Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Treloar as an outside mid - Please explain.

They are seriously good highlights.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I just like his goal kicking nous - looks like an upgrade on both Dunks and Macrae
    An upgrade in terms of, overall or just the goal kicking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Apparently Treloar cant play on the outside.... Looks like the AFL.com highlights disagree
    Clip 1 - Started as an inside mid.
    Clip 2 - As above
    Clip 3 - Difficult to tell but certainly received the ball from Pendlebury INSIDE the contest
    Clip 4 - Inside mid - FORWARD of the contest to receive
    Clip 5 - Receives the ball inside the corridor from the hhf.

If you want to convince me Treloar is a good player, you don't need to do that. If you want to convince me he can play as a genuine 4-q outside mid then these highlights don't do it.

What the highlights do show are that Adam is an ELITE 1st hb receive player with great speed and good skills by foot - which I have already said. He also really rolls the dice to get ahead of the play and receive...which is what our mids already do...

I think we are right to be excited about the addition of Treloar to our team but he is an INSIDE midfielder and we have an absolute logjam at that position...changes are going to have to be made because in the past we have seen Macrae, Dunks and Liber all variously sook it up about playing forward OR basically just sucked at playing forward...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think we are right to be excited about the addition of Treloar to our team but he is an INSIDE midfielder and we have an absolute logjam at that position...changes are going to have to be made because in the past we have seen Macrae, Dunks and Liber all variously sook it up about playing forward OR basically just sucked at playing forward...
    They will have to rotate to HF as various points, while Macrae will have to rotate to the wing at times - he says about 18 words a year so he can sook in silence. Libba and Dunkley would be too slow for wing rotations IMO. I expect we play Martin for a dozen games this year (unless he miraculously becomes durable again at age 34) and fans would riot if Dunkley is thrown into the ruck again so there's half of that problem solved.

I don't think Libba can play 22 rounds with 22 quarters as an inside mid anyway - he'll be managed next year. Assuming nobody else cops an injury, which is unlikely with reduced rotations next year.

It's not Libba or Macrae or Smith who would be most impacted by Treloar's arrival - it's Lipinski/Roarke Smith/Hayes and perhaps Richards.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar could easily play 80% forward and be our best forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We're more likely to see Bont forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We're more likely to see Bont forward
    Treloar could be really damaging as a medium down there though playing the Lloyd / Dale role.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to convince me Treloar is a good player, you don't need to do that. If you want to convince me he can play as a genuine 4-q outside mid then these highlights don't do it. .
    Yep really only the last highlight could show an outside mid hope.

Great highlights and I love his confidence in front of goal which none of our mids have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Based on?

Collingwood, who also have a shitload of good mids, played Treloar exclusively as a mid. He may very well become our best forward but that would be because we only have two good forwards atm (Naughton and Wallis).

I'm more than happy to bring in fringe guys from other sides and see if they excel in a different role (Crozier being a great example), but I think if you bring in a guy who is so good in his position that you are paying him $600K+ and then try and see if he can justify that wage in a position he hasn't ever really played then you are gonna have a bad time.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes mjp, Mofra, 1eyedog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They will have to rotate to HF as various points, while Macrae will have to rotate to the wing at times - he says about 18 words a year so he can sook in silence. Libba and Dunkley would be too slow for wing rotations IMO. I expect we play Martin for a dozen games this year (unless he miraculously becomes durable again at age 34) and fans would riot if Dunkley is thrown into the ruck again so there's half of that problem solved.

I don't think Libba can play 22 rounds with 22 quarters as an inside mid anyway - he'll be managed next year. Assuming nobody else cops an injury, which is unlikely with reduced rotations next year.

It's not Libba or Macrae or Smith who would be most impacted by Treloar's arrival - it's Lipinski/Roarke Smith/Hayes and perhaps Richards.
    He might just do this. His first game EVER was when he was 19. Should think he might have some decent footy left in him. This year he was also cruelled by injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Based on?

Collingwood, who also have a shitload of good mids, played Treloar exclusively as a mid. He may very well become our best forward but that would be because we only have two good forwards atm (Naughton and Wallis).

I'm more than happy to bring in fringe guys from other sides and see if they excel in a different role (Crozier being a great example), but I think if you bring in a guy who is so good in his position that you are paying him $600K+ and then try and see if he can justify that wage in a position he hasn't ever really played then you are gonna have a bad time.
    He looks very sharp around goals at stoppages.

Post Thanks / Like

...and fans would riot if Dunkley is thrown into the ruck again...
    Taking the temperature of the room, I think the prevailing sentiment of fans right now is that Dunkley can suck it and play where he is told.

I might be wrong on this but it seems to me Dunks has moved from a favorite player who would be a super-star if the coach played him in the right spot to someone who has to earn his stripes and win back the trust and respect of the group. People are actively joking that with the recruitment of Martin AND the retention of Dunks our ruck-stocks have never been better.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes SquirrelGrip, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Players forgive and forget any issues these days their fellow teammates had. Personally I am happy to see Dunks back and spending more time in the guts.

16. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking the temperature of the room, I think the prevailing sentiment of fans right now is that Dunkley can suck it and play where he is told.

I might be wrong on this but it seems to me Dunks has moved from a favorite player who would be a super-star if the coach played him in the right spot to someone who has to earn his stripes and win back the trust and respect of the group. People are actively joking that with the recruitment of Martin AND the retention of Dunks our ruck-stocks have never been better.
    The truth is, Dunkley is an injury to Libba away from playing his favoured position for most of the time he's on the ground, and Libba will turn 29 next year and has knees made of crepe paper.

If history is a guide, this wasn't Libba reverting to mean - this was an outlier of the post two-ACL Libba. I'm not confident Dunkley doesn't ask for a trade at the end of 2021 but I think he'll spend more minutes in the middle this year (and beyond if he stays).

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for others but I don't think that at all.
    "It's over. It's all over."