Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

Anyone else sick of hearing about Essendon’s phenomenal draft hand? They only got it because of some AFL Moment Creation™️ and had to lose one very good player (and another allegedly very good player) to get there.

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Anyone else sick of hearing about Essendon’s phenomenal draft hand? They only got it because of some AFL Moment Creation™️ and had to lose one very good player (and another allegedly very good player) to get there.
    Let's just be happy that they're getting their best draft hand in the biggest unknown draft of all time. Recruiters haven't seen these kids play U18 football. They'll be going off U17 performances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I concur with all previous comments. For all I care Pickering and Dunkley's old man can stand in the rain and watch him play in the VFL next year. Our midfield without him is variously Libba, Macrae, Bont, B Smith, Treloar and maybe McLean and Jong. Dogs should start hawking him around throughout 2021.
    I don’t think this is a good idea. If we start hawking him around I think his price goes down. The Stringer example is extreme, but we were never going to get anywhere near the fee that we would have got if he was a required player.

I think we play a straight bat and let teams come to us. Play it exactly how we did this year and hope in the meantime is that he tears it up this year, particularly against the Bombers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I now wonder whether we should have taken the first rounder and the future second.
    It's going to be an often discussed point I suspect. While we wanted 2 first rounders given he was contracted etc a 1st and 2nd round pick is still a significant offer and there has to be some doubt that it would be repeated.
    I was discussing things with a colleague who mentioned that with the deal for Treloar as good as done he thinks we could have got a 2020 first round pick and a 2021 2nd and 3rd round picks from Essendon for Dunkley. We could have then shuffled off pick 8 for another 2nd round this year and a 2021 first rounder with another club.
    As it is we go into next season without 2nd or 3rd round picks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Even if he wants to leave at the end of next season, he is clearly going to leave no stone unturned in the quest to become an even better player in 2021. If Sam Power rates him currently as worth 2 x 1st rounders after an injury-riddled and so-so season, he will be worth at least that much and possibly more after an elite season while still contracted for a further 12 months.

Essendon have no choice but to pony up big if they REALLY want him in 12 months. I suspect they won't even bother trying because they know Sam Power will be utterly unmoved by anything less than the ultimate offer which, Essendon being Essendon, they will tyre-kick like they did this year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Even if he wants to leave at the end of next season, he is clearly going to leave no stone unturned in the quest to become an even better player in 2021. If Sam Power rates him currently as worth 2 x 1st rounders after an injury-riddled and so-so season, he will be worth at least that much and possibly more after an elite season while still contracted for a further 12 months.

Essendon have no choice but to pony up big if they REALLY want him in 12 months. I suspect they won't even bother trying because they know Sam Power will be utterly unmoved by anything less than the ultimate offer which, Essendon being Essendon, they will tyre-kick like they did this year.
    Imagine if this was all repeated again next year....
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I now wonder whether we should have taken the first rounder and the future second.
    We don't know what value the first rounder (and it was their worst first rounder) held for us this year because that value was entirely dependent on trading that pick up to get ahead of a JUH bid. If we were unable to do that it's just wasted points.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought the club handled it so bloody well and seems like we have matured bit, it could be the circuit breaker this group needed.

I can't wait to see Bevo's round 1 team, I think it will say a lot about our hopes for 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No. Not at all. It was an insulating offer,. If we had taken it we would have had clubs coming after our other young players and he was contracted for 2 more years. We did fantastically well to hold our ground.
    Yeah I agree, I was just being a little disappointed in the article and what he has said.

We sent a message to all clubs, and our own contracted players and in the end did the right thing for the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d like to see our captain interviewed in a long form interview to ask how he felt with his vice captain and supposed best mate wanting to leave - maybe someone like Gerard Whiteley who would give no favours.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Clubs should have the right to trade players under contract. Maybe a cap of two per year. We could then be a club that doesn't force a player into a trade, and a club that doesn't have players tell the media they want out. That's fair. Now if our club has a playing group that wants to come out and nominate players, then we should be a club that trades where the best opportunity is. It happens all over the world and all sorts of sporting codes. If players want to tell the world they want out, then we should have the right not just to refuse it, but to facilitate it if say a North or Sydney wanted Dunkley & 14 for Pick 2 or 3.

