Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t play a game this year.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

A game against north or one of sides well out of contention would be ideal. Jamarra really needs to build his endurance up & when he does boy will he be exciting to watch (as he is showing glimpses of in vfl).

Gotta give Schache a go-he has the tank & can act as backup ruck & can bloody well kick straight too!!
    Last edited by josie; 28-04-2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Horrendous typo!!

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    A game against north or one of sides well out of contention would be ideal. Jamarra really needs to build his endurance up & when he dies boy will he be exciting to watch (as he is showing glimpses of in vfl).

Gotta give Schache a go-he has the tank & can act as backup ruck & can bloody well kick straight too!!
    What in another life....
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I’m hearing noises from within about a certain debutant this week ….
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I’m hearing noises from within about a certain debutant this week ….
    Now that’s exciting! Hope he lives up to the hype. Media frenzie coming on.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

7. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    What in another life....
    Oh dear, helluva mistake. Thanks Hotdog for spotting that. Typos are a speciality of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I really am looking forward to seeing JUH in the first, I just think for what we've done thus far, and the competition we're trying to breed for spots, I can't see how we overlook Schache as English's replacement this week.
    I know his numbers weren't spectacular last week for Footscray, but I really liked his energy, effort and hardness. Things in the past I've been critical about.
    Coming off kicking 5 the week before, I think he's put his hand up and we need to reward that if we're to keep our VFL players keen.

10. Likes SquirrelGrip, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as worried about Marra's perceived lack of fitness. He is a young tall (he's huge) and I'm not sure many come in with amazing endurance straight away.

I'm in the school of thought that he would certainly rise to the occasion and his form as a forward kicking 5 is merit enough.

Imagine Jamarra with our mids pumping it to him. Wowee. He'd grow an extra leg.

12. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm not as worried about Marra's perceived lack of fitness. He is a young tall (he's huge) and I'm not sure many come in with amazing endurance straight away.

I'm in the school of thought that he would certainly rise to the occasion and his form as a forward kicking 5 is merit enough.

Imagine Jamarra with our mids pumping it to him. Wowee. He'd grow an extra leg.
    I thought a lot of the big guys who are drafted these days have excellent tanks.......and that JUH was a bit more in the Buddy mould in that he was blessed with freakish burst speed and thus, more rare?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    As much as I really am looking forward to seeing JUH in the first, I just think for what we've done thus far, and the competition we're trying to breed for spots, I can't see how we overlook Schache as English's replacement this week.
    I know his numbers weren't spectacular last week for Footscray, but I really liked his energy, effort and hardness. Things in the past I've been critical about.
    Coming off kicking 5 the week before, I think he's put his hand up and we need to reward that if we're to keep our VFL players keen.
    Agree on Schache. Not sure a Sweet/Martin Ruck Combo will do much damage up forward like English or Schache, which is where they spend most of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

If English needs another week... If the MC drop Schache... Pretty *!*!*!*!ing excited!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Schache will replace English I think. Good time to stick it to the Tigers who thought he was no good.
    It seems Richmond were right
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

How does this fvxkwit have a job in the media
    https://mobile.twitter.com/7AFL/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    How does this fvxkwit have a job in the media
    https://mobile.twitter.com/7AFL/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=
    I’ve got some advice for Tom. Accept that nobody likes you, no one respects you, no one cares what you say or think, or your made up ‘sources’, you are a running joke and a public service warning for why women shouldn’t smoke ice while pregnant. And if physically possible, please go f*ck yourself you dumb, weak, irrelevant, pissant motherf*cker.

Statement of Conflicts of Interest: Yes. I have always detested him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes bornadog, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The real reasons No. 1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is yet to debut for the Western Bulldogs

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan arrived at the Dogs with a healthy dose of confidence and plans to debut in Round 1. As his coach spars with reporters, it still hasn’t happened.

Watch every single one of Jamarra Ugle-Hagan’s VFL possessions and the highlights-reel stuff screams of Lance Franklin.

Gathering the ball tight on the boundary then spinning to hit up Cody Weightman with a darting kick of precision and poise.

Bounding onto a loose ball at half forward to sink onto his left foot before thumping the ball through from well outside the 50m arc.

As Luke Beveridge got into a testy argument with journalist Ronny Lerner on Friday night about his potential debut, it was clear the Dogs are sick of the relentless questions.

Why hasn’t he debuted yet?

Why wouldn’t the No. 1 pick be playing AFL seven rounds in?

The issue is watching every possession so far isn’t a marathon task.

