Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

Gun midfielder Josh Dunkley says it’s pleasing to “know that you are wanted” by the Bulldogs, vowing to win back any respect lost from teammates after a chaotic trade period.

Dunkley will officially return to Western Bulldogs pre-season training in January after his club couldn’t strike a deal with Essendon during the recent AFL exchange period, despite his trade request at the start of the month.
    The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years. However the Bombers believed Dunkley was only worthy of one top-10 pick, leading to a trade impasse and an eventual no-deal.

Speaking to reporters in Yarram, Dunkley said he was always aware the two clubs might’ve struggled to agree on a suitable trade.
    “In the back of my mind, I knew it was a possibility after coming out and going to Essendon,” Dunkley said. “But with all respect, the Bulldogs really held onto me and made it a challenge for Essendon to get me.
    “It’s nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now.
    “I’m really excited to get back there and get to work.”
    It meant the Dogs kept Dunkley and acquired Adam Treloar — who Dunkley has already met — from Collingwood, while the Bombers retained a whopping three first-round selections: Picks 6, 7 and 8.

Despite the disappointment of not getting his trade wish granted, Dunkley has been determined to show professionalism in the aftermath, declaring he’ll “definitely put it all to one side”.
    Dunkley revealed he’d already sat down with coach Luke Beveridge and put forward his case to be part of the Dogs’ star-studded midfield – a major reason why he initiated the trade request.

“I caught up with ‘Bevo’ the other night in Melbourne. Let the dust settle a little bit and then caught up with him. I actually drove out to his place and we had a good chat. I’d spoken to him a lot through the process as well,” Dunkley said.
    “The boys have made me feel really comfortable. It’s nice to be able to go back now and really put my head down and earn that respect, if I have lost any.
    “You’ve got to really put your head down and work hard – and that’s what I’m going to do. From last week when it didn’t go through, I was back at it the next day training.
    “I’m looking forward to what we can do in 2021.”
    Dunkley has kicked 42 goals from 78 games for the Bulldogs since they drafted him with Pick 25 in the 2015 national draft.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

Thought we needed a new article to replace the Cooney one

4. Thanks GVGjr, N/A, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

I look forward to a year of perfunctory application from Dunks as rote as his agent-devised statements and after that he can piss off somewhere shit to labour under the burden of copping the main tag every week so we can see how much he truly relishes those first-choice midfield minutes.

In the meantime, get in line, champ.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I look forward to a year of perfunctory application from Dunks as rote as his agent-devised statements and after that he can piss off somewhere shit to labour under the burden of copping the main tag every week so we can see how much he truly relishes those first-choice midfield minutes.

In the meantime, get in line, champ.
    I think someone should make a banner that is celebratory and encouraging in a blatantly backhanded way (perhaps incorporating your legendary photoshop abilities). You know, something that says we will support you and still love you, but we are still bitter that you pissed all over the coffee table.

Something like:

"Don't let his shit blog writing abilities fool you, this Dunkley kid can play"

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunks: "I want to date other people"
    Dogs: "No. I refuse, you're mine"
    Dunks: "Okey dokey. It's nice to know I'm wanted"
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes soupman, jeemak, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing wise I'm glad he's stayed as it makes us stronger for the now.

I'm gonna need some time to warm back up to him, and I think it's likely he wants to go again at year's end.

Surely can't stay in the leadership group.
    W00F!

12. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone right off him since this whole incident.

I don't necessarily blame him for wanting the move, I agree it's dumb that we kept not playing him in the midfield when he was very good there and the money Essendon offered was probably very good, but I honestly think he couldn't have picked a worse club to nominate and that either way he was going to go to Essendon with his brother like a new kid being dropped off by his mum at training or come back sheepishly to the Bulldogs giving interviews where he says stuff like "it's nice to feel wanted NOW".

If he does a Josh Bruce style tug of the jumper after wobbling through a goal early next year I'm gonna vomit though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

14. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Gun midfielder Josh Dunkley says it’s pleasing to “know that you are wanted” by the Bulldogs, vowing to win back any respect lost from teammates after a chaotic trade period.

