Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Third Test Australia v India - January 7th to 11th - SCG (at this stage)

If suggesting that someone's team mates don't like him and that he is a dickhead is beyond the line then yes. I'd be amazed though if this was the nastiest thing said during the test from both sides.......though maybe the game has become more sanitised than I though.

I'd be happy enough for the stump mics to be turned off.......but you know, apparently it's entertaining to listen to banal chatter in between deliveries.
    Last edited by jeemak; 13-01-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the actual sledge crossed the line, I think Paine just came across as a petty douchenugget.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The sledging is whatever, but its just another example of the diversionary tactics employed to keep the public from noticing that we continue to go out of our way to pick a guy who is clearly not international standard to be the captain for some reason?

Drops three catches? Never mind its his *leadership* thatís let us down, and no one is madder than Paine. What a leader.

Fails with the bat again? Burnt another review on a clear non-wicket? How about some fín consistency with the DRS!

Has India 5 for -200 with an injured guy at the crease? Better put in a deep point and fine leg. Tactical brilliance yet again from the guy who thought 5 guys on the fence with one wicket to get against England would help us win the Ashes.

Iím so over it. He has to go.
    - RIP Goldstein for 2021 First - 2020-2020 -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So what's the thoughts of the Tim Paines sledging? Did he cross the line?
    No way, it has all been pretty tame since he took over as captain.

Not sure why all the hate towards Tim. He was touted as a future leader some ten years ago and I think he has done a great job.

As for his keeping, just look at the numbers and you will find he is up there with the best. Yes he dropped a couple this test, happens to the best.

Top 6 in Australian test History

Player Span Tests Catches Stumpings Total
    dismissals per test
    Adam Gilchrist 1999–2008 96 379 37 416 4.33
    Ian Healy 1988–1999 119 366 29 395 3.32
    Rod Marsh 1970–1984 96 343 12 355 3.70
    Brad Haddin 2008–2015 66 262 10 270 4.09
    Wally Grout 1957–1966 51 163 24 187 3.67
    Tim Paine 2010–present 33 144 7 151 4.58
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The sledging is whatever, but its just another example of the diversionary tactics employed to keep the public from noticing that we continue to go out of our way to pick a guy who is clearly not international standard to be the captain for some reason?

Drops three catches? Never mind its his *leadership* that’s let us down, and no one is madder than Paine. What a leader.

Fails with the bat again? Burnt another review on a clear non-wicket? How about some f’n consistency with the DRS!

Has India 5 for -200 with an injured guy at the crease? Better put in a deep point and fine leg. Tactical brilliance yet again from the guy who thought 5 guys on the fence with one wicket to get against England would help us win the Ashes.

I’m so over it. He has to go.
    Never scored a hundred in 34 Tests. His keeping just isn't good enough to make up for the fact that he is very average with the bat and given how fragile our top 6 are (aside from Smith and Marnus), we need more batting class from our keeper.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If suggesting that someone's team mates don't like him and that he is a dickhead is beyond the line then yes. I'd be amazed though if this was the nastiest thing said during the test from both sides.......though maybe the game has become more sanitised than I though.

I'd be happy enough for the stump mics to be turned off.......but you know, apparently it's entertaining to listen to banal chatter in between deliveries.
    That's the reason why I asked the question as I don't quite see what prompted his apology
    "There are Sharks and Minnows in this World and if you don't know which one you are then you aint a Shark"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised Twodogs hasn't been talking about the catching misses by both sides and the run out by India
    It could have made a huge difference to the result

Remarkable the way India defied us and I think they will go into the next game with some ascendancy despite a growing injury list
    I've always held that the keeper sets the fielding standards for the team. If the wicketkeeper can't do his job then the whole team's fielding tends to be below par.

Am I surprised that we dropped so many catches yesterday with Tim Paine wearing the gloves? Not really, no.

Paine is a very conservative reactive captain too. His field settings, especially late in the day, were very poor. They were not really saving runs and neither were enough men in catching positions. Overall he's done a pretty meh job this series, for my money he has run out of credits.
    Bright eyed and bushy tailed at least for another hour

Post Thanks / Like

That's the reason why I asked the question as I don't quite see what prompted his apology
    I would suggest the mollycoddling of the BCCI in lieu of them doing us a massive favour by going to Brisbane has something to do with the initial sledge and the subsequent apology.

The racism issues at the ground wouldn't have helped either.

Not even this current Australian cricket team and management is into the level of self-masochism being displayed all by itself in this instance, there's definitely something behind it and the fact Paine forced himself into referring to him in the third person probably backs that up. Cracking performance.