Even after a loss Beveridge should know better – you get the No. 1 overall pick and you absolutely must answer a question on him every time you are in front of the cameras.

But the Dogs are entirely justified in making Ugle-Hagan work for his debut.

He isn’t playing yet because of form, because of the Dogs’ determination to knock off his rough edges, because of his fitness, his defensive attributes and because the bottom line is this.

The Dogs have three key forwards ahead of him, with Josh Schache’s modest display in place of Tim English surely drawing him closer to an AFL debut.

Ugle-Hagan is averaging just 10 possessions per VFL game and has taken only eight marks in his three contests, rated below average in the VFL.

From those 10 possessions he is averaging six score involvements, which is off-the-charts stuff.

But his five-goal game against GWS, his most encouraging performance to date, included a Joe-the-Goose he soccered through from point-blank range and a goalsquare collect and goal that fell in his lap.

None of it is to suggest he won’t be the player the Dogs hoped for, but Beveridge doesn’t have to get cranky about the Friday night emergency, he just has to keep stating the facts.

Against the Northern Bullants in a 10-touch, one-goal outing this weekend, the bloke coaching against him knew a bit about the expectation he faced.

Former No. 1 overall pick Josh Fraser played exactly 200 of his 218 games for Collingwood – including 21 in his first season – but believes Beveridge is setting up his pupil to succeed.

“We put Benny Silvagni on him at the weekend which shows the high level of respect for him already. Benny did a terrific job. I think what he is experiencing is some growing pains early on in his career but the luxury he has, which will be a real benefit to him, is he can have those pains at VFL level and not being thrust onto the AFL stage straight away,” he said.

“The way Luke is managing him is perfect for his career.

“He is extremely athletic, he is clean with the ball, and I am not completely across his leading patterns with what the Dogs want him to do, but he has the capacity to move up the ground and meet the footy and then work back to the goalsquare. Everyone gets excited about goals but I am sure the Dogs are working on all parts of his game.”

Beveridge was pointed on Friday night about that aspect of Ugle-Hagan’s defence, saying every player needed to buy into the off-ball set-up when they played for the Dogs.

Fraser seemingly hit the scene fully formed, an assured media performer and balanced individual who still admits there are times he regrets the No. 1 tag.

“Yeah, there were times, to be honest. I probably wish I had a slightly different introduction to the AFL and spent more time at VFL level. So I could develop other parts of my game, but I understand why I was given the opportunity as early as I was.

“To be brutally honest there are a lot of things I would have loved to have done differently in my career. There was a lot of pressure, no doubt about that. I couldn’t put my hand up and say I handled it all that well in different stages of my career.”

Ugle Hagan has spark and spunk and some football arrogance.

He has been in a relationship with Brendan Fevola’s daughter Mia for around 10 months, with the ex-Blues star firing back about trolls and critics of the relationship in March.

“He’s a great kid, she’s a great girl, she’s smart, she’s got her own business, she studies, she’s got a degree … she can do what she wants. It just pisses me off that people can write that and say vile things online about any girl, not just Mia.”

Ugle-Hagan strolled to the front of a nightclub queue over summer and was noted demanding entry with the famous old line but was quickly put back in his box.

There is no doubt he arrived with the heady confidence of junior stardom.

But Dogs insiders report he has not rocked the boat, has worked hard on his weaknesses, has never shirked an issue.

Skipper and former No. 4 draft pick Marcus Bontempelli said on Tuesday he chatted regularly to the first-year player about his status, aware it was “tough” on him given his determination to make an impact.

“He came in with a bit of a rush and wanted to display a bit of an influence early, but sometimes it just doesn’t go to plan,” he said.

“Sometimes they’re good lessons to learn early in your career because they do help you as you progress, going through those challenging experiences.

“There’s no doubt he’ll be better for it as a player.”

Ugle-Hagan just isn’t quite ready. And he is playing at the first club to take a No. 1 overall pick while in contention since Des Headland was taken by Brisbane in the 1998 national draft.

The Lions played finals in 1997, had a five-win stinker in 1998, took Headland and then marched to a preliminary final the next year as he played three games in his debut season.

So given the unique circumstances, Ugle-Hagan will bide his time until injury or form means Beveridge has to pick him.

Round 11 is part of the Sir Doug Nicholls Round, and the Dogs take on Melbourne on a Friday night in the battle of two emerging powerhouses.

The Dogs surely won’t parade him like fellow No. 1 pick Jack Watts on Queens Birthday.

And yet there would be no better stage if he is truly ready for a player with some of the skill and all the showmanship of Lance Franklin before him.