Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  213
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He may be. But addressing the argument and not the man. What’s his argument’s fatal flaws?
    They are very different players. Not sure he's comparing apples w apples.

Can guarantee you other clubs would pay Marra more.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marra 197cm v Henry 189cm

Matches 49 v 51
    Dispsoals 9.9 v 9.4
    Marks 4.5 v 3.6
    Goals 1.3 v 1.5
    Behinds 1.2 v 0.9

Post Thanks / Like

Very different players. Marra has qualities and upside that Henry doesn't have. In particular that abililty to mark the ball in a pack and on the lead at the high point that looks so dangerous.

But he does have a point. It is still on potential, not on what each player has actually produced so far. Agree, clubs would all pay more for Marra, but they would be doing that on potential. Not on actual results.

Post Thanks / Like

Robbo has a point but in saying that, Henry doesn't get the number 1 or 2 defender each week where's Marra does especially now with Naughton playing up the ground, Henry get's protected from 2 of the best most experienced power forwards in the game, Naughton would only be starting to enter his prime, the Geelong pair have been living there for years so Jamarra doesn't have that luxury.

The point on wages, Henry was basically gifted from the Pies so Geelong aren't pressured what so ever to offer Henry huge money or long term deals where's with Naughton, other clubs were willing to offer Millions over 10 years or so if those reports were true about Swans and West Coast, as Robbo states other clubs are willing to offer a similar deal to Jamarra putting pressure on our club to show him the money basically, it kind of ties our hands to some extent, there is no even playing field there with the comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like

What does Robbo argue if we take potential out of it, only offer JUH $650K, and lose him?

He writes articles stating we're dickheads for not ponying up the cash required to keep someone who could be a generational talent.

Big guys take time, JUH is a big guy, Henry is a medium.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What does Robbo argue if we take potential out of it, only offer JUH $650K, and lose him?

He writes articles stating we're dickheads for not ponying up the cash required to keep someone who could be a generational talent.

Agree with all of that.

However, the market has shifted in the last few years. I don't recall you having to pay large wages for players who had the potential to be a generational talent. You paid for players who showed they were a generational talent. The market has moved, clubs are willing to make riskier moves to steal talent away from other clubs. We have to move with the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugle-Hagan's upwards trajectory is far more assured than was Tom Boyd's, and it's not us but other suitors that are driving the price of his signature, so it's an unfair comparison. He's not just a promising young player but seemingly a good young person. Happy to back him in with a long term deal on good money.

However we should be talking about Jamarra's poor start to the year. After being close to our best in a bad team outing in Round 1, he's really struggled. Bevo bemoaned the quality of his game not being there and that's exactly right. Grubber kicks into the forward line, poor/selfish decisions (kick at goal on non-preferred instead of hitting up Naughton at the top of the square??) and fumbles. He just looks to me like he's trying to do too much and needs to go back to the basics, as he did to some extent in the last quarter against Geelong.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s such a bad faith argument it’s not even worth engaging with.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Can guarantee you other clubs would pay Marra more.
    Agree with this, not to mention the fact that Henry is a third and sometimes 4th tall and has 2 Coleman medalists next to him. Marra gets the no1 or 2 defender every week now.
    Last edited by kickit2Koly; 07-04-2024 at 11:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Spot on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

The scathing remarks he made about our club when we went after Tom Boyd, are unforgivable.

I am actually pissed off about the talk on what a player is worth and why they are paid certain amounts etc etc, A talented players salary is worth what the market will pay.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He may be. But addressing the argument and not the man. What?s his argument?s fatal flaws?
    There are none.

But whatcha gonna do? We have to pay the price to keep Jamarra because he's one of us.

You can go all moneyball all the time if you like but footy is also about passion and emotion - JUH is one of us and we have watched him grow.

To say that I don't care about how much Henry get's paid or how many goals he kicks is an understatement.

Does any part of my post make sense? Of course not...but we NEED to re-sign Jamarra.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There are none.

But whatcha gonna do? We have to pay the price to keep Jamarra because he's one of us.

You can go all moneyball all the time if you like but footy is also about passion and emotion - JUH is one of us and we have watched him grow.

To say that I don't care about how much Henry get's paid or how many goals he kicks is an understatement.

Does any part of my post make sense? Of course not...but we NEED to re-sign Jamarra.
    I agree, he’s my number one target to re-sign. I was interested more in picking a part the argument made than just to call him names. Realistically, if he signs on for two years at $1M accounting for the cap rises it’s much like the deal Shai Bolton did when he got huge offers to leave. He backed himself in to perform for two more years and drive his price up while being happy at his club. The discussion with Marra needs to be his goal kicking. If he could just tidy that up they’d be less opportunity for articles like this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He hasn't seemed to be moving as fluidly the last couple of weeks. It feels like he's carrying something, and it looks to be hampering him. I wonder if bringing in Lobb for Marra for a week is an option, to freshen him up.

I was really expecting a breakout season from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There are none.

And this is exactly why Marra needs to pull his head in. He's been at the club a long time, we've nurtured him and he has deep roots so the morally right decision here needs to be an arrangement that is mutually beneficial for club and player. Surely he needs to understand that accepting a reasonable offer to stay helps us financially as a club and gives us the best chance of player retention across the list.

We can't have four or five blokes on a million a season, no team can regardless how much the market has shifted. Sign for two years and if he delivers pay him his 1.2 million.

We'll need to be ensuring Sam Darcy stays at the club long term imo. He's the last Skywalker.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.