Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peter Gordon Leaving

I reckon we should build a brass statute at the door to Whitten oval with a smiling PG with his hand outstretched. That we we can all shake it to say thanks.

There's a similar statue on Dawson Street in Brunswick of a community leader with a smiling face and his hand outstretched, it's a ripper.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes chef, BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We really have been fortunate to have had Peter at the helm, on two occasions. One to save us from oblivion, and the other to help steer us to onfield success and sustainable off-field security.
    The first secured his legacy and his second term fully franked it.

Thank you Peter for your dedication, passion and commitment. You've certainly set a blueprint that clearly challenges those who follow you to live up to.
    Enjoy what comes next in your life Peter.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

KWW answers the tough questions ....

Kylie Watson-Wheeler is managing director of the Walt Disney Company Australia & New Zealand. She talks to AFR BOSS about her morning routine.

What time do you normally get up?

Around quarter to seven, to take my beautiful puppy dog for a walk down to the gorgeous beach here at Black Rock [in Melbourne]. I grab my large skinny latte on the way home. It’s a place that just has a window so I can go past, grab the coffee on the move.

What sort of dog? Is it a COVID-19 dog?

She's a caboodle, or a Bayside special as I like to call her, because we all have the same dogs here. We were very lucky that we got her before COVID happened, so she's one now.

I get home at about quarter to eight. I make sure that the kids are up. Then I get my breakfast sorted. I like to have something that has some protein in it, so either protein cereal or I'll have cottage cheese, tomato, and avocado on toast.

On a Monday, because I’m making sure the kids have a positive outlook on the week ahead, I'll make them waffles.

Then, when everyone is where they need to be, I can come and start my workday in the lounge room on my laptop where I've been sitting for seven months.

Do you have another cup of coffee during the day?

I have another coffee, usually mid-morning, the same coffee, which my husband gets for me. But then in the afternoon, I make a pot of T2 herbal tea. I've got quite a few different flavours and sachets. I drink that all afternoon, as it stays warm in the pot. That’s actually a habit that I've started in COVID. I didn't do that before, but I've really enjoyed adding that to my routine.

Have you found a favourite flavour?

There's one called Jade Mountain. It's a green tea, but then it has a hint of cocoa and hazelnut, so it's just a nice little bit of sweetness to get me through the afternoon.

I was drinking way too much coffee, so I would have another one in the afternoon and maybe even another one, so it's good to break that habit.

What do you do for lunch in lockdown?

I generally have pretty much what I used to eat when I was in the office, either a salad or a wrap. Pre-COVID, there would be lots of lunch meetings, whereas now it's a constant stream of salads and wraps, usually tuna or chicken and salad. It's not very exciting, but it gets me through the day.

Would you normally do a lot of business breakfasts?

Yes, definitely because I've always preferred not to do business dinners. Where I can, I like to be home with the family for dinner. I think that works for a lot of people too, before the day begins.

The company said the continuing high level of restrictions in California were a key reason for its decision.

When you have a breakfast meeting out, do you have a go-to order?

It depends on how much talking I'm going to be doing. If I'm going to be talking a lot, I don't want to be chewing a lot of crunchy toast so I might have oatmeal. But if I'm listening, I can have peanut butter on toast, which is a special treat.

On weekends, what do you have for breakfast?

One of my most favourite rituals on a weekend is to read all of the papers over breakfast. So I love to have all of the papers in front of me and obviously my skinny latte, so that certainly doesn't deviate. It's nice to have a cooked breakfast with the family, so we tend to try to do that at least one of the two days. When my son is playing baseball, which obviously at the moment he's not, I do the same ritual with the papers, but in the car and generally with a naughty egg and bacon roll from the canteen at wherever he's playing.

Do you have tricks or routines when you are super busy?

I think one of the things that has been a real learning experience during COVID is it's really important at the end of the day to get out of the house. And even if it's raining, no matter what, I get up and I go for a walk. I've started listening to podcasts, which I'd never done before, and audio books.

I tend to listen to entertainment podcasts. The audio books are often fiction titles. The most recent one I listened to, which I just found fascinating, was actually non-fiction. It was called Bad Blood. I've been listening to Rob Lowe's podcast. It's called Literally.

So I think definitely leaving the house, engaging your mind in something other than your work for a little while.

About what time would you do your evening walk?

It might be 5.30 or it might be 7.30, just depending on the time. I go for probably about 45 minutes.

Are you itching to get back into the office?

No, I have definitely enjoyed working from home. Going forward, I like the possibility of having the option of not being in the office five days a week.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

6. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

KWW son plays baseball.....

Melbourne Monarchs return to WO confirmed.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    KWW son plays baseball.....

Melbourne Monarchs return to WO confirmed.
    I would like to see us branch out as a sports club in softball, baseball, basketball , indoor cricket team even a soccer club affiliation.

