Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Apparently on Bob and Andy (SEN)

Call me cynical but that quote strongly conjures this image ...

BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes Mofra, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry mate, nobody would ever dream of calling you cynical!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Call me cynical but that quote strongly conjures this image ...

He is a freak and can play anywhere Anywhere the coach wants him to
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jamarra adapting to Bulldog life

After going more than twelve months without playing a game of footy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has wasted no time throwing himself into life as an AFL footballer.

The number one pick from last year’s draft has already drawn plenty of praise from teammates about his talent this pre-season.

Ugle-Hagan admits pre-season has been hard work – albeit he’s enjoying that side of it.

“I’m getting used to the body contact with the bigger bodies,” he told SEN’s Bob and Andy on Friday.

“Coming in from a NAB League point of view as a bottom-ager to an AFL list, it’s a lot harder.”

The exciting 18-year-old key forward has been moved between positions in match simulation sessions so far to get a taste of things – after last playing a game of footy at the end of 2019, due to the NAB League season being cancelled.

In Friday’s session, he got a taste of life in the engine room against some of the competition’s elite.

“I had a run in the forward line, deep forward, and then I had a run in the guts,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“I came off the bench and Bevo said, “we’ll chuck you on the wing”. Then he goes, “actually, we’ll chuck you in the guts”.

“It was pretty hard, but I got through it which was good.”

The appeal of a round one debut is in the back of Ugle-Hagan’s mind – although he’s conscious he has a lot of work ahead of him to get there amidst a fight for spots in the Bulldogs’ best 22.

For now, he’s focused on putting in the hard yards and enjoying the ride.

And what will be, will be.

“That’s what we’re all training for in pre-season. Everyone wants to play round one,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“The reason I play footy is because I love it. You don’t want to lose the kid inside you. Obviously it can get hard and it can get tough sometimes.

“Round one, round seven or even next year, there’s no rush to play a game.

“I want to be the best I can in my first year – just do what I can do, nothing special, just have fun and enjoy the game.”

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be a real attempt by the club to pour cold water on the Jamarra hype. Every mention of him in an interview with players/coaches highlights his talent but reinforces how far off he is and how expectations need to be managed. We've also barely had any footage of him throughout the pre-season (but that's nothing new).

Is the club being overly cautious and trying to ensure the he avoids the pressure that has fallen on the likes of Jack Watts and Tom Boyd, or is he really struggling to adapt after having a year off?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon it could be a bit of both. We're a super conservative club and I think possibly a bit scarred by how poorly the media treated Tom Boyd under our watch.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Seems to be a real attempt by the club to pour cold water on the Jamarra hype. Every mention of him in an interview with players/coaches highlights his talent but reinforces how far off he is and how expectations need to be managed. We've also barely had any footage of him throughout the pre-season (but that's nothing new).

Is the club being overly cautious and trying to ensure the he avoids the pressure that has fallen on the likes of Jack Watts and Tom Boyd, or is he really struggling to adapt after having a year off?
    Missed nearly all of last season which would have been a huge development year for him. I'm all for being cautious with expectations on him this year. I'm sure he will impress but he isn't likely to play a lot this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Mofra, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a skinny tall, will take time to be able to compete with AFL bodies

He's 195cm and 90kg, Stringer was 192cm and 95kg when drafted
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Missed nearly all of last season which would have been a huge development year for him. I'm all for being cautious with expectations on him this year. I'm sure he will impress but he isn't likely to play a lot this year
    Always thought he would take time - missing a year at his age is pretty crucial. It's a big step from U18s to the AFL at the best of times, let alone what they all went through last year.

It's unfortunate in the sense that it doesn't feed into building hype/excitement, but his time - and that excitement - will come in time when he's ready.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

6 goals in the practice match nice prediction.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    6 goals in the practice match nice prediction.
    Which quarter?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time I'd seen him in action was yesterday and whilst he's influence was limited what he did just reeks class.. The ball just melds into his hands and his leaping for the ball is similar to Naughts, but he might have more hops which is a little crazy.

My expectations are limited on what we see from him this year given he hasn't really played for 18 months, but very excited to see where he gets to by the end of the year... as this will just be the entrée.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    First time I'd seen him in action was yesterday and whilst he's influence was limited what he did just reeks class.. The ball just melds into his hands and his leaping for the ball is similar to Naughts, but he might have more hops which is a little crazy.

My expectations are limited on what we see from him this year given he hasn't really played for 18 months, but very excited to see where he gets to by the end of the year... as this will just be the entrée.
    I liked his intent to tackle and pressure yesterday above all else. He really put the hurt on a few opponents, all legally.

Look out in 2 years when he's harder and stronger. He won't be dropping many.