Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Under the Pump for 2021

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Bevo's comments on SEN during the week give me comfort that we know where we are at. He wasn't fooled by the last quarter comeback against the Saints, it was a poor effort in what was a disappointing season. We have a lot to work with though, I'm really confident that we can improve significantly next year.
    Kruder I am disappointed you didn't nominate Wood.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I wanted a lot more from him mid season (after the Richmond debacle), and to be fair to him he absolutely delivered on that for the rest of the year - I reckon he was best player in the comp from that moment on for the remainder of the season. I expect that and more from the start of next season, and I expect him to have that internal competitive drive to want to get even better and more destructive as a player for the remainder of his career. For different reasons, but Dusty was almost on the trade scrapheap at a similar age to Bont, and that particular movie has turned out quite well for both player and club.
    I would agree with that to be honest also worth noting Richmond was around half way. I enjoyed his leadership and selfless acts but his disposal was beyond ordinary even when he started impacting games at his previous level.

I may not have expressed myself very well but to clarify

1- he had a good season but it was a level below the standard he has set. We have few match winners and we need him making a difference.
    2- His disposal was concerning all season. He appeared to be trying to kick the eyes out of it every time and often around corners needlessly.
    3- Some games he has good numbers but we were collectively waltzed around in the centre square. Not solely on him but the Brisbane game stands out where we needed some presence and accountability.
    4- He seemed to lack the clean touch below his knees particularly in night games. I’m tipping being back at Marvel will help with this. He uses his long levers to control the ball into a path he can run onto BUT teams plan for this now and conditions also worked against him. Teams are not letting him get a clean run at the ball so he played more team roles...we still need his impact.

4. Likes jeemak, Sedat, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I would agree with that to be honest also worth noting Richmond was around half way. I enjoyed his leadership and selfless acts but his disposal was beyond ordinary even when he started impacting games at his previous level.

I may not have expressed myself very well but to clarify

1- he had a good season but it was a level below the standard he has set. We have few match winners and we need him making a difference.
    2- His disposal was concerning all season. He appeared to be trying to kick the eyes out of it every time and often around corners needlessly.
    3- Some games he has good numbers but we were collectively waltzed around in the centre square. Not solely on him but the Brisbane game stands out where we needed some presence and accountability.
    4- He seemed to lack the clean touch below his knees particularly in night games. I’m tipping being back at Marvel will help with this. He uses his long levers to control the ball into a path he can run onto BUT teams plan for this now and conditions also worked against him. Teams are not letting him get a clean run at the ball so he played more team roles...we still need his impact.
    That's pretty reasonable. He looked well off his food early, and as for the ground balls and the kicking around corners perhaps he was a little bit hampered by his hip (which I really hope isn't a degenerative issue - but fear it might be).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Bevo. Gotta win a final in 2021.
    Yep for sure. We have made it the past 2 seasons but haven't advanced further than week 1. hopefully make it again and go further. Finish top 4 also we massively help with that. Top 4 would be a first for Bevo.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I think the form of these players will be under scrutiny in 2021 : Bruce, LLoyd, B Dale, Cordy, Gardner, Wood, Schache and Richards
    Yep that is pretty much right westbulldog. All these players need to be better in 2021.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Tim English needs to stand up and not be rag dolled at ruck contests and around the ground. No doubt he is talented however I think we need to see significant improvement next year - especially with throw ins. If his improvement starts to flatten then I think club need to start thinking about him more as a 2nd ruck/forward who can also float into backline when needed.

Regarding Westbulldog’s list I agree with all those players. I’d add in Lewis Young. We’ve just got to give him more chances to play in backline and possibly as ruck relief in seniors. Really hope he makes it given the promising glimpses he showed a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of players who will be expecting improved years performance wise. As far as who is under the pump, well the players who are out of contract and have not yet established themselves as consistent best 22 performers (or may have slipped over the past 12 months) and have had at least 3 years on the list:

Cordy
    Jong
    Lipinski
    Richards
    Young

Being the standouts. Richards is just about safe for me - he’s consistently picked, has traits we need, and I’m pretty confident he’s going to be able to make the improvements to his game. We just need to find him the right role and define what his contribution needs to be week in week out. I actually suspect we will see him wing/forward long term and an 17-22 possession player who can kick a goal most weeks.

Cordy probably has enough versatility to go around again, but if any of Naughton going back (unlikely), Wood being a consistent player for 2 more years (possible), Gardner developing a little more offensive ability (plausible) or another under the pump player in Young commanding a key defensive post (who knows, hopefully) then Cordy may be in trouble.

Jong is best 22, his durability is not at this stage.

Lipinski is close, but needs to do better defensively and he’s got to have the best motor in our side to play as a high forward (some mid rotation) who covers ground and impacts the scoreboard. He may get there as an inside mid, but probably not with us in the shorter to medium term due to our depth there.

Haven’t included Lloyd or Doc - they’re winding down. Not under the pump per se.

10. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I alone I need thinking Cordy was really good last season? He played with the confidence of a much better player and it did his game wonders.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Am I alone I need thinking Cordy was really good last season? He played with the confidence of a much better player and it did his game wonders.
    I thought he was mostly pretty good too.
    "It's over. It's all over."