Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Did miss that one shot alltogether but I can pretend it was a pass if you all can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Did miss that one shot alltogether but I can pretend it was a pass if you all can
    Absolutely a pass. No doubt.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He can really roost the ball. I love this guy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Good on him for working hard all game. So many young forwards can drop the head if they don’t make an impact early - he clearly has sublime natural talent, combine that with great work ethic and he can be unstoppable

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn’t just good for him to get involved but it was critical for the team that he started to have an impact. He just needed to compete and get his hands on it a few times.

To be honest we were carrying him until half way through the second and with Hannan anchored to May, Naughton and Bruce occupied I was really thinking an additional small would have been a better scenario. It isn’t a criticism of Jamarra or match committee, we had to pick him and it’s a tough game for Jamarra squeezed into basically a 4th tall role in wet conditions.

It was critical that he started to have an influence and take his turn when the ball was there to be won.

6. Likes 1eyedog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Wasn’t just good for him to get involved but it was critical for the team that he started to have an impact. He just needed to compete and get his hands on it a few times.

To be honest we were carrying him until half way through the second and with Hannan anchored to May, Naughton and Bruce occupied I was really thinking an additional small would have been a better scenario. It isn’t a criticism of Jamarra or match committee, we had to pick him and it’s a tough game for Jamarra squeezed into basically a 4th tall role in wet conditions.

It was critical that he started to have an influence and take his turn when the ball was there to be won.
    His speed is such a weapon, means he only needs a few looks to get on the end of it and contribute. Combined with his ability to slot goals from 40-50+, defenders really need to put time into him the entire 4 quarters or he can get off the chain. When you also have Naughton and Bruce, it's not easy for the opposition to spread the load and we saw it play out last night.

I'm going to enjoy Bont streaming out of the middle and hitting him on the chest for years to come.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    His speed is such a weapon, means he only needs a few looks to get on the end of it and contribute. Combined with his ability to slot goals from 40-50+, defenders really need to put time into him the entire 4 quarters or he can get off the chain. When you also have Naughton and Bruce, it's not easy for the opposition to spread the load and we saw it play out last night.

I'm going to enjoy Bont streaming out of the middle and hitting him on the chest for years to come.
    Yeah if you don’t have body on him he is going to get separation.

I don’t see 3 talls plus Hannan as viable going forward as we need to be able to pressure on the way out. Couple of our talls are really mobile but the ability to close exits ahead of the ball, close space quickly and compete for ground balls is different to being quick for your size. Going to be very interesting how we handle it, more so if Martin gets back.

The mids coming back will add complexity as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he looked like the player that would land a killer blow, and he did it in two different ways, equally pleasing. One was the cream on Bontempelli’s clearance. The other was a shepherd to allow Hunter time on the ball for the final goal.

I saw a kid working to the contest, looking like a half chance most times who got busy when the heat was on.

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Thought he looked like the player that would land a killer blow, and he did it in two different ways, equally pleasing. One was the cream on Bontempelli’s clearance. The other was a shepherd to allow Hunter time on the ball for the final goal.

I saw a kid working to the contest, looking like a half chance most times who got busy when the heat was on.
    Couldn't agree with this more, great shepherd.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see 3 talls plus Hannan as viable going forward as we need to be able to pressure on the way out. Couple of our talls are really mobile but the ability to close exits ahead of the ball, close space quickly and compete for ground balls is different to being quick for your size. Going to be very interesting how we handle it, more so if Martin gets back.

Naughton is possibly our best pressure forward and Hannan's pressure seems to be a reason he's in the team so the only outlet really is Bruce's opponent or English when he goes forward.
    Marra is bloody quick so after one more pre-season it won't be an issue either.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The first shot Marra had was not a good one, he looked a little nervous, but that sealer he kicked, he was very cool and determined to nail it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Naughton is possibly our best pressure forward and Hannan's pressure seems to be a reason he's in the team so the only outlet really is Bruce's opponent or English when he goes forward.
    Marra is bloody quick so after one more pre-season it won't be an issue either.
    Naughton has amazing pressure but it’s the sum of the parts. None of them have the same ground level pressure and agility of a small. Naughton will also be playing deep generally and you can play them all there, it is going to impact our territory game at some point.

In terms of actions that make up a team defence it doesn’t stop at chasing the ball out in your direct area. In my view the notion that Naughton has great pressure plus Jamarra and Hannan run a good sprint time means we can play 3.5/4 talls is jumping the gun. There is much more nuance to it than that which I think you appreciate but we need to be careful.

How quickly can they repeat effort to cover the corridor in transition? This takes concentration as well and big guys tire.
    Ground level skill and ability impacts our defensive system, if we dont win it or draw it then it can get out.
    What their collective tackling ability like?
    How well do they close space? Agility and low centre of gravity can be just as important as pace.
    Can we collectively defend the exit kick?

I’m open to it but having put together a few defensive plans there is more to it than pace and chasing. We need to see more of this and see how it impacts in all conditions and opposition. Jamarra chasing straight after a contest should be fine but the collective effort when he is 1 of 3.5/4 talls would be my worry.

15. Thanks Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

That was a finals like game. And as pretty much everyone had heavy legs late in the game, Marra’s insane leg speed to get separation on a good defender and kick the winner with five minutes is a real asset coming into finals. X factor, wildcard, call it what you like.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Goodes had a pretty big upper body, I just don't see Marra getting that big. Then again Chris Grant got huge but looked like Jarrad Grant in his first season so what would I know?
    Yeah but Chris was only about 12 years old in his first season.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hannan tackled and pressured well I thought last night (conditions perhaps suited) and Marra has the wheel similar to Naughton to actually be good chasing and shutting down the exits. I think we can play all of them, but it may depend on conditions / opponents.