3 18.75%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Zaine Cordy 12

The list rating still goes on as we continue to evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Zaine Cordy 12

A few stats:
    Height: 193cm
    Weight: 90Kg
    Games: 85

Cordy joined the Club his father Brian played 124 games for, with the Western Bulldogs’ fourth round selection (pick No. 62 overall) at the 2014 NAB AFL Draft. A versatile and athletic tall defender, Cordy was rated a top-30 prospect leading into the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, but slipped through to the fourth round during the father-son bidding process in what has proven to be a bargain for the Bulldogs. Cordy possesses all the right qualities in a defender, he is super competitive, and has the versatility to play on a range of opponents. Despite his pedigree as a defender, it was as a forward that Cordy earned his nine senior games in 2016 - including the Bulldogs' stunning finals run. Cordy was a member of the Western Bulldogs 2016 AFL Premiership Team. Since the premiership season, Cordy has returned to defence where he has become a mainstay of the Bulldogs' back six. The defender notched his 50th career game as 22-year-old in Round 2, 2019.

LINK

Post Thanks / Like

Much maligned, but I think he is still best 22 or thereabouts. Often asked to compete against players much bigger than him and has a bit of mongrel and feistiness that we often generally lack.

I often wonder why, when things really aren't working (the oppositions forward line is getting on top and Naughton et al can't get near it), why we don't consider spinning the magnets within games by throwing the bigger Naughton back for a period and move Zaine forward (circa 2016).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with TAC, Cordy gets a a bit more criticism than deserved and I really like the way he competes.
    As TAC has also mentioned, he's versatile enough to be thrown forward and he's done OK in the ruck at times
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

When he has a bad game, he has a shocker. He can be a dumb footballer at times. Frustrating to watch. But then you look at this profile and forget how young he is and also how much smaller he is than the opponents he comes up against. 193cm is tiny for a CHB these days. In that case, can he actually play on the monsters? If not, then what exactly is his role? He's not an interceptor either so I think this is his issue.

He certainly has flexibility to play forward/back/ruck and has that mongrel about him that we sorely lack. His tackle on Kennedy against the eagles was one of the plays of our season. Time is on his side but he needs to establish a clear role for himself. At present I don't know what that is.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    When he has a bad game, he has a shocker. He can be a dumb footballer at times. Frustrating to watch. But then you look at this profile and forget how young he is and also how much smaller he is than the opponents he comes up against. 193cm is tiny for a CHB these days. In that case, can he actually play on the monsters? If not, then what exactly is his role? He's not an interceptor either so I think this is his issue.

He certainly has flexibility to play forward/back/ruck and has that mongrel about him that we sorely lack. His tackle on Kennedy against the eagles was one of the plays of our season. Time is on his side but he needs to establish a clear role for himself. At present I don't know what that is.
    I agree in your overall assessment of Cordy, however, I think his ideal role is third tall. As you say he is not tall enough to play the CHB/FB role but I think he competes hard against some of the taller players, so is suited to play teams that have the three talls in their forward line. He has also played on smaller players, when teams don't have the third tall.

We have sometimes tended to go with Wood, or Crozier as a tall third, but it doesn't always work, as they need to use their leap, and lots can go wrong..

I think Cordy is still best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree in your overall assessment of Cordy, however, I think his ideal role is third tall. As you say he is not tall enough to play the CHB/FB role but I think he competes hard against some of the taller players, so is suited to play teams that have the three talls in their forward line. He has also played on smaller players, when teams don't have the third tall.

We have sometimes tended to go with Wood, or Crozier as a tall third, but it doesn't always work, as they need to use their leap, and lots can go wrong..

I think Cordy is still best 22.
    I think he can be best 22 as well. But it may be that against certain teams he misses out. In the final against the saints we functioned a lot better down back after he went down which is interesting because they essentially have 3 talls and I agree that he is suited to the 3rd tall. I don't think we have the mix exactly nailed down in defence when playing three talls. It's something that might come with time playing together.
    The other issue with Zaine is he is quite slow once the ball hits the deck so playing on a smaller opponent usually doesn't work out too well.

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon he enjoyed himself in the hub if this end of season shot of his physique is anything to go by:

Looks nothing like a professional athlete and no surprises he struggled in 2020.

Barely AFL quality for mine: can’t intercept mark, iffy kicking, beaten one on one too often and regularly makes terrible decisions.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Not wanting to derail my own thread but could he be one of the players in the Dunks not professional excuse.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a terrible look.

I was going to ask if he's maybe a bit like Hargrave who was played on the talls early and struggled before becoming a solid defender of the smalls but... not if that's how he's turning up...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Not wanting to derail my own thread but could he be one of the players in the Dunks not professional excuse.
    On the other hand Buku has a great physique.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's Buku? Looks in ripping shape. Hope he makes it even more seeing he's clearly putting in the work

Post Thanks / Like

Buku actually makes Zaine look really bad.. Maybe we see a Buku breakout next year?

Zaine in the first half of 2020 played some excellent games, seemed to drop of a bit towards the end of the season.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's a terrible look.

I was going to ask if he's maybe a bit like Hargrave who was played on the talls early and struggled before becoming a solid defender of the smalls but... not if that's how he's turning up...
    I sent the photo to my brother who battles in the 2s in the Geelong Football League, and he reckons most amateurs getting round that league are in better nick than Zaine.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's a terrible look.

Hargrave is who he reminds me of and like Shaggy he has a lot of misses before nailing his role. Zaine will get better. Before his pec injury he was probably our best defender. Can't play him and Gardner IMO