would genuinely get it done THEN we could have actually started negotiating.

There is no way we wouldn't have taken pick 6-8 and something around pick 12-14 to get Dunkley to Essendon. We were into it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn’t threaten to leave , he had two years of a contract to go so he couldn’t “ threaten to leave “
    To threaten is to mean he will do something if he doesn’t go, which wasn’t the case.
    The truth is probably he was given an offer and told the bulldogs about it and would like to explore it .
    He didn’t burn any bridges at the club and to be honest probably woke the club up to a few problems, always a good thing.
    Now the question is were they a club problem or a Dunkley problem ?
    The club “Ameet Bain’s “ seem to allude it was a club issue as he carefully answered the questions with “issues will be worked out and he will back in the fold by pre season training “
    What happened with Dunkley could be a godsend for the club, one of the supposed issues was rucking and we have solved that one.
    Maybe we might see Dunkley given an extension and more $$$ if he plays well.
    To be honest I don’t see essendon chasing him again.
    Bring back the biff