Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter Gordon Leaving

Was not expecting that.

Hope there is nothing untoward.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peter Gordon Leaving

At the beginning of the year he said he was going to step down. Then he changed his mind due to COVID, but now he feels the club is ok financially and it’s time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear members and friends,

I have decided to resign as President of the Western Bulldogs after serving for the last eight years, and for fifteen years now in total since October 1989. My resignation will take effect from the close of the Club’s 2020 AGM on 21 December.

I did say in May this year that I might consider delaying my departure for another year because of the COVID crisis. But I have decided to leave now and I thought I should explain why to you.

First and foremost, I have full confidence in our Vice-President Kylie Watson-Wheeler, our board, our CEO Ameet Bains and our senior management to take the Club forward.

Next, the Club has in 2020 completed a tough but responsible re-structure, complied with its TPP and soft cap reduction obligations and posted a substantial profit (its seventh consecutive annual profit and its fifth consecutive year of total profits over $1,000,000.)

We have in recent months worked hard to put the building blocks in place for continued profitability in 2021, providing our members continue to support the Club.

The Club has completed its exit from the gaming industry.

The Club has substantial cash reserves, far and away the greatest in its history.

Following the recent announcement of support from Daniel Andrews’ Government and State budget allocation, the Club is in a position to commence and to fund a $58 million redevelopment of the Victoria University Whitten Oval.

On account of the strong leadership of Gillon McLachlan and because of the sacrifice and the hard work of the whole industry, I believe the AFL is both eager and able to continue to financially support and grow all 18 Clubs.

In all, I believe that the Western Bulldogs Football Club is in a strong position, and it’s a good time for me to move on and for the Club to move on too.

I’d like to sincerely thank everyone who has supported me and offered me their friendship over the journey. It’s been an honour and a privilege to hold the position with many enjoyable moments for my family and me. I’ve had a few regrets, but then again, as Frank Sinatra once put it…too few to mention.

I wish the Club and all its members all the best for the future.

Peter Gordon

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks Grantysghost, Prince Imperial, Eastdog, westbulldog thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At the beginning of the year he said he was going to step down. Then he changed his mind due to COVID, but now he feels the club is ok financially and it’s time.
    OK. Thanks.

Obviously I missed that.

I had the impression he was the type that would fight tooth and nail to be in the role forever. Glad he does not think he is bigger than the Club. (We're all custodians at the end of the day).

7. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we expecting Thor jumpers most weeks now
    Gordo is forever etched in history, not much more needs to be said but thanks, the club wouldn't exist without you and, well, the second time round you oversaw the ultimate. KWW has big shoes to fill.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC, westbulldog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His contribution to this club in so many facets has been immeasurable
    All the best PG, you can leave us with your head held high and know you have left us in fantastic shape

Just saying thanks isn't even close to acknowledging your contribution

Post Thanks / Like

There will never be another Gordo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Big shout out to Peter Gordon. Heart and soul Bulldog. Made an enormous contribution to the saving of our Club and has overseen sustainable growth and a long awaited Flag. We owe him a big debt of gratitude.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

13. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Needs a statue at Whitten Oval. Bullgod.

Thank you Gordo, we wouldn't have a club without you.
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes 1eyedog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Build a statue. Legend of the club. Thanks for everything Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter, we are forever indebted to you and the contribution you have made to the Footscray Football Club trading as Western Bulldogs, Footscray Bulldogs, Western Bulldogs Women's teams.

Peter can be proud he is leaving the club in it's strongest position in it's 143 year history and long may it continue.

18. Likes azabob, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all the above. Thanks Peter. So grateful for all you’ve done. Big shoes to fill indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just rapt that people like Peter got to experience 16 after all the blood sweat and tears they put in.

He has given us a platform that will ensure we won't be waiting another 62 years for another...

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all the words expressed above. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he still goes to games so we the fans can shake his hand and thank him, could we have a thank you Peter Gordon game where he does a lap in a car so we can show our gratitude ?
    Bring back the biff

24. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, Eastdog liked this post