Dunkley will officially return to Western Bulldogs pre-season training in January after his club couldn’t strike a deal with Essendon during the recent AFL exchange period, despite his trade request at the start of the month.
    The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years. However the Bombers believed Dunkley was only worthy of one top-10 pick, leading to a trade impasse and an eventual no-deal.

Speaking to reporters in Yarram, Dunkley said he was always aware the two clubs might’ve struggled to agree on a suitable trade.
    “In the back of my mind, I knew it was a possibility after coming out and going to Essendon,” Dunkley said. “But with all respect, the Bulldogs really held onto me and made it a challenge for Essendon to get me.
    “It’s nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now.
    “I’m really excited to get back there and get to work.”
    It meant the Dogs kept Dunkley and acquired Adam Treloar — who Dunkley has already met — from Collingwood, while the Bombers retained a whopping three first-round selections: Picks 6, 7 and 8.

Despite the disappointment of not getting his trade wish granted, Dunkley has been determined to show professionalism in the aftermath, declaring he’ll “definitely put it all to one side”.
    Dunkley revealed he’d already sat down with coach Luke Beveridge and put forward his case to be part of the Dogs’ star-studded midfield – a major reason why he initiated the trade request.

“I caught up with ‘Bevo’ the other night in Melbourne. Let the dust settle a little bit and then caught up with him. I actually drove out to his place and we had a good chat. I’d spoken to him a lot through the process as well,” Dunkley said.
    “The boys have made me feel really comfortable. It’s nice to be able to go back now and really put my head down and earn that respect, if I have lost any.
    “You’ve got to really put your head down and work hard – and that’s what I’m going to do. From last week when it didn’t go through, I was back at it the next day training.
    “I’m looking forward to what we can do in 2021.”
    Dunkley has kicked 42 goals from 78 games for the Bulldogs since they drafted him with Pick 25 in the 2015 national draft.

Now when he says this, is he talking about the dogs or the bummers?

Post Thanks / Like

I now wonder whether we should have taken the first rounder and the future second.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I now wonder whether we should have taken the first rounder and the future second.
    Why are you wondering this now?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why are you wondering this now?
    Just a few things in that article puts me off. eg: Nice to know you are wanted NOW. What makes him think like that?, or, I will see what happens next summer - does he want out that badly?

If players really want out, not just the money, but other reasons that they think can't be resolved, then go.

I was under the impression he had a big offer that he couldn't refuse, but seems more than that now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with all previous comments. For all I care Pickering and Dunkley's old man can stand in the rain and watch him play in the VFL next year. Our midfield without him is variously Libba, Macrae, Bont, B Smith, Treloar and maybe McLean and Jong. Dogs should start hawking him around throughout 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

A disappointing article. Looks like self pity is more prominent than recommitment. I expected more. Actually maybe I didn’t given we’ve been hearing about Dunkley (right now he’s not “Dunks” any more) being “flat” and “shattered” which was tone deaf to say the least.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

22. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So will we see a change to the leadership group? This guy simply can't retain his position in our leadership group.
    - He wanted out.
    - He supposedly thought there were issues and rather than try address them he chose to try run away.
    - He doesn't want to play his role for the greater good of the team. Ok I understand he wouldn't want to continue playing ruck but as a leader you need to drive that change. If he tried and Bevo flat out refused then Bevo needs to be questioned but it still falls on Josh's shoulders, as a supposed leader, to drive the change. If he's tried and tried and still to no avail then I completely understand but I don't feel this is the case.
    - He didn't get his wish, he's now making that known to everyone and instead of committing to his club, he's promoting his self pity and desire to get better so he can see what happens next year.

This guy is not a leader. Get him out and put someone else in who wants to be here and won't run away from problems.

24. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No. Not at all. It was an insulating offer,. If we had taken it we would have had clubs coming after our other young players and he was contracted for 2 more years. We did fantastically well to hold our ground.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

26. Likes strebla, 1eyedog, WBFC4FFC, alwaysadog liked this post