Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Western bulldogs defend next generation academy system

link

Western Bulldogs National Recruiting Manager Dom Milesi says Next Generation Academies have served their purpose across the competition.

The Bulldogs were able to successfully match Adelaide’s bid for NGA prospect Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with the No.1 pick in the 2020 AFL Draft.

Ugle-Hagan is the last of his kind after the AFL altered the NGA rules so bids for priority access players inside the top 20 can’t be matched from next year.

“I understand where the AFL are coming from in terms of wanting to preserve the draft, particularly at the top end,” Milesi told SEN Mornings.

“But I think at the same time the Next Generation Academies have done a lot of really good work, not just with the Bulldogs, but across the competition.

“I think we’ve still got to try and promote those avenues for players from different backgrounds to give them more opportunities, so I think it’s about striking that balance going forward where we’re still giving those players that are new to the sport an opportunity to get into the system.”

Will the Dogs continue to invest in their Next Generation Academy in light of the AFL’s decision to ban bids on top NGA prospects?

“I can’t speak for every other club, but I know from our point of view we’re still very keen to invest in our regions with both the Rebels and the Western Jets,” Milesi said.

“I think we’ll still invest. To me, it’s all about giving players the chance and they might not up at your club, but hopefully they still go on and have a good AFL career.

“But if they do end up at the Western Bulldogs, that’s a bonus as well.”

Ugle-Hagan, 18, has been likened to Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and is the first Indigenous player to go at pick No.1 since Des Headland in 1998.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western bulldogs defend next generation academy system

Lucky we got in just in time before they change the rules.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great title...

Like one of 18 member club needs to defend something they have absolutely no control over, being the AFEL's structures, laws and systems.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was the club I wouldn't be investing in players that will end up at the GWS or Suns (The AFL will make it happen). I would send those resources to our VFL and VFLW teams and give players a chance that way.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    If I was the club I wouldn't be investing in players that will end up at the GWS or Suns (The AFL will make it happen). I would send those resources to our VFL and VFLW teams and give players a chance that way.
    Could t agree more. It’s got to be about us not about what the AFL want.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Great title...

Like one of 18 member club needs to defend something they have absolutely no control over, being the AFEL's structures, laws and systems.
    It is actually up to the AFL to defend the system and it is JUST BEAUTIFUL that they have decided it is unfair because it is the Bulldogs that have had the best advantage.

They always change rules to negate us, but this one came to late.

Do you remember the Luke Darcy rule (repealed for 2020 season) to stop ruckman taking clean possession

The Marcus Bontempelli (or Bulldogs 2016) third man up rule that has provided the additional congestion that the AFL will invent 5000 other rules to try to open up the game.

So hoping that this no discount in 1st round rule hangs around until Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon/Carlton miss a player because of it, while Marra becomes a multiple premiership player in the RWB
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It is actually up to the AFL to defend the system and it is JUST BEAUTIFUL that they have decided it is unfair because it is the Bulldogs that have had the best advantage.

They always change rules to negate us, but this one came to late.

Do you remember the Luke Darcy rule (repealed for 2020 season) to stop ruckman taking clean possession

The Marcus Bontempelli (or Bulldogs 2016) third man up rule that has provided the additional congestion that the AFL will invent 5000 other rules to try to open up the game.

So hoping that this no discount in 1st round rule hangs around until Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon/Carlton miss a player because of it, while Marra becomes a multiple premiership player in the RWB
    It's all part of the collective balls project I've been whiteboarding.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This must be how Geelong felt when the AFEL changed the F/S rule from a third round pick to the bidding system the year after they picked their 35th F/S player over the previous four years.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I disagree but only if all clubs continue with their academies. Like swings and roundabouts there will be a time when we pick up one of their players. I agree with what Dom said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I disagree but only if all clubs continue with their academies. Like swings and roundabouts there will be a time when we pick up one of their players. I agree with what Dom said.
    Fair enough but I'm old and cynical and all I see if you put the work in the powerhouses or the prop up clubs will reap the rewards through manipulation of some sort.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Annoys me to hear Ross Lyon and Old Wilson carry on about the academy picks. What did we have to give up to get him!!! a ton of picks.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The NGA was never a problem until we got a really good kid out of it, now it's the worst thing to happen in 2020.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Annoys me to hear Ross Lyon and Old Wilson carry on about the academy picks. What did we have to give up to get him!!! a ton of picks.
    Where did you see Caroline Wilson complain?
    More of an In Bruges guy?