Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  93
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome Dominic Bedendo to the Western Bulldogs

season 1

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Season 2

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks Smads57, SquirrelGrip, BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Dom in his first game.

Western Bulldogs utility Dom Bedendo will make his AFL debut on Thursday night against Brisbane.It is a welcomed reward for the 19-year-old, who has put in a mountain of work with Footscray in the VFL to ready himself for a senior opportunity.

From his nine state-league matches this year, he has slotted six goals while averaging 14 disposals, five marks and two tackles, with development manager Jamie Maddocks breaking the news to the playing group after their Tuesday morning training session.

"I can't really explain how I'm feeling - I'm just buzzing. I can't fathom what's happening right now, but can't wait," Bedendo said.

"The longer I've waited the more I've wanted it, so now that it's finally happening it's just pure joy. I've been improving while working on the things I need to work on, so the VFL program and all the coaches there have helped me so much.

"I love the boys here - there isn't a better feeling at the moment. I'm just so grateful for the opportunity."

Known for his aerial and contested marking, athleticism and endurance, the Myrtleford teenager has the ability to play on the wing or up forward.

Bedendo was selected with pick 55 in the 2020 National Draft from the Murray Bushrangers.

He becomes the Bulldogs’ third debutant in 2022, joining Luke Cleary and Robbie McComb.

Bedendo is fresh off signing a new contract to keep him at VU Whitten Oval until at least the end of the 2023 season.

5. Likes Eastdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the call he made to his mother, she took a bit of convincing
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I saw the call he made to his mother, she took a bit of convincing
    sere here

9. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really pleased to see him get a gig - he will bring enthusiasm and athleticism to the bigger AFL stage that's for sure!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

11. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Really pleased to see him get a gig - he will bring enthusiasm and athleticism to the bigger AFL stage that's for sure!
    Where do you see him playing Smads57

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Dom!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific news. Seen him play in the VFL looks very promising. Go well son.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Where do you see him playing Smads57
    In the VFL last season Dom played mostly on the HF line and was in and out of the game which is (generally) what happens to players in that role. What I did like about his play last year was his ability to kick goals when in the right position and being a good overhead mark (with a full extension).

This year, his move to the wing has seen him more involved in the each game he has played. If you compare his first VFL game this year to his two most recent VFL games, you can see the progression in his ball play - now having the belief to demand the ball in his role as an 'outside' player and still kicking goals (a la JJ).

Logically then, he plays on a wing this week (however does this mean McComb is dropped and Hunter spends another week in the twos?)

I don't see him replacing Richards at HB as in my opinion, Dom doesn't have the defensive traits that position warrants (but i'm not Bevo!).

The only concern I have with him (and I have mentioned this in a VFL thread) is his tendency, when he 'plays on' (which he likes doing), to just 'kick the ball to a contest' and potentially turn over the ball. You can almost see his hesitation when he steps past his marker, as to where he should place his kick.

I'm pleased to see him get a chance this week - I'll maintain he has early signs of being a Jeremy Howe clone.

NB - hoping that last statement doesn't place a mozz on the kid!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

16. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog4life, azabob, SquirrelGrip, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    In the VFL last season Dom played mostly on the HF line and was in and out of the game which is (generally) what happens to players in that role. What I did like about his play last year was his ability to kick goals when in the right position and being a good overhead mark (with a full extension).

This year, his move to the wing has seen him more involved in the each game he has played. If you compare his first VFL game this year to his two most recent VFL games, you can see the progression in his ball play - now having the belief to demand the ball in his role as an 'outside' player and still kicking goals (a la JJ).

Logically then, he plays on a wing this week (however does this mean McComb is dropped and Hunter spends another week in the twos?)

I don't see him replacing Richards at HB as in my opinion, Dom doesn't have the defensive traits that position warrants (but i'm not Bevo!).

The only concern I have with him (and I have mentioned this in a VFL thread) is his tendency, when he 'plays on' (which he likes doing), to just 'kick the ball to a contest' and potentially turn over the ball. You can almost see his hesitation when he steps past his marker, as to where he should place his kick.

I'm pleased to see him get a chance this week - I'll maintain he has early signs of being a Jeremy Howe clone.

NB - hoping that last statement doesn't place a mozz on the kid!
    Funny you say that Smads I read he was going to play as an intercept defender for the Murray Bushrangers before the 2020 season was called off.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Dom. Enjoyed watching your silky form in VFL. All the best with your debut.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you hear the drums Bedendo
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Seems his nickname is Bender (as in 3 day bender).

Go well young man.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...