Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  183
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to the Western Bulldogs

Not sure if this has been shared - Adelaides behind the scenes war room on draft prep. Interesting commentary on the decision to select Jamarra:

https://twitter.com/Adelaide_FC/stat...701522945?s=08

2. Thanks Grantysghost, Doc26, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Not sure if this has been shared - Adelaides behind the scenes war room on draft prep. Interesting commentary on the decision to select Jamarra:

Cut.

OK guys the spin is done let's talk reality

Bryce Gibbs.. How do we get him back in....

I accidentally read the comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

And this is what annoys me, the decision to bid on JUH wasn't about nabbing him, but tactically screwing us and our remaining picks. The intent of introducing bidding was to ensure clubs didnt just get top flight talent tied to them through F/S or NGA for peanuts, not to
    use as a tactic to increase your club's leverage later in the draft.
    They said in the meeting they rated Thilthorpe as number 1. Good, pick him at 1 then. To do otherwise is manifestly tampering.
    Anyway, stuff them. I hope JUH posterises their defenders for years to come.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And this is what annoys me, the decision to bid on JUH wasn't about nabbing him, but tactically screwing us and our remaining picks. The intent of introducing bidding was to ensure clubs didnt just get top flight talent tied to them through F/S or NGA for peanuts, not to
    They said in the meeting they rated Thilthorpe as number 1. Good, pick him at 1 then. To do otherwise is manifestly tampering.
    I just saw it as cleverly edited spin for their fans tbh.
    Did we ever intend to get Rowe? I don't recall his name being mentioned but I've got a bad memory.

It's certainly competitive behaviour.

They're going so insular it could back fire. A team of South Australians exclusively.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    We got access to the best talent in the land and used picks in the 30s and 40s to get him. It's an absolute rort that we thankfully benefited from. I don't begrudge any side from tactically bidding to increase their own position throughout the draft order.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah heaps of clubs can rightfully get annoyed about the NGA system but literally none of the clubs that received a player through it have been hard done by at all.

Good on Adelaide for keeping us accountable. We still made out like bandits.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah heaps of clubs can rightfully get annoyed about the NGA system but literally none of the clubs that received a player through it have been hard done by at all.

Good on Adelaide for keeping us accountable. We still made out like bandits.
    I was confident Adelaide would do this weeks ago, when it was clear they were going to finish last. I'm not bemoaning we were ripped off either. I'm just highlighting an unintended consequence of the bidding process between its intent and its application. Their bid wasn't about making us accountable, it was about leveraging the outcome of a bid they knew we would match, for a result that had nothing to do with their desire to take JUH at pick 1.
    Yep good on them, smart tactical move, but again like most AFL rules they end up having outcomes that don't match the intent.

Good on our recruiting team in making sure we had enough draft capital to secure him taking into account a potential pick 1 bid.

10. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I just saw it as cleverly edited spin for their fans tbh.
    Did we ever intend to get Rowe? I don't recall his name being mentioned but I've got a bad memory.

It's certainly competitive behaviour.

They're going so insular it could back fire. A team of South Australians exclusively.
    We were linked to Rowe in at least 1 phantom draft.

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even with a bid at pick 2 or 3, it would have brought us up to a pick in the mid-late 40s. Rowe was picked at 38.

Impossible to know who or what we would have done later in the draft, so this is also probably some cope from Adelaide to justify to their fans why they bid.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We were linked to Rowe in at least 1 phantom draft.
    Right. So the plan might have been to bundle up some picks and move up to a spot before the Crows if true. It's a fascinating process the current draft. I quite enjoy all the machinations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Even with a bid at pick 2 or 3, it would have brought us up to a pick in the mid-late 40s. Rowe was picked at 38.

Impossible to know who or what we would have done later in the draft, so this is also probably some cope from Adelaide to justify to their fans why they bid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Right. So the plan might have been to bundle up some picks and move up to a spot before the Crows if true. It's a fascinating process the current draft. I quite enjoy all the machinations.
    As Granty says the Crows mention in the video that we may have been able to bundle a couple of picks to jump ahead of them and grab Rowe. So many mind games and trying to predict what other teams may do. Must be a stressful process.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm rapt they did bid at 1. Front page of the HUN, on all the primetime radio shows, TV interviews. Our sponsors are front and centre. Our commercial staff will be loving it.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Takes the pressure & focus off Thilthorpe (and the decision to draft him)
    Will he will always remembered as the one who wasn't the first choice of the Cows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Thank you crows for confirming that you didn't get the best player available in the draft!! Smart marketing? We positioned ourselves well for this and boom we have the lime light.

Welcome JUH, so happy to have you onboard!!
    Yes. Was worth the extra points we had to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Replacing Mercedes Benz as a Sponsor would help too.
    Might be Peter's last hoorah.