Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Media's presumption of unhappy players- What is the basis for this conclusion?

I've seen multiple reports in the media this week about unhappiness with some dogs players.

Is this just the poster boy example of what's wrong with the media today, or has some journalist(s) actually got some basis for this? Does anyone here have any insight?

Because based on what Bevo has said, and how the guys seem to be comporting themselves around the team, it just seems to me elements of the media are wanting to invent a story off the back of an otherwise vanilla simple fact that two, long term, best 22 players suddenly have found their position in the team no longer an automatic given.

I would've thought that's exactly what should happen after the year on year issues we keep having. I didn't expect Macrae and Daniel to be the ones in the firing line, but their positions are not lost on a whim. It's clear that right now they're not in the best 22. I don't like that it's Macrae or Daniel, but so be it.

I think the media are taking the fact that Daniel and Macrae have some challenges right now, and are just flat out making a massive leap from there that this therefore must mean they're on the outs or there is "unhappiness in the ranks at the Dogs" or whatever the clickbait headline is.

The fact Barrett is leading this media choir should probably render my original question irrelevant, but there does seem to be an edge of nastiness in the media about us right now that does not seem commensurate to our overall performances.

The absolute gobshite talk about Naughton's "poor performances in 2024" this week..jees its hard to take them serious as serious analysts.

I really hope this galvanises the group.

And Barrett just seems to have two gears. Whack the Dogs or Whack the dogs and Bevo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media's presumption of unhappy players- What is the basis for this conclusion?

We have played one bad game this year, I guess it’s getting under Barrett’s skin.
    Did he even watch Daniel last week ? If we didn’t drop him he would have said Bevo has favourites.
    To be honest the media can twist anything to make a story they are expert spin doctors.
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media's presumption of unhappy players- What is the basis for this conclusion?

They are just chasing clicks. Sensationalism. But the media has been going further and further down this path so it is must be what is actually generating clicks and views. Shock and awe.

We get the journalists we deserve.

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but also feel some commentators who spent the best part of 3 or 4 years predicting the Bulldogs would be right up there, are not happy we've made them look silly by letting them down (and their reputation and ego).. David King I'm lookin' at you.

So now, they're all on their sh1tlist.......and we should trade Smith and English cause this list is going nowhere..........unless of course by Round 18 we're somehow up there.. in which case I expect Kingy, and Whately too, to be 'Oh we've always known this is what they were capable of......'

Post Thanks / Like

In the old days the media reported on stories but now they conspire to try and create them.
    Bevo hasn't been easy for some in the media to deal with so they look for opportunities to deliver some payback.

I'm sure we have some unhappy players, some would be experienced players looking to reestablish themselves back in the side and there would be a couple of younger players lamenting about their lack of opportunities. It's what happens in every competitive sporting environment.
    We just have to knock over the Bombers and then the Saints in the next two games to take the wind out of the media's sails and the talk will then focus on some of our emerging players.

Let the media that their shots, it's wins on the board that will shut them up.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Agree.

Also. Some of them are barracking for the story. They can see Bevo is on the ropes if we have a bad year and they would love to contribue to that story arc. They don't just want it. They are lusting after it. They dream about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not read or listened to anything by Barrett, Korn or Caro. I've had a really positive week.

10. Likes chef, cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish the media does a story on our new players: Bramble , Gallagher and Sanders. They are the good stories. Even Buku, where his come from , especially as a refugee, now that is a great story. I can relate as I come from a refugee background. People have no fff idea how hard it is. Your not coming back from 2 steps back, but challenge people to change there stereo types.

Its a team sport, there are always competition for spots. Stupid, sensationalist media always dwelling on negatives.

Its clear to my limited knowledge of tactics and coaching, the game style has changed. There is great demand on speed, quick transition and defense when not having the ball. You cannot miss this whole team effort that is so physically demanding. Of course there be players who miss out, as there are 22 spots . So its a good problem to have.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you only see what the club sees fit to release, but the videos of the boys interacting and with Bevo out front seem to show a great spirit amongst them.

Media will media though.

14. Likes macca, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The media don’t point out that we have a good list and it’s a good thing we can drop players … no they write it the negative way.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Agree.

Also. Some of them are barracking for the story. They can see Bevo is on the ropes if we have a bad year and they would love to contribue to that story arc. They don't just want it. They are lusting after it. They dream about it.
    It's so obvious in their carry on.

A guy has two seasons on the positive side of the ledger after a grand final appearance and they carry on as if the best team in the competition is losing week after week.

All because the shit stains aren't relevant to the coach or the club.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In the old days the media reported on stories but now they conspire to try and create them.
    Bevo hasn't been easy for some in the media to deal with so they look for opportunities to deliver some payback.

I'm sure we have some unhappy players, some would be experienced players looking to reestablish themselves back in the side and there would be a couple of younger players lamenting about their lack of opportunities. It's what happens in every competitive sporting environment.
    We just have to knock over the Bombers and then the Saints in the next two games to take the wind out of the media's sails and the talk will then focus on some of our emerging players.

Let the media that their shots, it's wins on the board that will shut them up.
    Easier said than done! I think that yes they do conspire to create stories (the whole Brisbance off-season thing or the Swans issue with player unrest over who was shagging who), but we have let ourselves and supporters down over the last 3 years. We should on paper cream the Bombers and Saints, but I bet we don't. It feeds the narrative.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a couple who tell me they're happy.

I'm more than a little confident they wont all be.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 23rd bloke picked would be pretty happy. The first bloke to miss probably think the MC are idiots.

There might be more of an issue if the best players stuck at VFL level right now were happy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Media will have a field day this week. We will be the story all weekend and all week.