Thanks Thanks:  81
Likes Likes:  553
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jamarra - How excited are YOU???

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    The way the ball was coming into the forward line, and the way the forward line was structured made it impossible for Jamarra to have any impact. It was so crowded there was literally nowhere to move, no time to do anything with a crumb before being tackled. No spread, no room to lead into, 5 or 6 players flying for every mark. I would actually like to see him be given some room to move out an a flank or wing. Hopefully we don't play such a numbskull forward game EVER AGAIN!
    I have said it before. Buddy was running around on the Wing in his Rookie Season (well he did against us).

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Even if it is a little weird was still a pretty cool thing to see.
    I didn't realise how much of a he-man McCartin is roughing up a first gamer. Thanks iso cam TIL...!

It was pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good to see Libba getting around him when he had that trip/fumble moment.
    It's what he does hey. We need more of it I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

I think his debut was as expected. He is not the reason we lost. The little things he did were encouraging. He will only get better!

Post Thanks / Like

If we're going with English as solo ruck for the time being, I could easily be convinced that we should just play Marra until Martin gets back. Pump some games into him and who knows what will happen.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If we're going with English as solo ruck for the time being, I could easily be convinced that we should just play Marra until Martin gets back. Pump some games into him and who knows what will happen.
    If Naughton & Bruce get the best two GCS defenders, who have they got for him? Luko? That’s an easier time than Rampe. Would also be a focus to put him under pressure at all times, and hurt him back as Luko isn’t always the close checking type. Similar heights and builds. If Luko gets up the ground send up a mid sized guy to run with him (or Young) and hope for a height mismatch for Jamarra if we can get the ball in quickly to advantage.

I can see the argument.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes N/A, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When have you ever seen a kid come in and run a seasoned player all over the place? Rampe has had probably 10 pre-seasons, is a high quality AFL player who uses his body as well as any defender in the competition... You're dreaming if a kid who has been in the system for 5min is going to out run a veteran... and given the reports from our posters regarding his performances for Footscray it was pretty clear that his fitness isn't where it needs to be just yet.

As far as worst ever debut.. yeah, nah. Jono Brown didn't touch the ball in his debut, Nick Riewoldt had 3 touches and Luke Darcy looked like he learnt to run the day before he strode across the luscious Waverley turf. Sure he didn't set the world on fire, but he did about as well as his more experienced team-mates, but maybe that says more about them than him.
    And just for the record, Rampe ran 14.6kms....the most of any player on the ground.

10. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Interesting take, i saw the opposite, I saw nothing in that game that got me excited in any way with his performance. He didn't show any athleticism, (given he is so light, he should have run rampe all over the place)

I'm not writing him off, he's a young kid who has missed out on a fair bit of development, but that was about the most ordinary debut as there ever has been.
    In Jonathan Brown's debut his stats were zero kicks, zero handballs, one tackle. He received one free which another player played on. Marra's debut wasn't the best but far from the worse. Looked like to me he was disoriented by the speed of the game. Otherwise could have kicked a couple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    In Jonathan Brown's debut his stats were zero kicks, zero handballs, one tackle. He received one free which another player played on. Marra's debut wasn't the best but far from the worse. Looked like to me he was disoriented by the speed of the game. Otherwise could have kicked a couple.
    Brown said he trained with the midfielders the next preseason to build up his tank. It wouldn't do Marra any harm.

Post Thanks / Like

His debut was fine. He was clearly nervous and fumbly, and so a couple of easy possessions went missing as a result. If he'd taken a couple of his marks, we'd probably be happy - but to me that was nerves more than anything else.

I thought his second half was much better. Strong contest in the goalsquare leading to the Daniel goal, where he either got or should have got a free kick for an arm chop, and the crisp pickup and handball to JJ for his miss.

I saw enough to still be excited about what he can develop into.

Post Thanks / Like

15. Thanks Bulldog Joe, BornInDroopSt'54, Bulldog4life, josie thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, Smads57, WBFC4FFC, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge for Jamarra this week. Naughton & Bruce get the main two KPDs. Mid sized guys in Hannan & Wally out of his way. No Lewis Young down there either. If he can work out when and where to lead against a defender lesser than Rampe, then he could have a really good game.

On speed: Naughton is just over 3 seconds over 20m. Jamarra, JJ & Weightman all under 3 seconds for 20m. Hopefully this speed is used to lay tackles. It’s bigger, yet quicker than last week. Not often you get both!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Huge for Jamarra this week. Naughton & Bruce get the main two KPDs. Mid sized guys in Hannan & Wally out of his way. No Lewis Young down there either. If he can work out when and where to lead against a defender lesser than Rampe, then he could have a really good game.

On speed: Naughton is just over 3 seconds over 20m. Jamarra, JJ & Weightman all under 3 seconds for 20m. Hopefully this speed is used to lay tackles. It’s bigger, yet quicker than last week. Not often you get both!
    I could see Will Powell getting JUH. Would be a good test for JUH.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I hope Weightman stays on the ground and looks for the crumbs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I could see Will Powell getting JUH. Would be a good test for JUH.
    Certainly possible. Size wise, Lukosius makes the most sense but GC might not want him playing as defensive a role.

20. Likes DOG GOD liked this post