Like many after a glorious and unprecedented Premiership win in 2016 I was looking forward, realistically bearing in mind our age profile, to a period of sustained campaigns that would result in even more success. How quickly those hopes were dashed in the following two seasons.
The last two years have seen a largely re-vamped team make the 8 only to be unceremoniously eliminated after Week 1. In both seasons it took a considerable late season surge to make the eight and some excellent football was played along the way. For example our win over West Coast in a crunch game near season's end this year. And don't forget we obliterated GWS late in 2019 and they went on to play in the Grand Final.
Yes, they did smash us in the Elimination Final and I really blame a lack of foresight played a large part in our abysmal performance in that match. We must NEVER let that happen again.

So why the optimism? We are down to 10 of our 2016 heroes - 9 of whom I consider to be best 22. That leaves spots up for grabs which can only be healthy. Of course of those 13 spots some players have a got a mortgage on one - English, Keath, Williams, Wallis, Crozier, Vandermeer, Treloar, Naughton, Smith and Martin. So that leaves 3 spots up for grabs. Healthy competition is good. It makes for hungry footballers who cannot afford to coast.

So, the optimism again? Well, for a start, we have taken steps to address our glaring ruck problem. Martin to share the duties with English. English to become a forward threat when having a spell. Our decision to trade Roughead was a big mistake in hindsight. English would be far more advanced if had been playing alongside Roughhead these last two seasons.

Other factors? JUH. This kid could be anything but let's not put too much pressure on him. He could play midfield or forward, or as a permanent wingman with a licence to run up and down the ground.

Josh Bruce? He has a LOT to prove so I am expecting him to put in a big pre season and come out firing.

Schache? A real talent who has yet to deliver consistently. I would love to see him succeed. He knows thay this year is a crunch year for him.

Naughton. He needs a full pre-season and hopefully will get it. Will be a big presence wherever he plays.

Lin Jong. Will be desperate to get into the 22 and cement his place in the team. He was playing very well in 2016. Tough and pacy he can play midfield and he can go forward and take a mark as well

Rhylee West. Can play the role Clay Smith played and boy do we need that. Hard edge, uncompromising and can kick a goal.

Vandermeer. Blistering pace and skillful. Not afraid to take the game on

Lewis Young. This young guy has to realise his potential in 2021. His great debut turned into a bad dream. He is a talent and I expect him to be busting his gut to prove it.

Bailey Dale. Is a very talented player but he needs to develop the defensive side of his game. He is on notice.

Bailey Smith. A gun who will take another step next year to establish himself as a top shelf midfielder.

Mitch Hannon. A handy acquisition now that Dicko has retired. A definite chance to grab a spot from Lloyd.

Add to the above we will see players benefit from the extra year of experience, extra size and strenght and heightened desire - it's no fun being dumped out of the Finals after Week 1 two years in a row.

So, I am expecting to field a taller, quicker, more balanced and hungrier Bulldog team in 2021.