Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

This is all the Crows fault. Horrible club.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually what the hell is that article?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes jeemak, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guaranteed in this week.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It was a strange read.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone trying to get in with Bevo.

It went all over the place but wasn’t too far off the mark with some of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Someone trying to get in with Bevo.

It went all over the place but wasn’t too far off the mark with some of it.
    Jon Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just leave this here......Damo at his best.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/608024/...=1620186776001
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'll just leave this here......Damo at his best.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/608024/...=1620186776001
    Imagine another code posting a video on their official website doing a drive-by on an 18 year old yet to play a game because a coach decided not to answer a question at a press conference.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes jeemak, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine another code posting a video on their official website doing a drive-by on an 18 year old yet to play a game because a coach decided not to answer a question at a press conference.
    This is the issue I have too - this content is created, endorsed and promoted by the league. It’s actually disgraceful.

The pot shots at Bevo as well are pathetic.

This is the first mention I’ve heard about JUH being frustrated at not being selected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    This is the issue I have too - this content is created, endorsed and promoted by the league. It’s actually disgraceful.

The pot shots at Bevo as well are pathetic.

This is the first mention I’ve heard about JUH being frustrated at not being selected.
    Yeah, the comment about JUH being angry is interesting. But Damo is a sh1t stirrer so I wouldn’t believe it!

13. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL are the disgrace in this for allowing it posted up on their website.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

WHY IT IS QUITE ALRIGHT TO BE PATIENT WITH UGLE-HAGAN

There has been a great deal of talk surrounding reigning No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Many people are wondering when we are going to see the talented young forward unleashed at AFL level, but the Western Bulldogs appear as though they are taking a patient approach.

And that’s the way it should be.

There is no rush to blood a youngster who has been described as a “generational talent” with “freakish ability”.

You just need to take a look at recent history to learn that giving games to developing forwards is not the be-all and end-all.

Since 2010, there have been three key forwards taken with the premium selection and for varying reasons, none of that trio remain in the AFL system.

Jon Patton retired recently after an injury-riddled career which ended following some off-field issues. He was held off until Round 12 of his debut year in 2012 before first injuring his knee the following season.

Paddy McCartin, who has been in the news for the wrong reasons this week, debuted in Round 3 of 2015. His AFL career with St Kilda was ended in 2018 because of concussions issues.

Tom Boyd stepped into the AFL in Round 5, 2014, but was done and dusted at the elite level in 2019 after battling depression.

It would be careless to throw all of them into the same category, but the fact of the matter is, big forwards need time and showing patience shouldn’t be seen as a negative.

Carlton has proved that patience is a virtue with Harry McKay. Taken with pick 10 in 2015, the now 23-year-old has gone past similar types from his draft class including Bulldog Josh Schache, Sam Weideman, Eric Hipwood and Harry Himmelberg.

He played just 15 games in his first three seasons, biding his time and building his game at the lower level.

Yes, he missed some time through injury but there is no denying that the Blues have treated him with kid gloves and are now reaping the rewards.

The spotlight is bright for a kid already likened to one of the game’s greatest ever in Lance Franklin. Those comparisons have been made before he’s even played a game of senior footy.

Now that is some hype to live up to. Patience please.

Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli, who has experienced a somewhat similar hype as a No.4 draft pick himself, is acutely aware that the career of a footballer does not have a clearly written blueprint to follow.

“I’m sure he wanted to come in and play straight away and have an impact, but sometimes your footy career is non-linear,” he told reporters of his teammate earlier this week.

“You have to take a different journey at times.

“I feel like he is (handling it fine), but he's probably like any athlete, he probably wants to be ahead of where they are and he's hungry to succeed.”

Ugle-Hagan has years ahead to succeed. He can hone his craft, learn from his more experienced teammates, get his running to AFL standard, and work his way into what is a fairly cut-throat and competitive environment.

The penny doesn’t always drop for young players immediately, but allowing them to find their feet can more often than not be beneficial.

“He came in with a bit of a rush and wanted to display a bit of an influence early but sometimes it just doesn't go to plan,” Bontempelli added.

“Sometimes they're good lessons to learn early in your career because they do help you as you progress, going through those challenging experiences.

