Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8,902
    Post Thanks / Like

    Where we got delistings wrong.

    Thank you for your service. It's that time of year, out they go!
    I feel a bit bad for Jackson Trengrove. Didn't really use him much.

    In your mind, which dogs players have been delisted a bit early?
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    45,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    For me none.

    All the players delisted are about right, with maybe Cavarra a bit unlucky. We should have gone deeper and delisted Roarke as well (he comes back in as a rookie)

    I would have liked to have seen an all new Rookie list, with perhaps Sweet kept and Buku remaining on Cat B. I can't see Gardner making it either, but good luck to him if he improves.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    28,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Thank you for your service. It's that time of year, out they go!
    I feel a bit bad for Jackson Trengrove. Didn't really use him much.

    In your mind, which dogs players have been delisted a bit early?
    Jackson Trengove for sure, he had plenty to offer us this year
    While not a delisting, Lachie Young was a terrific prospect
    Will Hayes is a better player now that when we drafted him. Hard to imagine how much better we expected him to get
    Matthew Suckling has another season in him as well.
    "There are Sharks and Minnows in this World and if you don't know which one you are then you aint a Shark"

  5. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Jarrad Grant and Paddy Veszpremi. They could both still make it I reckon.
    - RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

  7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    5,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For me none.

    All the players delisted are about right, with maybe Cavarra a bit unlucky. We should have gone deeper and delisted Roarke as well (he comes back in as a rookie)

    I would have liked to have seen an all new Rookie list, with perhaps Sweet kept and Buku remaining on Cat B. I can't see Gardner making it either, but good luck to him if he improves.
    Given Gardner's improvement and our lack of KPDs he was a no brainer to be retained.

    Cavarra could still return.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    About right for mine.
    Ret.

  10. Likes bornadog liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    We have never been ruthless enough with our delistings, but to their credit this year we have gotten pretty close.

    Prior to the most recent trio being cut I was quite unsatisfied, but now i think we are in a pretty good spot.

    I will be very disappointed if we re-draft Hayes/Cavarra, Id much rather we take the punt and give someone else a chance. Our history shows that when we draft someone they show good signs within their first two seasons, and we often shoehorn them into the side a touch early.

    For this reason I suspect Khamis may not be a great prospect either, so would've been open to cutting him to, but this year is an anomaly so maybe only counts as half a season.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  12. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    I'd rather rookie Ferg than Hayes personally

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    We have never been ruthless enough with our delistings, but to their credit this year we have gotten pretty close.

    Prior to the most recent trio being cut I was quite unsatisfied, but now i think we are in a pretty good spot.

    I will be very disappointed if we re-draft Hayes/Cavarra, Id much rather we take the punt and give someone else a chance. Our history shows that when we draft someone they show good signs within their first two seasons, and we often shoehorn them into the side a touch early.

    For this reason I suspect Khamis may not be a great prospect either, so would've been open to cutting him to, but this year is an anomaly so maybe only counts as half a season.
    I won't argue here. My guess is that maybe we can just give Hayes & Cavarra a one year rookie contract. Thereby not taking a bet this year with late rookie draft picks with more risk about the kids. Next year these guys know the club and system as depth. If they don't make it next year, then in theory the draft pool is more reliable deeper into the rookie draft next year.

    Or, I'm over thinking it.
    Ret.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I won't argue here. My guess is that maybe we can just give Hayes & Cavarra a one year rookie contract. Thereby not taking a bet this year with late rookie draft picks with more risk about the kids. Next year these guys know the club and system as depth. If they don't make it next year, then in theory the draft pool is more reliable deeper into the rookie draft next year.

    Or, I'm over thinking it.
    On the other hand if there's going to be a year where some serious talent might slip through to the rookie draft this could well be it

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    28,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    We have never been ruthless enough with our delistings, but to their credit this year we have gotten pretty close.

    Prior to the most recent trio being cut I was quite unsatisfied, but now i think we are in a pretty good spot.

    I will be very disappointed if we re-draft Hayes/Cavarra, Id much rather we take the punt and give someone else a chance. Our history shows that when we draft someone they show good signs within their first two seasons, and we often shoehorn them into the side a touch early.

    For this reason I suspect Khamis may not be a great prospect either, so would've been open to cutting him to, but this year is an anomaly so maybe only counts as half a season.
    We need to be more ruthless most years
    "There are Sharks and Minnows in this World and if you don't know which one you are then you aint a Shark"

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We need to be more ruthless most years
    I mean really we could also cut all of Schache, Roarke, Sweet, Khamis and Lloyd and we would be losing maybe 10-15 games from next year and they would mostly be Smith picked as the 22nd man and Lloyd and Schache getting a couple of unimpressive games forward each, with none of them projecting to be probable best 15 players ever.

    I'm not saying we do this but if we turned our list over a lot more we wouldn't have all these mediocre depth guys that have been given 4+ years on a couple of glimpses.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  18. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8,902
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I mean really we could also cut all of Schache, Roarke, Sweet, Khamis and Lloyd and we would be losing maybe 10-15 games from next year and they would mostly be Smith picked as the 22nd man and Lloyd and Schache getting a couple of unimpressive games forward each, with none of them projecting to be probable best 15 players ever.

    I'm not saying we do this but if we turned our list over a lot more we wouldn't have all these mediocre depth guys that have been given 4+ years on a couple of glimpses.
    But just to check, because I missed a lot of footy, Josh has performed better than Bruce this year on average. Is this correct?

    For the archives I always felt Roughy was delisted a touch premature. But am biased seeing he's a Ballarat boy and favourite of mine.
    "We've got to be good in the phone box, and good in the tardis" - Pearls of wisdom from Luke Beveridge.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    45,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    But just to check, because I missed a lot of footy, Josh has performed better than Bruce this year on average. Is this correct?

    For the archives I always felt Roughy was delisted a touch premature. But am biased seeing he's a Ballarat boy and favourite of mine.
    Josh played two games and was injured for about 6 or 7 and never regained any form.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    5,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    But just to check, because I missed a lot of footy, Josh has performed better than Bruce this year on average. Is this correct?

    For the archives I always felt Roughy was delisted a touch premature. But am biased seeing he's a Ballarat boy and favourite of mine.
    Roughead wasn't delisted - he wanted to leave as a free agent so we facilitated a trade for next to nothing to Collingwood.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •