Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Rising star nomination- keep it up son
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs young gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has conceded he was “nowhere near” fit enough during his frustrating debut season and has opened up on the advice that stuck with him during a “grinding” summer.

The No. 1 draft pick in the 2020 national draft, Ugle-Hagan did not debut at AFL level until Round 17 last season and was then overlooked by coach Luke Beveridge for the Bulldogs’ finals campaign.

It was widely speculated that Ugle-Hagan’s fitness levels were a large part of the reason why he was out of the senior team for much of last season, messages that the first-year player was receiving internally but didn’t fully comprehend.

“At the time you hear all these things from the coaches that you need to do this or that, but you feel like you are ready,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“But now looking back on it, I was nowhere near it.

“It was hard to come in as the No. 1 draft pick. You expect to come in and just play some footy. But it’s completely different to juniors. You’re playing against men. They’re obviously going to have more development and they’re going to be fitter and stronger and better.

“I needed a fitness level to compare to last year to understand where I was at.”

The 20-year-old got that comparative fitness level over the off-season, the entirety of which he spent “in the back pocket” of captain Marcus Bontempelli.

The pair travelled together to Exmouth, the Gold Coast, Sydney, Darwin and the Tiwi Islands — all while completing a gruelling training program.

“He asked me to tag along,” Ugle-Hagan said of the trip with his skipper.

“It got me a lot closer to him. But when we had to train, I could tell that he always wanted to do a little bit more. He always wanted to work. So it was great to train with him and I feel like that’s helped me get the games I’ve played this year.

“Doing all the running with Marcus made me a lot better.”

Ugle-Hagan has played 12 matches this year, including a breakout game against reigning premier Melbourne on Saturday night.

The key forward kicked a career-high five goals in that match including three in a tense final quarter, earning him the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for Round 19.

Ugle-Hagan said he had taken a different approach to his football this year, after feeling the pressure of holding the No. 1 draft pick tag last season.

“Being the No. 1 draft pick, you’ve got to expect all the hate, no matter what,” he said.

“But I know Nick Riewoldt said to me when I was walking down into the rooms one game last year that, ‘No one’s going to remember your first two years, they’re going to remember your career, especially as a key forward’. That’s always stuck in the back of my head and has helped keep me grinding and working because I know it’s going to come if I kept doing the little things and not just rely on my talent.”

Ugle-Hagan said he had also taken plenty of advice on board from fellow Bulldogs forwards Josh Bruce and Aaron Naughton as he has tried to play a greater role for the team this year.

“Josh Bruce is always telling me the best thing we can do is halve the contest and bring it to ground,” he said.

“Aaron Naughton tells me to jump for everything and I know he does as well and that’s what makes him such a great player. So that’s my main focus, to jump and compete for everything and halve the contest.

“The past couple of weeks I’ve just been stronger with my marking and I’ve been more confident around the ground. It’s really brought out my old game, where I just used to play and not overthink football.”

Link

3. Thanks Topdog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's so exciting! His agility, ability to find space, clean hands, straight kicking...

Far out. So good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Western Bulldogs young gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has conceded he was “nowhere near” fit enough during his frustrating debut season and has opened up on the advice that stuck with him during a “grinding” summer.

The No. 1 draft pick in the 2020 national draft, Ugle-Hagan did not debut at AFL level until Round 17 last season and was then overlooked by coach Luke Beveridge for the Bulldogs’ finals campaign.

It was widely speculated that Ugle-Hagan’s fitness levels were a large part of the reason why he was out of the senior team for much of last season, messages that the first-year player was receiving internally but didn’t fully comprehend.

“At the time you hear all these things from the coaches that you need to do this or that, but you feel like you are ready,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“But now looking back on it, I was nowhere near it.

“It was hard to come in as the No. 1 draft pick. You expect to come in and just play some footy. But it’s completely different to juniors. You’re playing against men. They’re obviously going to have more development and they’re going to be fitter and stronger and better.

“I needed a fitness level to compare to last year to understand where I was at.”

The 20-year-old got that comparative fitness level over the off-season, the entirety of which he spent “in the back pocket” of captain Marcus Bontempelli.

The pair travelled together to Exmouth, the Gold Coast, Sydney, Darwin and the Tiwi Islands — all while completing a gruelling training program.

“He asked me to tag along,” Ugle-Hagan said of the trip with his skipper.

“It got me a lot closer to him. But when we had to train, I could tell that he always wanted to do a little bit more. He always wanted to work. So it was great to train with him and I feel like that’s helped me get the games I’ve played this year.

“Doing all the running with Marcus made me a lot better.”

Ugle-Hagan has played 12 matches this year, including a breakout game against reigning premier Melbourne on Saturday night.

The key forward kicked a career-high five goals in that match including three in a tense final quarter, earning him the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for Round 19.

Ugle-Hagan said he had taken a different approach to his football this year, after feeling the pressure of holding the No. 1 draft pick tag last season.

“Being the No. 1 draft pick, you’ve got to expect all the hate, no matter what,” he said.

“But I know Nick Riewoldt said to me when I was walking down into the rooms one game last year that, ‘No one’s going to remember your first two years, they’re going to remember your career, especially as a key forward’. That’s always stuck in the back of my head and has helped keep me grinding and working because I know it’s going to come if I kept doing the little things and not just rely on my talent.”

Ugle-Hagan said he had also taken plenty of advice on board from fellow Bulldogs forwards Josh Bruce and Aaron Naughton as he has tried to play a greater role for the team this year.

“Josh Bruce is always telling me the best thing we can do is halve the contest and bring it to ground,” he said.

“Aaron Naughton tells me to jump for everything and I know he does as well and that’s what makes him such a great player. So that’s my main focus, to jump and compete for everything and halve the contest.

“The past couple of weeks I’ve just been stronger with my marking and I’ve been more confident around the ground. It’s really brought out my old game, where I just used to play and not overthink football.”

Link
    Wow he has really matured. I had the pleasure of spending some time with him when he was first drafted and he was so confident it was something I really noted.
    As I've said previously here it wasn't hubris, more excitement and self belief.
    I mentioned it to Moz immediately after that and he was of the exact same opinion. Compared him to Naughts when he first came in (i think).

The role that Marcus plays off-field at our club can not be understated. We are truly blessed to have that man on our side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Wow he has really matured. I had the pleasure of spending some time with him when he was first drafted and he was so confident it was something I really noted.
    As I've said previously here it wasn't hubris, more excitement and self belief.
    I mentioned it to Moz immediately after that and he was of the exact same opinion. Compared him to Naughts when he first came in (i think).

The role that Marcus plays off-field at our club can not be understated. We are truly blessed to have that man on our side.
    Really sounds grown up and like the penny has dropped. Can't wait to see what he's like after another pre season.

Mind you, if we make the finals this year who knows what he could do - clearly doesn't hate the big stage.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Was on Yokai Footy this week.

Interesting to hear him speak about his connection with Bruce and Arthur Jones.
    https://www.afl.com.au/video/807604/...=1658917800001

8. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog Joe, Bulldog4life, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

thanks for posting really enjoyed that
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Now we know why Bruce won't be dropped anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Now we know why Bruce won't be dropped anytime soon.
    6 year contract as Marra's BFF

12. Likes Bulldog4life, hujsh, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really liked his performance after being on media street all week. The club has done a great job managing him and loving his steady progression in the second half of the year.

14. Likes azabob, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Really liked his performance after being on media street all week. The club has done a great job managing him and loving his steady progression in the second half of the year.
    My thoughts also.

He is a humble and confident young man.

Appears to be very respectful of his culture, elders and wants to be a role model to younger indigenous players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elite kick for goal as a junior.

Almost worst shot we have now.

WTF?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Elite kick for goal as a junior.

Almost worst shot we have now.

WTF?
    Love his marking and he is showing a bit of swagger now but he needs to improve those set shots
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He will be right, just lost a bit of confidence. It's all in his head

Post Thanks / Like

Waves the ball around too much before kicking for goal. Needs to watch Cody and Lobb.

He is becoming something special.

Pretty good at ground level for a tall player. Has that floating/gliding look really good players possess.

21. Likes bulldogtragic, EasternWest liked this post