Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where we got delistings wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    But just to check, because I missed a lot of footy, Josh has performed better than Bruce this year on average. Is this correct?
    Not sure you have the sample size with Schache for averages to be reliable measure of anything.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Matthew Suckling has another season in him as well.
    Please refrain from saying things like this until all available spots are filled.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the commentary around us not being ruthless enough is a bit overplayed, in that I understand it but I don't think it's an issue to the extent others do.

If we were as ruthless every year as some want, and it's an opinion based game I get it, we'd actually never see if players develop and we'd massacre our depth. Some of the players we retain aren't going to be world beaters, and may not be long term considerations for us however, we're in the business of winning games and there's a balance between perpetually developing and being able to field a team that can compete. And for the most part over the last five or six years, during a rebuild over the most recent three, I think we've struck that balance pretty well.

There's always going to be your Declan Hamilton head scratchers, there's always going to be your lineball Honeychurch's. But cutting deep and trying to be good at the same time isn't easy and there's a bit to be said for keeping players, sometimes who are higher quality people than they may be talented footballers, in a program if the program is solid and they can contribute on the field if needed and more holistically.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes EasternWest, Smads57, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've always been conservative on delistings so it's hard to recall a misstep
    One trade though that doesn't get a mention often is Shaun Higgins as part of the exodus in 2014, where Griffen and Cooney took the focus, both of which hobbled through the rest of their careers, whilst Higgins went on to be a brownlow chance
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think the commentary around us not being ruthless enough is a bit overplayed, in that I understand it but I don't think it's an issue to the extent others do.

If we were as ruthless every year as some want, and it's an opinion based game I get it, we'd actually never see if players develop and we'd massacre our depth. Some of the players we retain aren't going to be world beaters, and may not be long term considerations for us however, we're in the business of winning games and there's a balance between perpetually developing and being able to field a team that can compete. And for the most part over the last five or six years, during a rebuild over the most recent three, I think we've struck that balance pretty well.

There's always going to be your Declan Hamilton head scratchers, there's always going to be your lineball Honeychurch's. But cutting deep and trying to be good at the same time isn't easy and there's a bit to be said for keeping players, sometimes who are higher quality people than they may be talented footballers, in a program if the program is solid and they can contribute on the field if needed and more holistically.
    Well said. There can be value in having quality people on the training track and around the club even if they aren’t playing in the AFL team. Hayes, Cavarra and Trengove all fitted into this category. Would love them to all be at Footscray next year if they don’t get an AFL opportunity.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Well said. There can be value in having quality people on the training track and around the club even if they aren’t playing in the AFL team. Hayes, Cavarra and Trengove all fitted into this category. Would love them to all be at Footscray next year if they don’t get an AFL opportunity.
    A couple is fine. Every good club has them.

The problem is we routinely have 10 players on our list who aren't good enough to play regular AFL footy. This year it was Hayes, Cavarra, Trengove, Lloyd, Khamis, Gowers, Porter, Greene, Lynch, Smith, Lach Young - that's way too many.

From that list above you could make a case for Hayes, JT and Lloyd but that's about it.
    W00F!

9. Likes soupman, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    A couple is fine. Every good club has them.

The problem is we routinely have 10 players on our list who aren't good enough to play regular AFL footy. This year it was Hayes, Cavarra, Trengove, Lloyd, Khamis, Gowers, Porter, Greene, Lynch, Smith, Lach Young - that's way too many.

From that list above you could make a case for Hayes, JT and Lloyd but that's about it.
    You would also say Lach Young and Gowers had shown they were capable of contributing at the level. Greene had prior to injury last year, while Cavarra was only in his second year after being drafted and his first of being injury free. Smith is unfashionable, though most agree he's earned his spot for another year.

I don't know what the expectation is, though routinely I'd have thought that roughly up to ten players who are not ready to contribute consistently at the level is pretty normal for AFL lists.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the expectation is, though routinely I'd have thought that roughly up to ten players who are not ready to contribute consistently at the level is pretty normal for AFL lists.
    And for Essendon, they've gone the opposite route over the last 15 years and only kept 10 players who are ready to contribute.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would also say Lach Young and Gowers had shown they were capable of contributing at the level. Greene had prior to injury last year, while Cavarra was only in his second year after being drafted and his first of being injury free. Smith is unfashionable, though most agree he's earned his spot for another year.

I never really thought Young showed anything and I was surprised to see he had a few backing him TBH. He had good endurance, but he was slight, neither strong nor fast and his foot skills were pretty average.

Gowers had the 1 good season but most here knew what he was at the end of last year. Greene had been on the list for 3-4 years for 5 games.

Agree on Smith and forgot about him, but this is the first year since I can remember where we've cut as deep as we should into the list.

** Most sides may have that 8-12 players either not good enough or unknown, but taking out recent draftees I think we hold onto players who we know won't actually make it for far too long.
    W00F!

14. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I never really thought Young showed anything and I was surprised to see he had a few backing him TBH. He had good endurance, but he was slight, neither strong nor fast and his foot skills were pretty average.

Gowers had the 1 good season but most here knew what he was at the end of last year. Greene had been on the list for 3-4 years for 5 games.

Agree on Smith and forgot about him, but this is the first year since I can remember where we've cut as deep as we should into the list.

** Most sides may have that 8-12 players either not good enough or unknown, but taking out recent draftees I think we hold onto players who we know won't actually make it for far too long.
    I think we held onto Gowers for the right amount of time, same with Greene given he was coming good and then didn't progress after a serious injury. The former I appreciate that he was ordinary in 2019 and retrospectively it would have been the right thing to do to offload him however, not doing so even with the knowledge of what we know now still isn't unreasonable. I suppose offering up what we did in terms of tenure for Lynch is the one that sticks out in this lot.

Interesting but understandable comments on Young. I was pretty well 50-50 on him and I think offering him a short term contract was OK but at the same time I'm not fussed about him moving on. It's the right decision for him and given the club didn't offer him more tenure I think it's a win all round.

As for how far we've cut this year, I think we have a bit of confidence with respect to who is in our core group and who can help take us where we want to go. The numbers are a bit inflated with the likes of Suckling and Dickson retiring, though looking at who we've let go I can't really fault the actions of the club. Bringing in Martin really stamped Trengove's papers, I get why some think he can still be of value as a back up, but a bit like Roughead (and Minson before him) rightly or wrongly the MC just isn't going to play him.

16. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And for Essendon, they've gone the opposite route over the last 15 years and only kept 10 players who are ready to contribute.
    Haha love it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the way players we cut it seems to be Suckling is the one who is most likely to be picked up again by someone, which shows how good he is when you look at his age and injury concerns nowadays.
    I think he was a great pick up for us and would have liked another year , he would be extremely handy if he could have a year and no injuries .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Of all the way players we cut it seems to be Suckling is the one who is most likely to be picked up again by someone, which shows how good he is when you look at his age and injury concerns nowadays.
    I think he was a great pick up for us and would have liked another year , he would be extremely handy if he could have a year and no injuries .
    WesternEast likes this.

Post Thanks / Like

WesternEast likes this.
    I'm concerned about ledge's day drinking
    "It's over. It's all over."

21. Likes bornadog, jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And after this weekend's comms from the club re wages they're doing their best to marginalise them as well.