Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

I love the romance of it, but he can barely get through a VFL game. Maybe we can play him for the first half and activate the sub once he inevitably succumbs to a full body cramp.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I love the romance of it, but he can barely get through a VFL game. Maybe we can play him for the first half and activate the sub once he inevitably succumbs to a full body cramp.
    Yep... I’d love for him to be playing sooner rather than later, but let’s give him a few more games at the lower level to build up his tank before he gets his opportunity.

It is a rather scary for everyone else that we have him waiting in the wings.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tigers aren’t the side I’d bring him in against and Schache is much more deserving of promotion from a form/work rate/conditioning perspective.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Testekill, DOG GOD, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to save him for the Essendon game.

1) Imagine the salty burn after they lost the trade period, didn’t get Dunkley and now they have a kid who grew up supporting them kicking a bag on them.
    2) They will definitely go after him In the game (with cheap shots etc.) and it should wash any semblance of love he has for his boyhood club down the drain.

3) I hate Essendon.

7. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, DOG GOD, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So. Why isn’t his tank up to scratch?

He has been part of our program for a number of years and last year apparently he spent a lot of time running when he wasn’t playing.

I am somewhat concerned he still has a long way to go.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

He has been part of our program for a number of years and last year apparently he spent a lot of time running when he wasn’t playing.

He missed an entire year of playing and training. That'll set most kids back.

There's really only been one Vic kid drafted last year that's kicked on to this point and that is certified athletic freak, Nik Cox.

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We’re also consciously trying to blow him up with extended runs on the wing. Which his tank *should* be able to handle but its definitely making him more tired than he’d be otherwise.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The first few practice games in the VFL didn't help with one player basically having to be glued to the goalsquare at all times. He's just coming from a long way back endurance wise due to a variety of factors. Internally the club will know if he understands just what is required of him from that standpoint if he's to play AFL. It's possible we could play him with the intention of blowing him up if we think that's what he needs to really get it but at the same time, it might just be something that takes 2-3 years of full preseasons to get to the level of what's required given the way the game is played and the limited interchanges.

There have been numerous examples of young talented players who have taken time to get fit enough for AFL (including Gary Ablett Jnr) but with the current interchange cap, there's less opportunity to carry players through games, so it's a tough decision for the match committee, especially when Schache is also putting his hand up to play in a similar position with years more under his belt.

13. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It is a rather scary for everyone else that we have him waiting in the wings.
    Not many teams would have a no 1 and no 2 draft pick playing VFL simply due to competition for spots.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

There is little substitute for match fitness.
    I think he's close to Bont in terms of natural talent but he just isn't ready and I think it will be many weeks before he is.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember JUH doing well at the endurance test at one of the state screenings maybe at 17 or just before the pandemic?

I'm a little surprised by his fitness lets hope he gets the message, Bevo noted it early I like the way the club is managing him.

I wouldn't play him until the second half of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We should select Schache and I agree 100%.

BUT

What is the point of having an exciting #1 pick KPF if not to have the fun of pumping him up to the rest of the footy industry. Thereby also telling everyone not only are we top of the ladder with the best attack, we have a#1 pick KPF ready to thrill the footy world.

SO

After 5 goals last week, we the top of the ladder should unleash our once in a generation forward. Immediately as he’s a gun who will make this top of the ladder team even better. He’s a freakish talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As Regan said in the Exorcist all in good time Karras.

Post Thanks / Like

Why rush? Remember the Jack watts debut before he was physically ready? We have a rare talent. I can wait.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

21. Likes Topdog, 1eyedog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he is ready, but then again, wouldn't it be great to get your first game in front of a big crowd a dn get a taste for it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.