Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Skipper in 2007?

How is he looking at training? What is a fair expectation of him this season? Has McDougall shot his chances of a place in the 22?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Hard Ball Get Guest

Re: Skipper in 2007?

I cant see him in our best 22 and I find it hard to see him squeeze into our side unless injuries hit.
    Having said that I still think he has a bit to offer. He played a few handy games last year and supported well when Minson was out.

Post Thanks / Like

It is imperative for him to have a good start this season, he had a couple of injury issues with his foot last season which set him back a bit. If he gets a good start, I think he can be a valuable member to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    I think he can be a valuable member to the team.
    But where does he fit with Street, Minson, Wight, Harris, Grant, Darcy and McDougall all curently available as talls or ruckmen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    How is he looking at training? What is a fair expectation of him this season? Has McDougall shot his chances of a place in the 22?
    Physically he looks terrific and his form has been OK. I have noticed the odd decision making and skill error which has plagued him throughout his career but hopefully he is on the improve. We have invested significant time in him and 2007 is the year he needs to start to repay us.
    I also hope he is capable of offering more to the club that just as a back-up ruckman to Street and Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    I also hope he is capable of offering more to the club that just as a back-up ruckman to Street and Minson.
    You think he's capable of playing a KPP role?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Wayde is one of those in between types, not quite tall enough for the ruck & not mobile enough to play as a REGULAR key forward, however, there are instances during a season when you just don't have the ability to put your best 22 out on the park.

That's where Wayde's value to the team comes in, as a pinch hitter. It's better to have him on the list & perhaps not need him than to not have him on the list & need him, if you follow my drift.

Put simply, he's handy to have, but in my opinion, based on what I have seen, then I think he'll be used to fill gaps should they arise.

I think you can carry 1, maybe 2 talls on your list for this reason, rather than midfielders.

Persoanly tho, I'd love to see him find a position & cement it, gonna be tough for him. He's not alone either. I think it's make or break for a few this year. They REALLY have to show some (significant in some cases) improvement, I'm talking of Wayde, Cam Faulkner, Tim Walsh & Steve Tiller.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Tiller will get at least 1 more year after this season, provided he stays injury free and can play some good football. DMac is another who may struggle to stay on this list.

I think Skip is almost finished. The recruitment of Doogs doesn't do him any favours, and Darcy coming back along with the development of Wight and continued improvment of Minson and Street leave him in a difficult position. He's tough and can play the back-up role, but that is all I really see him doing this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    Tiller will get at least 1 more year after this season, provided he stays injury free and can play some good football. DMac is another who may struggle to stay on this list.

I think Skip is almost finished. The recruitment of Doogs doesn't do him any favours, and Darcy coming back along with the development of Wight and continued improvment of Minson and Street leave him in a difficult position. He's tough and can play the back-up role, but that is all I really see him doing this season.
    I wouldn't be as quick to write him off but he does have a fair bit to prove. 2007 has to be a good season for his.

D-Mac and Faulkner need to step up as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A trainer told me the other day that Skip is the club boxing champion. Maybe the club is trying to get his confidence level up?

FWIW he hasnt put a foot wrong during preseason this summer.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post

Unfortunately i completely agree. I say unfortunate because Skip did have 'potential'. But being honest, he cant ruck, and shouldn't have had to come into the side as a ruckman. With Darcy, Doogs, Wight, Grant, Harris, Minson, Street and pups with potential like Walsh, Tiller, Pask, West & O'Shea - Short term i cant see him making an impact and nor can i long term. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but with the strength of the list being what it is Skip, D-Mac and perhaps Faulkner are staring down the barrel of an unknown 2008.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    with the strength of the list being what it is Skip, D-Mac and perhaps Faulkner are staring down the barrel of an unknown 2008.
    I'd add Walsh to that list.

If we want to promote say 2 rookies and there are two retirements, then we'll need 3 or 4 places for this year's draft.

Post Thanks / Like

If we want to promote say 2 rookies and there are two retirements, then we'll need 3 or 4 places for this year's draft.

Walsh would be on notice as well. Given what I has seen and heard about Harbrow and Hughes we might have to cut into the list even deeper.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is at least five spots.

3 draft picks and 2 rookies elevated or 4 picks and rookie conversely.

Grant and Montgomery retired is 2. If Skip and DMac failed to make significant inroads then perhaps those would make 4, then one of Faulkner or Walsh?

Gee it's getting more cut throat by the year. bad for some individuals, but great for the club and its members (to get the succes that comes from having such a great list.).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

But where does he fit with Street, Minson, Wight, Harris, Grant, Darcy and McDougall all curently available as talls or ruckmen?
    At Werribee. He is a ruckman trapped in a KPP's body. His speed isn't too bad, agility is average to poor and he is not a strong overhead mark.

He is a terrific kick though and seems to have a strong work ethic, but I cannot see him filling any more than a spare parts role.