Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Adam Cooney feels more welcome at Tullamarine than whitten oval

Despite playing 219 games for the Western Bulldogs and being their only Brownlow Medallist of the 21st century, Adam Cooney admits he feels more welcome at his second club Essendon.

Cooney was traded to Essendon in the 2014 trade period and played 31 games for the club across 2015 and 2016 before retiring.

The former All-Australian says the Bombers have been in constant contact with him since he retired, while he hasn’t been welcomed back to the Whitten Oval since 2014.

“No (I don’t feel welcome back at the Bulldogs). I haven’t been back to the Bulldogs since I left,” Cooney told SEN SA Breakfast when asked.
    Rest of the article is here
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why adam cooney feels more welcome at tullamarine than whitten oval

I don't have much time for Coons anymore as he is little more than an Essendon sycophant in his media duties, but I do hope the club reaches out to mend the bridge with him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He is an attention seeking wanker.

Had no problems joining in with the Dogs in GF week.

Post Thanks / Like

When you walked out the door saying that you've always wanted to play in front of big crowds...

Oh Adam we love you. Come back and slag us off to the footy media again. We the footy going Bulldogs love when you insult us. I can't believe people aren't bowing at your alter.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What's the point of airing such a view? Light a candle, don't curse the darkness. If you feel happier at another club celebrate it and leave us out.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes Max469, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since he started with Essendon he has basically forgotten about us. I am sure the past players have been in contact with him regarding events and getting involved but he has probably just ignored it.

As GD says, what is the point of this article, just another excuse to slag the Dogs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't stand the tool. I hate seeing pictures of him in our colours. Much like Gryphen he's time is wiped from my memory, which isn't hard nowdays. Lol

9. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Can't stand the tool. I hate seeing pictures of him in our colours. Much like Gryphen he's time is wiped from my memory, which isn't hard nowdays. Lol
    I find that a bit unfair on Ryan, to tell the truth. 10 years, two B and F, All Australian under us and very complementary towards Macca on exit. <---- showing respect to us.

I have many good memories of watching him and he worked his guts out for us. There were times we were getting absolutely flogged and I clearly remember Ryan and Liam Picken especially refusing to give it up. eg: 47 possessions in a losing game smashed by the Swans....

Cooney, a little bit different as a character, was never captain or anything like that. We had very consistent output from Ryan over his time with us. I'm not sure the way he left reflected his entire effort and it's a pity.
    If I saw him at a Bulldogs function I'd really welcome him.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 17-11-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

11. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.athletesvoice.com.au/rya...nt-everything/

I mean, read this article and tell me you don't have a little sympathy for him.
    . To be honest I feel ( no basis for this, just a feeling ) it's quite likely a factor that Ryan left because he wasn't getting the right support. One factor. Not that he has ever mentioned that.

"There were some mixed emotions, I’ll admit that. All I’d wanted to do while I was playing there was win a flag. I knew how much the club and the fans wanted it. I’d put my body and soul on the line to try and achieve it, but it wasn’t to be.

At the same time, I was over the moon for everyone associated with the club, the fans and especially my mates who were on the field about to win the biggest prize of their careers."

"That first game against the Bulldogs was hard. Really hard. The Bulldogs meant everything to me and it hurt to be booed by the fans after playing there for 10 years."

His Dad passed away from cancer during his time with us. It's a good article that charts his journey that one.

13. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t hear it, but I bet Cooney was asked a question and he answered.

SEN then wrote a story about his answer...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I didn’t hear it, but I bet Cooney was asked a question and he answered.

SEN then wrote a story about his answer...
    Yeah, that’d be about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Cooney, if he felt happier at Essendon than at the Kennel that is his choice
    I don't quite get why he is relevant in the media though. I have heard much from him that interests me but we should be reaching out to him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Adam Cooney feels more welcome at Tullamarine than whitten oval

“(The Bombers have) just been in constant conversation with me since I retired.’

Wonder why that is? And why Goddard seems to know everything to do with Essendon?

There’s a derogatory term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders, but it feels a bit harsh to apply to a former Brownlow medalist of ours....though the shoe does fit
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good luck to Cooney, if he felt happier at Essendon than at the Kennel that is his choice
    I don't quite get why he is relevant in the media though. I have heard much from him that interests me but we should be reaching out to him.
    He's relatable like Dane Swan, doesn't care about political correctness
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Adam Cooney feels more welcome at Tullamarine than whitten oval

Coons is welcome to enjoy his 2016 wooden spoon reunions.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post