Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Five games to watch in 2021

link

Round 1

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs
    Friday 19 March, 7.50pm
    MCG

Firstly, it’s a prime-time Friday night opening. Secondly, it’s against a powerhouse in Collingwood. Thirdly, it’s in Melbourne, at the MCG, and – fingers crossed – crowds will be in the house for the first time in a long time.

Then there’s the angle of Adam Treloar coming up against his old side for the first time.

And the Bulldogs looking to rectify their start to 2020, against the same opponent in the same game.

Round 3

North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
    Friday 2 April, 4.20pm
    Marvel Stadium

A showpiece match awaits against North Melbourne early in the season, in the annual Good Friday match at Marvel Stadium.

The stands were empty for the corresponding match last year, as Josh Bruce kicked six goals in a 49-point win.

It’s a big game on the field, but more important off the field – with both sides doing their best to raise much-needed funds to support the Royal Children’s Hospital through the Good Friday Appeal.

Round 6

GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs
    Friday 23 April, 7.50pm
    Manuka Oval, Canberra

This budding rivalry continues to grow bigger with each instalment.

The Bulldogs got the points in their one encounter against the Giants in 2020 in a match which kick-started their season.

There was plenty of spice – as the Bulldogs sought to bounce back from their elimination final exit the year before.

No doubt this year’s edition will be worth watching.

Round 10

Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
    Details TBC
    Marvel Stadium

The Saints have been a bogey team for the Bulldogs over the past two seasons, taking the chocolates in the last three clashes.

That includes last year’s elimination final, where the Saints snuck home by three points to put an end to the Bulldogs’ season.

It’s a fast, attacking brand of footy the Saints play – as do the Bulldogs – so this promises to be prime-time entertainment, with plenty to play for.

Round 21

Western Bulldogs v Essendon
    Details TBC
    Marvel Stadium

There’s plenty of history between the Bulldogs and Bombers.

Fresh in the memory of Bulldogs fans will be the Bombers’ pursuit of midfield star Josh Dunkley over the off-season.

But remarkably, these two teams have met four times in Round 21 in the 21st century already, which includes two famous games.

One was in 2000 – when Chris Grant sealed a famous win, to end Essendon’s unbeaten season. In 2019, the Bulldogs produced 21 consecutive goals against the Bombers, in a 104-point win.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Five games to watch in 2021

Which game excites you the most? Is it one of the above or another game?

Full fixture here

I am looking forward to Richmond at the G in round 7 to see how far we have progressed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's cute that they think footy is going ahead in 2021 like planned.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have booked a trip for round 1 and will be crossing my fingers till then for selfish reasons, as well as for our season.

I think we are mentally fragile and absolutely need to start ala Fremantle in 2015.

8. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley theatrics aside, in what universe is any game involving Essington "one to watch" because it's not this one.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Full fixture here

I am looking forward to Richmond at the G in round 7 to see how far we have progressed.
    Yeah hopefully it is a much better game for us against the Tigers and we can get the win. Was a bad one against them this year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Dunkley theatrics aside, in what universe is any game involving Essington "one to watch" because it's not this one.
    Yeah true as they haven't been going great in recent times and we have certainly had the wood over them recently. If we are both doing well at that point then yes that will be a big match.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Full fixture here

It's a great question but the season always throws up surprises - teams on the rise and those falling away.

All I know is we play 3x pretty strong sides (sorry - sides expected to be strong) in the first 4 weeks in Collingwood (despite some off-season turmoil), West Coast and Brisbane. If we are not on the ball in the early part of this season then...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

In recent years I've loved watching Essendon games, especially when they let us kick 21 goals straight against them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes Rocket Science, Eastdog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In recent years I've loved watching Essendon games, especially when they let us kick 21 goals straight against them.
    That game was the last Bulldogs match I attended before all the Covid stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty happy to watch this one RS, anytime.

It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post