Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Treloar poses questions about Bulldogs’ midfield mix

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He could get himself into the gym and work his arse off to get stronger first.
    Well judging by that one photo at the pool he has put the weight on already, just not sure it's making him stronger at this point.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    An option is to drop Bruce, put English at CHF and Schache at FF.

Young is my preference for CHB but, as 2020 proved, Bruce is undropable.
    I can't see dropping Bruce given form was never a criteria for him in 2020.
    I do remain confident that we will improve this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree with this - especially those inboard left foot kicks, they are a thing of beauty.

I think Cordy needs to reinvent himself or he's done. He's fortunate we have essentially no key backs aside from Keath who are quality because he wouldn't get a game in a large majority of sides as a defender.

I liked him as a forward, but hard to see a spot for him with Bruce, Naughty, Marra and Schache. Also worth noting while he did some nice things forward at times, we forget Grundy took about 15 marks in the Grand Final on him.

For mine, Cordy should be a depth player in 2021.
    Who did Grundy take 15 marks on?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Who did Grundy take 15 marks on?
    Heath Grundy .took 9 marks, only one Sydney player took more.

But Cordy still finished with 11 possessions and a great goal- not a bad outing for someone with less than a dozen games and against the best team in the competition (according to the experts)

6. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy also had some very important moments up forward in the prelim (not least that glorious knee to Cal Ward's chops). Not sure why we haven't tried him there more since then.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cordy also had some very important moments up forward in the prelim (not least that glorious knee to Cal Ward's chops). Not sure why we haven't tried him there more since then.
    Cordy has only really played as a defensive forward and I am dead against having a tall forward - one of your most attacking players on the field - playing primarily a negative role.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't see dropping Bruce given form was never a criteria for him in 2020.
    I do remain confident that we will improve this year
    Bruce was poor - but so was virtually every other KPF in the competition last year, bar Hawkins, Dixon, Kennedy and Lynch.
    He went at half a goal per game (taking out the 6 goal effort against North) - but weirdly, his workrate over the last month was much better and I think it bodes well for improvement in 2021.

He has two players vying for his role as the 'no 1 KPF and not get outmarked' - Naughton who we want to release a little higher up the ground, and English. Naughton plays anyway and English will play more first ruck than we expect as I have no faith in Stef Martin to play week in, week out at age 34.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bruce was poor - but so was virtually every other KPF in the competition last year, bar Hawkins, Dixon, Kennedy and Lynch.
    He went at half a goal per game (taking out the 6 goal effort against North) - but weirdly, his workrate over the last month was much better and I think it bodes well for improvement in 2021.

He has two players vying for his role as the 'no 1 KPF and not get outmarked' - Naughton who we want to release a little higher up the ground, and English. Naughton plays anyway and English will play more first ruck than we expect as I have no faith in Stef Martin to play week in, week out at age 34.
    Bruce was given more opportunities than any failed full forward in history. A large proportion of his limited possessions was when he was playing up the ground, not doing what he was recruited for. How many chances does he get in 2021? If he hasn’t averaged 1 goal per game by August someone else must be given an opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce was given more opportunities than any failed full forward in history. A large proportion of his limited possessions was when he was playing up the ground, not doing what he was recruited for. How many chances does he get in 2021? If he hasn’t averaged 1 goal per game by August someone else must be given an opportunity.
    If Naughton and/or Martin is fit (allowing up to push English forward) we may have other options, we just didn't have other options in 2020. I don't see English as a long term no 1 forward option either so if it does happen I hope it's short lived. I expect JUH will take time so not planning on him being a legitimate no 1 or no 2 option in 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

If Naughton and/or Martin is fit (allowing up to push English forward) we may have other options, we just didn't have other options in 2020. I don't see English as a long term no 1 forward option either so if it does happen I hope it's short lived. I expect JUH will take time so not planning on him being a legitimate no 1 or no 2 option in 2021.
    I wonder where this will end up...........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Well judging by that one photo at the pool he has put the weight on already, just not sure it's making him stronger at this point.
    Yeah I know footballers come in all shapes and sizes, but didn't think any got away with being borderline skinny fat that close to the close of the season......albeit standing next to Buku he was always going to look second rate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm don't agree with it but would love this team roll out just once to see what happens.
    Please God no. Anything that involves BAD running naked down Bourke Street can't be good.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah I know footballers come in all shapes and sizes, but didn't think any got away with being borderline skinny fat that close to the close of the season......albeit standing next to Buku he was always going to look second rate.
    I think we are all forgetting that Cordy had a pectoral muscle tear during the season. This would have seriously curtailed any weights he could do and may be a strong contribution to his post season appearance.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce was rested after being goalless 3 times in 6 matches. He came back into the team and had 4 consecutive goalless games. Then he got one in the last game.

That’s 1 goal in 5 matches. Rewarded: selection in the final. (Which was lost because nobody could kick goals).

It’s consistent with other aspects of that (old?) game plan:

1. Ruck is irrelevant- don’t need hitouts.
    2. Full forward is irrelevant- don’t need goals.

There were numerous options, they were simply inconsistent with someone’s fixed mind set.

Unless the game plan is patched up it could be another stressful season.

Post Thanks / Like

There were numerous options, they were simply inconsistent with someone’s fixed mind set.
    I disagree with this point.
    Naughton plays whenever he's fit, but Lewy Young (by rumour) fronted up in poor condition and was a mile off form wise. Schache isn't a KPF but was unavailable anyway.
    Who else, Sweet? Bevo publically stated his forward-craft was the reason he didn't get a game in 2020.
    The cupboard was bare. If there was a viable alternative, I would have been all for them.

20. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post