Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Still very excited. But he got a wake up call about the next level, which is a good thing for him to have had this year heading into preseason.

But Jamarra got 7 touches in a dysfunctional forward line (Wallis 8, Scott 8, Hannan 8, JJ 10) and load the same number as tackles as JJ. Plus almost all were contested and he had 5 score Involvements (more than Wallis, JJ, Scott & Hannan).

It’s no rising star nomination, but it’s a good developmental lesson.
    Had so many 'almost' marks and it wasn't bad technique that let him down (like Tom Boyd) but entirely down to nerves and rushing. I'm still dirty that Bazlenka wasn't a better teammate to him and called him in to take the easy uncontested mark early on. Would have been a real boost for him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Had so many 'almost' marks and it wasn't bad technique that let him down (like Tom Boyd) but entirely down to nerves and rushing. I'm still dirty that Bazlenka wasn't a better teammate to him and called him in to take the easy uncontested mark early on. Would have been a real boost for him.
    Not to mention energy in the group. Something we lacked all day. I can only guess the extra speed of the game and rushed decision making that you can only get from ‘doing’ contributed to a lot of it. He certainly understands windy VFL skill levels to the top level, that’s for sure.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of young Bailey, why does he exit stoppages, run directly at team mates who are stationary and pummel a hand pass at them like its world of sports? I cracked up he did it a couple of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Speaking of young Bailey, why does he exit stoppages, run directly at team mates who are stationary and pummel a hand pass at them like its world of sports? I cracked up he did it a couple of times.
    Because Baz lives on his own planet.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty rough getting Rampe as your opponent for the majority of your debut.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m probably being way too lenient but I thought he got better as the game wore on. Once he got his first touch that wasn’t a brutal unforced error he seemed to settle down a lot and had a couple of nice moments.

The main concern was what looked like a tendency to misread and run under the ball but he’ll work that out with game time. He’s probably never dropped a chest mark in his life before though and never will again, so hopefully we get to see him next week in the firsts with his nerves out of the way.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m probably being way too lenient but I thought he got better as the game wore on. Once he got his first touch that wasn’t a brutal unforced error he seemed to settle down a lot and had a couple of nice moments.

The main concern was what looked like a tendency to misread and run under the ball but he’ll work that out with game time. He’s probably never dropped a chest mark in his life before though and never will again, so hopefully we get to see him next week in the firsts with his nerves out of the way.
    His ball reading has been questionable the last few weeks at VFL level, too.

That lightning handball to JJ was nice though.

Post Thanks / Like

His ball reading has been questionable the last few weeks at VFL level, too.

That lightning handball to JJ was nice though.
    In my personal experience its as much about a lack of confidence in forcing back into a contest as it is misreading the play. Which if so maybe there’s an argument to be made that he shouldn’t play, but I really think he’ll work around it and develop better in the firsts.

Need to remember that putting games into Jamarra comes at the very low cost of not playing one of Hannan or Wallis.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

There was enough in that performance to see that he's going to be alright. He got to the right spots and just lacked a little composure and strength to pluck a couple.

I'm not sure he'll be in our best team come the end of the year, but I'd like to see him given a couple more games to become comfortable at the level and to given him a nice taste before he gets an off-season in the gym to get his body a bit more AFL ready.

12. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There was enough in that performance to see that he's going to be alright. He got to the right spots and just lacked a little composure and strength to pluck a couple.

I'm not sure he'll be in our best team come the end of the year, but I'd like to see him given a couple more games to become comfortable at the level and to given him a nice taste before he gets an off-season in the gym to get his body a bit more AFL ready.
    Interesting take, i saw the opposite, I saw nothing in that game that got me excited in any way with his performance. He didn't show any athleticism, (given he is so light, he should have run rampe all over the place)

I'm not writing him off, he's a young kid who has missed out on a fair bit of development, but that was about the most ordinary debut as there ever has been.

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Interesting take, i saw the opposite, I saw nothing in that game that got me excited in any way with his performance. He didn't show any athleticism, (given he is so light, he should have run rampe all over the place)

I'm not writing him off, he's a young kid who has missed out on a fair bit of development, but that was about the most ordinary debut as there ever has been.
    I saw signs, albeit very small. Did I see number 1 pick, once in a generation player sort of signs? Absolutely not.

His body looks nowhere near fit enough for AFL. Fitness is one thing but his upper body does not look much more conditioned than your average office worker.

Post Thanks / Like

His numbers pretty much are on par with a lot of KPFs on debut (Buddy had 9 touches no goals in his first game, Riewoldt 3 disposals and no goals, Carey 7 touches, etc).

He's very undeveloped but you don't draft a 195cm kid for his first year, you draft him for his output when developed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm prepared to give him time. You can certainly see the potential with his skills and reflexes. Just needs to get fitter and build confidence. It wasn't the most ideal debut having to come into a forward line sans Naughton that was totally dysfunctional and play on one of the best defenders in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

When have you ever seen a kid come in and run a seasoned player all over the place? Rampe has had probably 10 pre-seasons, is a high quality AFL player who uses his body as well as any defender in the competition... You're dreaming if a kid who has been in the system for 5min is going to out run a veteran... and given the reports from our posters regarding his performances for Footscray it was pretty clear that his fitness isn't where it needs to be just yet.

As far as worst ever debut.. yeah, nah. Jono Brown didn't touch the ball in his debut, Nick Riewoldt had 3 touches and Luke Darcy looked like he learnt to run the day before he strode across the luscious Waverley turf. Sure he didn't set the world on fire, but he did about as well as his more experienced team-mates, but maybe that says more about them than him.

19. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet as poor as his debut may have been, there were plenty of others who were worse yesterday.