Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Player are you looking forward to seeing in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Has Jacko ever played outside in his life?
    Isn't he a bit of both?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t wait to see juicy. We know all the talent around him but after last years performance he is just like an extra draft pick. Really hoping he comes in fit, healthy and a bit of mongrel apart him.

The second is Step Martin. I recon he is the key to our flag hopes. Big body, hard body and should free up English and spoon feed our mids. If he delivers this will improve the output of English, Bont, Libba, Dunks, Smith ect by 15%
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I can’t wait to see juicy. We know all the talent around him but after last years performance he is just like an extra draft pick. Really hoping he comes in fit, healthy and a bit of mongrel apart him.

The second is Step Martin. I recon he is the key to our flag hopes. Big body, hard body and should free up English and spoon feed our mids. If he delivers this will improve the output of English, Bont, Libba, Dunks, Smith ect by 15%
    Sorry, who is juicy?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Sorry, who is juicy?
    Bruce.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not in a dedicated way, though he has shown he can run and cut the zone up a bit with lateral kicking from the outside and has at times gotten penetration to break lines after some run and carry.

However, the reason I reckon he is in the van to play a bit more of an outside role is because he is probably a bit more adaptable than those who also prefer to play inside. Something has to give.

Post Thanks / Like

Jacko has always made an art form of working his arse to get into a position to receive, a key outside characteristic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jacko and Smith look like the guys who will have to play outside for us more than they may be used to, so these are the guys I'll be watching to see if they can adapt.
    You may be right (re- role) but I hope you're not.

With all of our mids I think we need to be working out what 'type' of player we want playing inside/outside and making sure we are balanced.

- Smith and Treloar provide a lot of the same stuff and probably should be separated.
    - Jacko and Dunks likewise
    - Where does Liber fit - as a pure 'extractor' / in the opposition hit zone at clearances? Is Jong the 'other' player we have like this?
    - Where does Bont fit?
    - Who plays the run-with role that was successful when Toby was doing it? Is that West's path to the inside group? And does this player start inside and play a role at the stoppage OR start inside and play on his opponent OR start outside and roll-in/out after the clearance?

I'm still unclear on how all this is going to work!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

JUH and Naughton for me.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

With all of our mids I think we need to be working out what 'type' of player we want playing inside/outside and making sure we are balanced.

- Smith and Treloar provide a lot of the same stuff and probably should be separated.
    - Where does Liber fit - as a pure 'extractor' / in the opposition hit zone at clearances? Is Jong the 'other' player we have like this?
    - Where does Bont fit?
    - Who plays the run-with role that was successful when Toby was doing it? Is that West's path to the inside group? And does this player start inside and play a role at the stoppage OR start inside and play on his opponent OR start outside and roll-in/out after the clearance?

Well I'm glad you think I might be right, but hope I'm not and have nothing but questions mate! This might be news to you but we actually rely upon you to finish conversations rather than extend them when it comes to this type of thing.........!

To your point, I did think about the balances you've called out - but from a first change only, and without taking into account injuries etc. And to me the only fixed person is Libba as an extractor, albeit I have always wanted him to get a little bit more open ball so he can kick it given he's actually good at that.

To answer some questions with other questions that might kind of give an indication on how I see it:

- Is Jong able to stay on the park and play the role Toby played?
    - Does West have the tools to replace Libba as an extractor given the longer season compared to 2020, assuming Libba's durability might be compromised?
    - Does Bont play a Chris Grant/ James Hird role circa 1996/ and any time after that as needed between half forward and half back at his discretion when not being a prime midfielder? Is he mature enough to know when to play all three roles - are we smart enough to allow it to happen?

I get the last point is pretty much old world type of thinking towards how someone like Bont might play, but possibly we're so congested for options in the middle that we may need to innovate and set up phases of the game to allow for it.

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

- Where does Bont fit?

I still have memories of Libba's job on Kennedy in the second half of the 2016 GF. Kennedy was clear BOG in the first half and Libba's job was vital to us getting over the line.

I really want to see one of Treloar or Smith in an "attacking" position at the stoppage so if the ball gets ahead of the contest we have a genuine burst capacity there.

As for the rest, I suspect even Bevo is still not sure yet. I know people want Macrae to play more outside but if he starts on the wing, can he hold his position without getting sucked closer to the contest? I'm not sure.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Latham for me. I am a fan and he was a revelation last year.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

There's a few for me.

Bruce looks in much better shape and is a quality player, but he had an appalling 2020 season. This is a real test for him as he's been whacked publicly by the footy community. Needs to assert himself early. The dividends for us could be huge.

Naughton needs to start doing more. I love him - equal to my favourite player (Bont) - but I want to see him perform on the big stage and against quality opposition consistently. His two finals don't sit well with me, despite the injury concerns around both games in different ways. Super talent who can do it all, we need him to be our Carey.

Treloar will have the eyes of all watching in the early part of the season and particularly R1. Always liked him as a player (and person), he has some personal challenges but I am hopeful he's setting himself for a big season. His style suits how we want to play and he could be lethal in our mid group.

Jamarra has to get a mention. So much hype, though I'm OK with him taking his time given no footy last year. Exciting to see his development though. Vandermeer will be 22 by the start of the season so it's a good age to take another big step forward after an impressive year.
    W00F!

18. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Naughton needs to start doing more. I love him - equal to my favourite player (Bont) - but I want to see him perform on the big stage and against quality opposition consistently. His two finals don't sit well with me, despite the injury concerns around both games in different ways. Super talent who can do it all, we need him to be our Carey.
    I haven't got the stomach to go back and watch the EF, but my takeway from the second half was that when Naughts had a free run at it and didn't have Bruce bumbling into every contest like a drunkard, he was a hell of a lot more dangerous. If Bruce sorts his s*** out, Naughton will be a much better player for it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I still have memories of Libba's job on Kennedy in the second half of the 2016 GF. Kennedy was clear BOG in the first half and Libba's job was vital to us getting over the line.

I really want to see one of Treloar or Smith in an "attacking" position at the stoppage so if the ball gets ahead of the contest we have a genuine burst capacity there.

As for the rest, I suspect even Bevo is still not sure yet. I know people want Macrae to play more outside but if he starts on the wing, can he hold his position without getting sucked closer to the contest? I'm not sure.
    I can’t think of any logical reason to play Macrae outside. He is arguably our best inside player and it would be counter productive to move him in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I haven't got the stomach to go back and watch the EF, but my takeway from the second half was that when Naughts had a free run at it and didn't have Bruce bumbling into every contest like a drunkard, he was a hell of a lot more dangerous. If Bruce sorts his s*** out, Naughton will be a much better player for it.
    If Wallis could kick straight and Bruce could do literally anything, us and every other media idiot would still be raving about Naughton taking over and winning us that game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -