Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 - Richmond

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 - Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Similar mold to Gary Rohan more like it.
    Dunno about that. Hardwick delivers in September (and October).
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s an interesting test case for the AFL. If what has been reported is accurate, with precedent set at AFL house Hardwick has to be shown the door.

I suspect pulling the trigger on a couple of back office execs is infinitely easier than moving on the #1 coach in the business who is also at the competitions fattest cash cow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    It’s an interesting test case for the AFL. If what has been reported is accurate, with precedent set at AFL house Hardwick has to be shown the door.

I suspect pulling the trigger on a couple of back office execs is infinitely easier than moving on the #1 coach in the business who is also at the competitions fattest cash cow.
    I think it is his personal business. The woman doesn't report to him and there is no sexual harassment involved, unlike Lethleen, so I can't see the problem.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Different circumstances to what happened at AFL house but it's not a great look for the coach to announce he is separating from his wife in the middle of December only to announce he's in a relationship with a staff member a couple of weeks later
    While marriage and relationship breakdowns frequently occur and are very much a part of life we all need to accept in this instance it's complicated given Mrs Hardwick has a close relationship with many of the players and people at the club and there will no doubt be some who feel Mrs H has been betrayed.
    There wasn't a lot of sympathy for Stringer when he split from his partner and we all know the turmoil caused by Garry Lyon and Mrs Brownless secret affair.

While I applaud Richmond for their considered stance I can't see this has been dealt with yet and there will no doubt be some bumps along the way.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Different circumstances to what happened at AFL house but it's not a great look for the coach to announce he is separating from his wife in the middle of December only to announce he's in a relationship with a staff member a couple of weeks later
    While marriage and relationship breakdowns frequently occur and are very much a part of life we all need to accept in this instance it's complicated given Mrs Hardwick has a close relationship with many of the players and people at the club and there will no doubt be some who feel Mrs H has been betrayed.
    There wasn't a lot of sympathy for Stringer when he split from his partner and we all know the turmoil caused by Garry Lyon and Mrs Brownless secret affair.

While I applaud Richmond for their considered stance I can't see this has been dealt with yet and there will no doubt be some bumps along the way.
    I think with Stringer the situation was a lot different, in that he was throwing it around town (in one famous case being involved with a Doggies supporter under the age of 18) while his partner was either pregnant with or nursing his child. Lyon was involved with a good friend's partner.

Agreed Richmond's stance to this point has been appropriate, and while I imagine it may be raw for some folks at the club I think people will move on pretty quickly once the distraction of training and playing comes along.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not know I knew.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 05-01-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Delete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Hardwick seems similar mold to Dean Laidley and Mark Thompson. Manic when winning, hard faced when not. Hope he holds his stuff together.
    I knew I was intuitive and psychic:
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/wh...c41ebfa75cc76c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I knew I was intuitive and psychic:
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/wh...c41ebfa75cc76c
    BTW, Dean is now Dani
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think it is his personal business. The woman doesn't report to him and there is no sexual harassment involved, unlike Lethleen, so I can't see the problem.
    Actually, the Richard Simkiss case is eerily similar to this one. He had an affair with an AFL legal staffer whose role apparently didn’t cross paths with his and she didn’t report/answer to him in any capacity. There was no sexual harassment involved.

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

As per my comment in the above post, the circumstances are very similar. Richmond might be playing a straight bat, but the word is that there is a bit of furore internally. Potential double standards if Hardwick isn’t moved on after Rance was allegedly shuffled out the door.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Putting Hardwick's hard wick adventures to one side, Richmond are the current benchmark but they are not unbeatable.

Which side (if any) sorted them out in the home and away season of 2020, and how did they do it?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t imagine we’ve heard the last of this saga. It’ll get worse before it gets better.

It’s too hard to say how it’ll impact the playing group. For sure there will be players who would have lost a bit of respect and trust in their coach. But they’re professionals so we’ll see how it plays out.

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They weren't great at different times of the season, and lost their first final to Brisbane. For the record they lost to the Hawks, Lions, Port, GWS and Saints, whilst they also drew with Collingwood early on.

If not for Geelong coming out after half time incredibly soft and or distracted for whatever reason they may have been runners-up.

While no side really sorted them out throughout the year they showed that with a bit of concentration and a willingness to keep surging the Tigers like any side, are beatable. The issue with that is that not all sides can maintain the rage for four quarters, and this is where the Tigers get you. As soon as you take the foot off, lapse in concentration and make a few skill errors they burn you. 2020 could easily have been Port of Geelong's year, but it wasn't to be because neither could really keep up the intensity required when required.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

22. Likes Twodogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond turn up when they need to turn up. They seem to play well when on edge. Brisbane Lions 2001 to 2003 period where very similar. Make top four and go from there.
    More of an In Bruges guy?