Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  29
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Treloar poses questions about Bulldogs’ midfield mix

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I disagree with this point.
    Naughton plays whenever he's fit, but Lewy Young (by rumour) fronted up in poor condition and was a mile off form wise. Schache isn't a KPF but was unavailable anyway.
    Who else, Sweet? Bevo publically stated his forward-craft was the reason he didn't get a game in 2020.
    The cupboard was bare. If there was a viable alternative, I would have been all for them.
    Bruce displayed a total lack of forward craft in the majority of his games. And he was useless in the ruck because he had no ruck-craft. In other words, he was a mile off form wise, But we persevered. We put all on potential, like problem gamblers, and it never came good.

Personally, I cannot understand how Young couldn’t get fit in a whole season and Sweet couldn’t learn anything useful in two whole seasons. Who’s teaching them and managing their fitness?

And I have some sympathy for Bruce. A number of views of his work suggested that he might be carrying an injury.
    At times he struggled to get distance into his kicks and they frequently went left. He seemed to have trouble which left him crashing packs when a mark was expected. I wish him a better 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Bruce displayed a total lack of forward craft in the majority of his games. And he was useless in the ruck because he had no ruck-craft. In other words, he was a mile off form wise, But we persevered. We put all on potential, like problem gamblers, and it never came good.

Personally, I cannot understand how Young couldn’t get fit in a whole season and Sweet couldn’t learn anything useful in two whole seasons. Who’s teaching them and managing their fitness?

And I have some sympathy for Bruce. A number of views of his work suggested that he might be carrying an injury.
    At times he struggled to get distance into his kicks and they frequently went left. He seemed to have trouble which left him crashing packs when a mark was expected. I wish him a better 2021.
    Bruce has clearly showed excellent forward craft in previous consecutive seasons at the Saints, but it cannot be argued that he showed little to none of this craft in 2020. I'd go a step further and say he showed little to no actual ability to play the game competently last year.

We backed him in the entire season, which is an admirable display of loyalty. He owes the club and the match committee an awful lot in 2021.
    Last edited by Sedat; 06-01-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Only three or four key forwards played consistently good footy in 2020.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Lynch and Riewoldt both got close to 30 goals before the finals. So that’s 2 in the same team. What was their secret?

From very limited video I thought: low kicks into the forward area so both were confident leading. Can anyone improve on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Outside of Richmond, you've got Hawkins, Charlie Dixon and Kennedy. Taberner did well with the supply he had. There aren't too many more. Bruce was disappointing, Hipwood hasn't fired (largely due to inaccuracy). Ben Brown was nowhere.

It was a horrible year for most key forwards. I'm really hoping Bruce can bounce back because he does demand a gorilla defender and that will release our other forwards.

Slightly back to topic, I rate Mihocek more than most but Treloar really didn't have much to kick to at Collingwood. It will be interesting to see how he goes when he has a number of options to kick to in the F50
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not sure about this.

Brisbane had two who were pretty good in Cameron and Hipwood.
    Collingwood had Mihochek.
    Freo had Taberner.
    Hawkins of course.
    King was super for GC.
    Pretty sure Gunston kicked 30 goals at Hawthorn.
    Dixon was great.
    We've covered Riewoldt and Lynch.
    Papley was awesome.
    St Kilda got pretty good service from King and the guy with all the stickers.
    Kennedy and Darling both kicked 30 + despite sooking it up for 2-months in the hub.
    Wallis was awesome for us.

Now - I am going to be told that Wallis, Papley, Cameron and Gunston aren't 'key' forwards. Well - cool. They are leading forwards though and I would be surprised if any kicked more 'general play' goals than Hawkins did yet we happily call him a key forward.

If you are playing in the forward line and your team-mates are kicking you the ball, well...you're a 'key' forward.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Joe, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tim English CHB - i will run down Bourke St naked if that happens.
    Yep, EJ he is definitely not.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post