“There's no doubt he'll be better for it as a player.”

The fleet-footed and athletic Ugle-Hagan, with his new-found ‘fame’ in tow, had reportedly enjoyed himself over summer where he supposedly attempted to skip queues at nightclubs, perhaps even wheeling out the old “do you know who I am?” line.

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson discussed that sort of behaviour, refraining to lambast a teenager for having a bit of fun.

“I do not know that to be true,” Melbourne champion Lyon said on SEN Breakfast.

“What I do know and what my experience tells me is that footy clubs are the best places that if there is a little bit of overconfidence, it gets fixed pretty quickly.

“Sometimes they (footy clubs) can be overly brutal but I guess in this new day and age people look at it and say you can’t be doing that. It’s held people in good stead for a long time.

“He’ll sort it out, he’s a smart kid, he’s a talented kid. Playing in the VFL he’s getting great experience.

“They’ve got a player on their hands and how good will it be when he does play.

“You’ve got to live your life. He’s 19 years old, you’ve got to get out there and get amongst it.

“That wouldn’t be held against you. This is not what he’s doing, but unless you’re out getting smashed every weekend then people might have something to say about it.”

Watson himself was strutting his stuff at the top level at the ripe old age of 15 so has walked a mile in these shoes before.

He is all for the softly, softly approach.

“Long-term, I think it’s the best thing for him,” the former Essendon captain said.

“He’s a prodigious talent. To earn his spot in that team, to understand all the components that need to come together for you to be an AFL player at a very strong club, I think it will serve him well long-term.

“Those guys that haven’t necessarily set the world on fire at VFL level, but when you put them up to the next level it’s like, ‘This is what I’ve been waiting for. Now I can explode. I’ll show you some of the things I can do’.”

Even if he is waiting in line for his turn at the Bulldogs, does it really matter?

He clearly has enough raw ability to be considered the best junior footballer in the country and if he is nurtured and developed in the right way, and allowed to grow into his new life, then it will all click one day.

The average career life span of an AFL player isn’t long so why try to push the envelope and rush somebody who the game can enjoy for years and years to come.

Ugle-Hagan finds himself at a strong club who just happen to be playing some pretty good footy in 2021 and there are more accomplished players ahead of him.

Luke Beveridge has been operating with three tall forwards - Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce and Tim English (who also spends time in the ruck) - and it has worked a treat so far.

When that triumvirate was upset with English missing, the Dogs happened to lose. So there is a clear formula there and a 19-year-old trying to take everything in around him may not suit a strategy that is working.

So let him live and learn and enjoy himself.

As the Bont said, “he’ll be better for it”.

In recent years we’ve seen it blow up for people with similar profiles so experience tells us that maybe taking a more prudent pathway could pay off.

Why it might be tantalising to accelerate the process, there is absolutely no reason to hurry Jamarra.

16. Thanks Bulldog4life, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The analogy I like to think is Josh Fraser . He played too many games too early and he looked worn out in his last year at the pies

We are nurturing and development UGH to his full potential . “It’s A Great time for him without the media scrutiny and pressures where he can make his mistakes and grow his game

I heard one of the podcast from Travis cloak he was mentally exhausted in his last year with the sport . We want UGH to play 300 games not 100 and burnout

Just look at what happens to jack watts at melbourne

Just the media and Barrett trying to stir news out of nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    The analogy I like to think is Josh Fraser . He played too many games too early and he looked worn out in his last year at the pies

We are nurturing and development UGH to his full potential . “It’s A Great time for him without the media scrutiny and pressures where he can make his mistakes and grow his game

I heard one of the podcast from Travis cloak he was mentally exhausted in his last year with the sport . We want UGH to play 300 games not 100 and burnout

Just look at what happens to jack watts at melbourne

Just the media and Barrett trying to stir news out of nothing
    Fraser was a sensational junior but thrown into the ruck early in his career to his detriment. He lost a lot of development potential having to go against mature ruck man week after week instead of learning his craft slowly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fraser was a sensational junior but thrown into the ruck early in his career to his detriment. He lost a lot of development potential having to go against mature ruck man week after week instead of learning his craft slowly.
    You don't need to look too far to see the value of an experienced ruckman sharing the load with a talented younger prospect
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"