Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  228
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to the Western Bulldogs

Love Marra but it's starting to look like last years yips aren't an abberation. Going at 33% again this year. Really needs to improve to at LEAST 50% going forward.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    He hasn't seemed to be moving as fluidly the last couple of weeks. It feels like he's carrying something, and it looks to be hampering him. I wonder if bringing in Lobb for Marra for a week is an option, to freshen him up.

I was really expecting a breakout season from him.
    Was it this week that Bevo said Marra was 50/50 to play? Might not be 100% but also he has to get used to playing at not 100% long term and working through that.

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Was it this week that Bevo said Marra was 50/50 to play? Might not be 100% but also he has to get used to playing at not 100% long term and working through that.
    Forget what Beveridge says... GVGjr was the first to bring it to our attention that Marra was carrying something in his amazing training reports (which 100% was prior to when Bevo put it on the record)
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Love Marra but it's starting to look like last years yips aren't an abberation. Going at 33% again this year. Really needs to improve to at LEAST 50% going forward.
    Fourth worst shot for goal in the competition at the moment going by expected score.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Fourth worst shot for goal in the competition at the moment going by expected score.
    That actually surprised me, I think he is a good set shot, I think it’s the fact he misses from long distance and Angle,
    If directly in front or close I would back him ahead of Naughton.
    Weightman would be our best though I imagine from all different angles and distance. Darcy has also looked reliable early in his career.
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That actually surprised me, I think he is a good set shot, I think it’s the fact he misses from long distance and Angle,
    Weightman would be our best though I imagine from all different angles and distance. Darcy has also looked reliable early in his career.
    Yes Cody is the rated the fourth best shot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Agree with this, a lot of his shots I suspect are low percentage/higher difficulty. He does have that laid back action which looks bad when he misses too.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Agree with this, a lot of his shots I suspect are low percentage/higher difficulty. He does have that laid back action which looks bad when he misses too.
    Expected score takes into account the difficulty of the shot, so even given this he's not scoring as well as he should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Love Marra but it's starting to look like last years yips aren't an aberration. Going at 33% again this year. Really needs to improve to at LEAST 50% going forward.
    2021 ave 1.4 goals per game. 2022 ave 1.1, 2023 ave 1.5. 2024 to date ave 1.5. 2023 included 2 games of 5 goals and 1 of 4 goals, best year. The stats suggest that last year's yips were not an aberration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He may be. But addressing the argument and not the man. What?s his argument?s fatal flaws?
    The argument is comparing Marra - now copping the no 1 stay at home defender from the opposition - with a hybrid who would be behind Hawkins, Cameron, Miers (best HF in the comp) and Stengle (an outstanding small forward) on the pecking order of who an opposition coach would be looking to stop.

There's a reason the bulldogs aren't the only club lining up a 7 figure deal to keep Marra. Henry is icing, Marra is cake.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There's a reason the bulldogs aren't the only club lining up a 7 figure deal to keep Marra. Henry is icing, Marra is cake.
    All the more reason he needs to be 'the man' (something he looks very comfortable being) and nail the key moments. He fluffed 2 of them in succession early in the last qtr when we were pressing hard - both were not too difficult for an AFL quality player. Geelong then went coast to coast and goaled which gave them a 4 goal buffer which they needed every bit of in the end.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    All the more reason he needs to be 'the man' (something he looks very comfortable being) and nail the key moments. He fluffed 2 of them in succession early in the last qtr when we were pressing hard - both were not too difficult for an AFL quality player. Geelong then went coast to coast and goaled which gave them a 4 goal buffer which they needed every bit of in the end.
    The one grab Marks he is taking in packs and even on the lead are bloody good, I wonder if it’s a fitness thing when he goes for goal, he moves around a lot and a lot of second and third efforts. He looks stuffed a lot when he has taken a mark. He definitely takes his time when having a shot to get his breath back.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    And this is exactly why Marra needs to pull his head in. He's been at the club a long time, we've nurtured him and he has deep roots so the morally right decision here needs to be an arrangement that is mutually beneficial for club and player. Surely he needs to understand that accepting a reasonable offer to stay helps us financially as a club and gives us the best chance of player retention across the list.

We can't have four or five blokes on a million a season, no team can regardless how much the market has shifted. Sign for two years and if he delivers pay him his 1.2 million.

We'll need to be ensuring Sam Darcy stays at the club long term imo. He's the last Skywalker.
    Why can't we?

The problem isn't the money or the players...the problem is always giving the money to the WRONG players!!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    And this is exactly why Marra needs to pull his head in. He's been at the club a long time, we've nurtured him and he has deep roots so the morally right decision here needs to be an arrangement that is mutually beneficial for club and player. Surely he needs to understand that accepting a reasonable offer to stay helps us financially as a club and gives us the best chance of player retention across the list.

We can't have four or five blokes on a million a season, no team can regardless how much the market has shifted. Sign for two years and if he delivers pay him his 1.2 million.

We'll need to be ensuring Sam Darcy stays at the club long term imo. He's the last Skywalker.
    12.4m in 2022 to 17.5m in 2025. The massive TPP increase means most club next year will probably have a few $1m+ players
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    12.4m in 2022 to 17.5m in 2025. The massive TPP increase means most club next year will probably have a few $1m+ players
    I'm hoping that the AFL also increases the list sizes for clubs at the end of the 2025 season. Two more players per team before the Devils come on board will get some more AFL ready players available.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"