There's a sense of entitlement when you force your club to give you a lucrative contract, then tell the world you don't want to be held to it, then only nominate one club and then be disappointed it. And the AFEL media push the line about us holding the line like some barbarians at the trade table. The right of a club to have up to two forced trades a year wouldve allowed the club to ask 17 clubs for their best offer. I have a suspicion one of the other 16 clubs would've offered more than what Dodoro did. Dunkley would've left with more money in his pay slip and a longer contract albeit playing somewhere else (still a winner), we would've been compensated properly (now a stronger hand winner), with the loser being Dodoro to even bigger proportions (loser twice as bad). If Dodoro knew had to compete with up to 17 clubs for him, do you think his offer would've been higher?

Or even a trigger that when a player under contract 'walks out', they obtain a status (CMTA: Club Managed Trade Agent) that allows the club with the contract to enter into final trades without player consent if the years and dollars are better off overall. I wonder two things, could clubs get better compo, and will the number of players 'walking out' under contract reduce?

But the players association will never allow it, so it's a moot point.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Clubs should have the right to trade players under contract. Maybe a cap of two per year. We could then be a club that doesn't force a player into a trade, and a club that doesn't have players tell the media they want out. That's fair. Now if our club has a playing group that wants to come out and nominate players, then we should be a club that trades where the best opportunity is. It happens all over the world and all sorts of sporting codes. If players want to tell the world they want out, then we should have the right not just to refuse it, but to facilitate it if say a North or Sydney wanted Dunkley & 14 for Pick 2 or 3.

There's a sense of entitlement when you force your club to give you a lucrative contract, then tell the world you don't want to be held to it, then only nominate one club and then be disappointed it. And the AFEL media push the line about us holding the line like some barbarians at the trade table. The right of a club to have up to two forced trades a year wouldve allowed the club to ask 17 clubs for their best offer. I have a suspicion one of the other 16 clubs would've offered more than what Dodoro did. Dunkley would've left with more money in his pay slip and a longer contract albeit playing somewhere else (still a winner), we would've been compensated properly (now a stronger hand winner), with the loser being Dodoro to even bigger proportions (loser twice as bad). If Dodoro knew had to compete with up to 17 clubs for him, do you think his offer would've been higher?

Or even a trigger that when a player under contract 'walks out', they obtain a status (CMTA: Club Managed Trade Agent) that allows the club with the contract to enter into final trades without player consent if the years and dollars are better off overall. I wonder two things, could clubs get better compo, and will the number of players 'walking out' under contract reduce?

But the players association will never allow it, so it's a moot point.
    Has the old rule about clubs approaching other clubs contracted players without permission been dropped? It used to be a huge no-no and I've never seen any stories about it being dropped.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Has the old rule about clubs approaching other clubs contracted players without permission been dropped? It used to be a huge no-no and I've never seen any stories about it being dropped.
    Or was that an unwritten rule?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

We did spend a lot of time talking with Tom Boyd mid season before Griff’s departure helped us no end.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's going to be an often discussed point I suspect. While we wanted 2 first rounders given he was contracted etc a 1st and 2nd round pick is still a significant offer and there has to be some doubt that it would be repeated.
    I was discussing things with a colleague who mentioned that with the deal for Treloar as good as done he thinks we could have got a 2020 first round pick and a 2021 2nd and 3rd round picks from Essendon for Dunkley. We could have then shuffled off pick 8 for another 2nd round this year and a 2021 first rounder with another club.
    As it is we go into next season without 2nd or 3rd round picks.
    Thing is that other teams will know that Dunks is gettable. So whilst this year we just had Essendon bidding, I would expect North, the Hawks, maybe even the Cats to take a look. I can see teams looking at Dunks and saying that maybe a 1st round and a 2nd in 2021 gets it done, given he is one year less contracted.