I hope she takes the presidency would like to know more about her than what she drinks , what’s her past employment what schools she went to , her successes, her passion for the club, her outlook on the club etc.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I would like to see us branch out as a sports club in softball, baseball, basketball , indoor cricket team even a soccer club affiliation.

I hope she takes the presidency would like to know more about her than what she drinks , what’s her past employment what schools she went to , her successes, her passion for the club, her outlook on the club etc.
    Like most professionals career and education is all listed on LinkedIn: https://au.linkedin.com/in/kylie-watson-wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Gordon to step down as Western Bulldogs president

Peter Gordon has called an early end to his tenure as Western Bulldogs president. Gordon will go down as one of the club’s most important figures.

Peter Gordon’s decision to step down after a trio of towering achievements as the Bulldogs president will pave the way for the second female president in AFL history.

The Bulldogs boss returned after his first stint helping save the club from an aborted 1989 merger with Fitzroy to help deliver the historic 2016 premiership.

Then a club that had for so long teetered on the brink of financial oblivion was able to reduce a potential $10 million loss this year and emerge with a $1.8 million profit despite COVID.

The Herald Sun revealed exclusively on Thursday that Gordon had decided it was the perfect time to step away, with vice-president Kylie Watson-Wheeler his certain replacement.

Footscray-born and the senior vice president and managing director of Disney Australia, she is expected to be unanimously elected by the club’s members at December 21’s annual general meeting.

Watson-Wheeler will join Richmond’s Peggy O’Neal, who has two more years left in her last term after helping the Tigers win three premierships following her election as president in 2015.

Wheeler-Watson is Melbourne-based with two children, and after going to Dogs games in her childhood she attended a 1989 campaign rally.

“In 1989, when the Bulldogs almost ceased to exist due to financial collapse, there was a Save the Bulldogs rally held at Whitten Oval, run by a young lawyer named Peter Gordon. I was in Year 12 and asked my dad if I could go,” she said recently.

“He said, ‘No, you’re in study week!’. I promised I would take my homework with me. I sat on the gravel behind the goals at the rally, where Peter was hosting.”

After four seasons as the club’s vice-president she will be seamlessly elevated into the presidency.

Campaigning lawyer Gordon will depart with a long list of achievements after rejoining the club in his second stint as president.

The club wiped its debt, won AFL, AFLW and VFL premierships, sold off its poker machines in the Edgewater project, and moved AFL games to Ballarat.

He told members in a letter on Thursday night that it was the right time to move despite having another year on his presidential term.

Gordon had admitted on Thursday the club had feared it might lose as much as $10 million given the COVID catastrophe, wiping out years of prudent financial decisions.

But instead it declared a $1.8 million profit after having to stand down 70 staff immediately and then navigating its way through the 2020 season.

“I did say in May this year that I might consider delaying my departure for another year because of the COVID crisis. But I have decided to leave now,” he said.

“I have full confidence in our vice-president Kylie Watson-Wheeler, our board, our CEO Ameet Bains and our senior management to take the club forward.

“Next, the club has in 2020 completed a tough but responsible re-structure, complied with its TPP and soft cap reduction obligations and posted a substantial profit (its seventh consecutive annual profit and its fifth consecutive year of total profits over $1,000,000.)

“We have in recent months worked hard to put the building blocks in place for continued profitability in 2021, providing our members continue to support the club.

The club has completed its exit from the gaming industry.

The club has substantial cash reserves, far and away the greatest in its history.”

“In all, I believe that the Western Bulldogs Football Club is in a strong position, and it’s a good time for me to move on and for the club to move on too.”

12. Thanks SquirrelGrip, bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordo you are a legend. Thanks for everything but mainly not doing anything dubious or unworthy of our great club.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everything PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Words cannot sum up what he has done for the WBFC.

I would’ve loved to see him stay on and get us through the next couple of years.

2021 & 2022 are going to be tough going off field.

#BeMoreBulldog
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

A giant of our club.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure PG will be still be available as a consulting elder statesman if needed.

Thanks for everything, Peter, we can never repay what we owe you. What a magnificent figure you have been in the history of our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Words cannot sum up what he has done for the WBFC.

I would’ve loved to see him stay on and get us through the next couple of years.

2021 & 2022 are going to be tough going off field.

#BeMoreBulldog
    Why is that ?
    The pokies pay out was not included in this years profit, the crowds will be back , maybe not as many but at least half I would say.
    We will start hiring again .
    I would think it could only improve.
    I also think fixtures will be better suited to the players with hubs and you play interstates teams in the same trip eg Eagles and dockers one week and don’t go back again.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

What are the odds of PG getting a gig on the AFL Commission?

Commissioner Gordon has a nice ring to it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes GVGjr, jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What are the odds of PG getting a gig on the AFL Commission?

Commissioner Gordon has a nice ring to it.
    Get out.
    The curse is dead.

23. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post