Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  64
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    DUNKLEY TRADE REQUEST CAME AS A “HUGE SURPRISE” TO BULLDOGS

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s trade request came as a “huge surprise” to the entire club.

Dunkley, who has two years to run on his Bulldogs contract, had his heart set on a move to Essendon only for the deal to fall through on the final day of the trade period.

Beveridge has sat down with Dunkley since his failed trade to the Bombers in a bid to clear the air before the start of the 2021 pre-season.

“It was a surprise and when Dunks and I caught up last week, I talked to him about the two sides of it,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast.

“Josh and I are very close, I’ve spent a lot of time with him talking about life as much as footy. I feel like I’ve spent more time than most of our players talking to him about key aspects of his game.

“There’s a personal connection between him and I. I had to contain my emotions and try to put it in some sort of perspective.

“We’ve invested a lot in Josh over the last five years, he’s blossomed as a player, he’s definitely applied himself, he’s a professional but our program has really helped him get to where he’s got to.

“For all the different reasons and the weight of the reasons as to why he might consider the move to another club, my discussion with him was that it doesn’t matter, all that matters to me and to our club is that he’s with us.

“If there’s any tension there, then we need to discuss it, but he reassured me that things are fine. It was a huge surprise for all of us.

“We look forward to him being a key contributor next year.”

Dunkley, 23, has played 78 games for the Bulldogs and was part of the club’s drought-breaking 2016 premiership.
    Fair to glean from that the coach is at best disappointed and more likely something closer to 'filthy'.

One wonders if it tempts him to reconsider the way we deploy Dunkley ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Fair to glean from that the coach is at best disappointed and more likely something closer to 'filthy'.

Footscray backup ruckman?

3. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully for Dunks, Bevo isn't one to hold a grudge...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Thanks 1eyedog, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Thankfully for Dunks, Bevo isn't one to hold a grudge...
    Bevo? Nahhhh.

If there's a coach inclined to take an attempted defection personally, it's ours. Dunks might be praying he hasn't poked the bear.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

From some of the comments about Josh benefitting from being in our environment I reckon some of the conversation with Bevo would have been along the lines of "get back to earth and fall into line, as we owe you nothing and you have a contract to play with us - how and where we want you to play".
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    More signs of $$$$$ and Pickering greed.
    Not sure why so much hate towards Pickering. He’s doing his job.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes dadsgirl16, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    From some of the comments about Josh benefitting from being in our environment I reckon some of the conversation with Bevo would have been along the lines of "get back to earth and fall into line, as we owe you nothing and you have a contract to play with us - how and where we want you to play".
    You should listen to the interview- i think you are spot on.

Interestingly I think Bevo classes Treloar as an inside mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Well it won’t be in the ruck so if that was one problem it’s solved.
    Imagine the media if Dunkley goes up for a tap out.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure why so much hate towards Pickering. He’s doing his job.
    I disagree. There's more to his job than just looking for dollars-if that were it then Josh could do that himself. Pickering's told also includes advising his clients. Now Pickering moves onto his next client whereas Dunks has to re-establish relationships and has probably lost his spot in the leadership group and is no longer the heir apparent as club captain.

Basically he's left Josh looking like a bit of a mug by by trying to undermine Sam Power and the club.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I Don't see the big deal! I've changed jobs just about every 2-3 years for 20 years!
    Ah but have you tried to skip out on a 3 year contract with 2 years to run on it without telling your employer until you were clearing your desk?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

14. Likes 1eyedog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Digressing slightly, Bevo's remarks in that interview about Libba and to a greater extent Hunter were interesting.

We know Libba's doing god's work on uncooperative knees but having him referred to as a "time bomb" we're unsure when'll "go off" is going to leave a fairly gaping hole at some point. Come on Rhylee, develop faster plz.

Though his comments on Lachie and his broader wellbeing are even more concerning. We're clearly working with him but it sounds like his struggles are akin to a persistent injury we're going to have to help him manage, which is entirely consistent with such things, but not sure I've heard us make it so plain.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Though his comments on Lachie and his broader wellbeing are even more concerning. We're clearly working with him but it sounds like his struggles are akin to a persistent injury we're going to have to help him manage, which is entirely consistent with such things, but not sure I've heard us make it so plain.
    Isn't this to do with his personal issues and his Fiance's quest for a child?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Isn't this to do with his personal issues and his Fiance's quest for a child?
    Unsure about the fiancé element, but yes, and the coach sounds openly concerned though obviously committed to all the support Hunter needs, though going by his tone and relative candidness it's just a perilous situation for such a critical figure and nigh-on irreplaceable player for us.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Unsure about the fiancé element, but yes, and the coach sounds openly concerned though obviously committed to all the support Hunter needs, though going by his tone and relative candidness it's just a perilous situation for such a critical figure and nigh-on irreplaceable player for us.
    Bevo also eluded too we probably need to give Hunter more support off field than we did during 2020.

19. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post