Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our 2021 bolter

Post Thanks / Like

Our 2021 bolter

Guys and Gals, you know the drill.

Every year there's a "bolter" - someone who is either untried or fringe who exceeds expectations and become a regular in the best 22. 2020 was hard to judge, but a few of us on here loved VDM's 2019 VFL form and I'd argue he was the 2020 bolter. He's in my Round 1 2021 team.

So who is the 2021 bolter? Given we have picked up three senior players at the trade table who will all slot straight into the team when fit, will they preclude a real bolter this year? Will it be someone who was underwhelming in 2020 getting back to their best?

He's had his knockers, but arguably Josh Bruce fits the bill. Maligned for not living up to his contract last year, I expect a slimmer and more focused Bruce in 2021. I'm also expecting Mitch Hannan to prove a clever pick up in at the trade table.

Less of a prediction and more of a hope, Lewis Young back as a KPD. Easy to forget he's only 21, and age where many players (including much-loved Bulldogs) we're even on an AFL rookie list. Just one game in 2020, it won't be too difficult to top that in 2021.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our 2021 bolter

Riley Garcia. This might be wishful thinking, but reading between the lines on basically every press release since this guy recovered from his knee we seem very positive on him.

From what I understand he is a pacy mid/half forward, he might struggle initially behind guys like Treloar and Smith but by my count we have at least one or two spots in the side that could be raffled between all the fringe guys and this guy seems to have some points of difference to the rest and we seem to like his potential (plus love playing young blokes).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

My bolter will be Rhylee West. He has already shown a bit but hasn't been able to be consistent and crack a regular game. He may very well end up being played mainly HFF and some mid time, but with his energy and attack on the ball he could become a regular goal kicker, and defensive forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

West for me too.

I've liked his ability to win contests as a forward and if he builds his tank, he'll still get mid minutes - despite our riches in that area. Few years under his belt and I think he'll be ready to become a regular.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the club forgot to bring the video camera to QLD so we didn’t get any footage, but I like the vibes around Garcia. Really hope he’s training with the forwards group over pre-season.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited about what I have heard on Garcia, so he is the one I see as the most likely.

We will do very well if it turns out to be Lewis Young, who is the player we really need to make an impact. If he could own CHB we will be a significantly improved team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young

We didn't bring in any KP defenders during the trade period and were prepared to let Trengove go. To me this means we must be happy with what we have. His direct opponents for a position in the senior team is Gardiner & perhaps Cordy.

Has shown plenty of potential. Think he plays a fair bit next season.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the Bruce bandwagon. I think this season was so extraordinary it's difficult to accept as the norm....I think with the right build up and environment he is going to be a major player for us here on out. He has proven himself over the preceding years at a high level so I expect he will get back to that.

Of the youngsters I think Richards still has so much improvement in him, if he can have a big pre season and gain some early confidence with another year of learning under his belt he can really be a bolter. He's got all the attributes.

12. Likes Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna look like an idiot but I'm kind of feeling a mini Roarke Smith renaissance.

14. Likes Doggy, EasternWest, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are looking for the 2021 version of Bailey Williams, so maybe Young might take a big step forward but I hope it's Josh Schache
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Does Vamdemeer fit the bill ? If so I back him.
    Bring back the biff

17. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Does Vamdemeer fit the bill ? If so I back him.
    Isn't he a 2020 bolter or do you think he will take another step or two forward again in 2021?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'm gonna look like an idiot but I'm kind of feeling a mini Roarke Smith renaissance.
    Bold suggestion but he can play a role for us if he can improve a bit in 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Schache. He's coming to play.
    “You don’t develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.” ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

JUH to have a first season blinder that will have us fighting off other clubs trying to do a T.Boyd on us.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...