Link

The small snapshot of what Cody Weightman brought to the table in 2020 was enough to get Western Bulldogs supporters excited about the future.

And the 19-year-old has his sights set on trying to break into the AFL team on a more permanent basis next year.

Weightman joined the Bulldogs with pick 15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft, playing three games in his debut season and kicking an incredible check-side goal with his first touch in senior football.

The motivated teenager has been back at pre-season training for the past two weeks with the Bulldogs’ first-to-fourth year crew, looking for areas to improve his game.

With the likes of Weightman, Aaron Naughton and number one draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan coming through the ranks, the Bulldogs boast some talented, young forward prospects.

“I want to be a small forward, I want to make that my craft and what I do for – hopefully - the next 10-plus years,” Weightman told 3AW Sportsday.

“That’s something I’m working really hard on at the moment. I want to master my craft as a forward and see where that can take me.

“I’ve changed my ways a little bit in recent years, where I used to be very goal-driven and have performance goals and things I’d like to achieve.

“I’ve broken it up more to weekly goals and things I want to achieve weekly to make sure I have a real specific focus on the process, without too much focus on the end goal.

“That’s something that’s already helped me this pre-season compared to last year.”