Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Thilthorpe played all last year against men and was much more hardened than Marra is right now. Marra would be chewed up and spit out at AFL level.
    That is true about Thilthorpe, but would JUH fare much worse against the third or fourth (usually undersized) AFL defender than he would against the first best VFL defender?

As Bonrnadog suggested, maybe the North game (or the Hawks game) could be the strategic time to pull the trigger. if he does struggle it might be the catalyst to working harder (if that is as reported an issue) or settle down his disgruntled side (if this is as has been reported). If nothing else, young players who get a taste often go away and have more of an understanding of where they need to get to etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well...he might not be THIS WEEK.

But if you gave him EVERY GAME for the rest of the year ahead of Hannan, then by year's end who would be the player causing the opposition more headaches.

The arguments about not playing him because he's not ready? Well...of COURSE he isn't ready. He's played 5x games in 2 years.

But not playing him is not getting him ready. I'm firmly in the 'Our time is NOW' camp and having dangerous forwards who could potentially impact the game in our side could really help. We have our share of foot soldiers right now...we need to give the other sides something to think about.
    Yeah I’m with you. If someone is gonna play full forward and do nothing then I’d rather it be Marra.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    That is true about Thilthorpe, but would JUH fare much worse against the third or fourth (usually undersized) AFL defender than he would against the first best VFL defender?
    He can't get to enough contests.

Even third or fourth defenders at AFL level are miles ahead of journeyman full backs at VFL in terms of ability and conditioning.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I’m with you. If someone is gonna play full forward and do nothing then I’d rather it be Marra.
    Just saying sometimes it is easier to get a kick at the elite level than it is at the lower level. I know his form doesn't warrant a game but if he gets the taste it might be what he needs to unleash his talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Toby McLean was let back in because he was 'terrorizing' team mates at training.
    It's not just what Jamarra does on VFL day. They will watch what he does at the training track.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

But if you gave him EVERY GAME for the rest of the year ahead of Hannan, then by year's end who would be the player causing the opposition more headaches.

The arguments about not playing him because he's not ready? Well...of COURSE he isn't ready. He's played 5x games in 2 years.

But not playing him is not getting him ready. I'm firmly in the 'Our time is NOW' camp and having dangerous forwards who could potentially impact the game in our side could really help. We have our share of foot soldiers right now...we need to give the other sides something to think about.
    I'm starting to come around to the idea of just playing him, mainly because we essentially get nothing out of far less skilled players as it is (Hannan is number one).

I think he probably needs to play VFL this week but I'd look to bring him in v Norf and then try and play him for the rest of the year, unless he's totally out of his depth.

You get the sense he could be the difference in a final; that's not to say he dominates, he won't, but I mean that he's far more likely to take a screamer and kick a freak goal than Hannan, Wallis etc and be the one to get us over the line, such is his pure ability.

With a 'full side' or close to it you could probably argue we can carry him.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Toby McLean was let back in because he was 'terrorizing' team mates at training.
    It's not just what Jamarra does on VFL day. They will watch what he does at the training track.
    In fairness tmac has 6 years in the elite/professional system behind him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    In fairness tmac has 6 years in the elite/professional system behind him.
    Details, Details
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Details, Details
    Ha. Don't get me wrong I want to see Marra too, but do it when the time is right and warranted.

I agree with the point Ghost Dog is making though. MacLean showed he really wanted in. UH needs to do that too, but he's has to be fit enough and ready enough also.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just not sold on JUH.
    Before Covid hit he wasn't even top 10 talks, then suddenly covid hit, no one is playing any football and the media start blowing smoke up his ass and propel him to number 1 in a matter of months (same thing I'm seeing happening with Sam Darcy, from not even top 40 to all of a sudden being touted as potential top 5).

JUH's VFL games have been average, at best, really bad work rate in some games, doesn't really impact contests as much as he should be, the only thing going for him is his a great shot at goal. Couple this with the off-field stuff, the constant partying, clubbing, reports of drug taking at festivals, and *!*!*!*!ing Fev as some type of mentor, and I just don't see it. I get the feeling his gonna be one of the worst number 1 picks in a long time.

I hope he proves me wrong but I'm just not sold.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I do not rate what Hannan has produced thus far but am confident he is doing a lot right. He is involved in the contest a lot, covers ground really well and if his execution was maybe 10-20% better then we would be really happy with his performances.

I think offensively JUH probably offers as much as him right now but in terms of ability to do all the other stuff he is probably miles behind.

The other part is that there is no way we are trying to not play him. Our selection policy Bevo's entire reign has been if there is a first year player who is doing the right stuff off field and is performing ok at VFL level then he will get a taste. We would be desperate to play him, but we just need him to tick the boxes so that he nominally earns the opportunity. He must have been really close earlier this year, but was held out by all three players in the ones playing great and then Schache dominating VFL. Then he got injured right when we might have picked him and then covid ruined the last few weeks. We have used every player on our list this year except for JUH, Richards, Hayes and Bedendo.

He will play, lets just relax and enjoy it when it comes.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    the only thing going for him is his a great shot at goal
    Have you seen him go for his marks? Makes Naughton look like a child
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Have you seen him go for his marks? Makes Naughton look like a child
    I have, watched every VFL game and as much of his U18 stuff as possible. Problem is he gets bodied way too easily by VFL level defenders, due to his lack of muscle, hopefully that comes in time, but currently I rate Naughton as a much better grab than JUH.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I have, watched every VFL game and as much of his U18 stuff as possible. Problem is he gets bodied way too easily by VFL level defenders, due to his lack of muscle, hopefully that comes in time, but currently I rate Naughton as a much better grab than JUH.
    It's hard to compare considering Naughton was playing behind the ball at the same age.
    Naughton's attack on the ball in flight is the best I've ever seen. Marra might have the most natural leap of any kid over 190cm I've seen.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We are the highest scoring team in the league. I think we are functioning pretty well in this area of the game.