Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Player are you looking forward to seeing in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I haven't got the stomach to go back and watch the EF, but my takeway from the second half was that when Naughts had a free run at it and didn't have Bruce bumbling into every contest like a drunkard, he was a hell of a lot more dangerous. If Bruce sorts his s*** out, Naughton will be a much better player for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If Wallis could kick straight and Bruce could do literally anything, us and every other media idiot would still be raving about Naughton taking over and winning us that game.
    It wasn't until the last quarter that he started looking dangerous and as much as I'd like to point the finger at Bruce, Naughty needs to be accountable too. He finished with 5 disposals, 1 goal and 4 marks. We should be expecting a lot more than that. For comparison sake, Bruce was 6 disposals, 1 goal and 1 mark yet only one of them received criticism.

Understand Naughty has had some injuries which doesn't help but 2021 is a big year for him.
    W00F!

2. Likes jeemak, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few players with something to prove this year

Lewis Young, despite being just 22 Young has already been at the club for 4 years. 2021 shapes as a huge season for him.
    Clearly the match committee haven't got a lot of faith in him given his dwindling level of senior games since his promising debut season and with a contract that expires at the end of the season he needs to make some significant steps forward this year
    Tall, quick and a good intercept mark Young has all the attributes required to prove himself. The big question is if he will receive the opportunities?

Josh Schache
    , for a player who arrived at us with 27 senior games of development at Brisbane we have only been able to add another 29 games in the next 3 seasons and the recruitment of Josh Bruce saw Schache dropped down the pecking order in 2020
    He's apparently come back to us in career best shape so it will be interesting to see if we are planning on using him much in 2021
    A highly skilled player and a beautiful set shot for goal and also a player with a high endurance base he will however need to make the most of his chances this year despite being contracted until the end of 2021.
    While he missed some games due to injuries he wasn't given much of a go by the match committee in 2020 which was puzzling especially given we extended his contract in Nov of 2019
    Does anyone think Schache can force himself into the senior selections this year?

Rhylee West is entering his 3rd year with us but I feel he has a lot to play for which is probably a harsh assessment. He's a quality hard at it midfielder and forward but we are stacked for depth in those area's. I remain confident that he will become a good player for us but I still think this is an important season for him. With the retirements of Dickson and Lloyd and the injury to McLean, West has a great chance to force himself into the senior selection miss. Does anyone else think it's time for him to take a step forward?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Lewis Young, despite being just 22 Young has already been at the club for 4 years. 2021 shapes as a huge season for him.
    Clearly the match committee haven't got a lot of faith in him given his dwindling level of senior games since his promising debut season and with a contract that expires at the end of the season he needs to make some significant steps forward this year
    Tall, quick and a good intercept mark Young has all the attributes required to prove himself. The big question is if he will receive the opportunities?

Josh Schache
    , for a player who arrived at us with 27 senior games of development at Brisbane we have only been able to add another 29 games in the next 3 seasons and the recruitment of Josh Bruce saw Schache dropped down the pecking order in 2020
    He's apparently come back to us in career best shape so it will be interesting to see if we are planning on using him much in 2021
    A highly skilled player and a beautiful set shot for goal and also a player with a high endurance base he will however need to make the most of his chances this year despite being contracted until the end of 2021.
    While he missed some games due to injuries he wasn't given much of a go by the match committee in 2020 which was puzzling especially given we extended his contract in Nov of 2019
    Does anyone think Schache can force himself into the senior selections this year?

Rhylee West is entering his 3rd year with us but I feel he has a lot to play for which is probably a harsh assessment. He's a quality hard at it midfielder and forward but we are stacked for depth in those area's. I remain confident that he will become a good player for us but I still think this is an important season for him. With the retirements of Dickson and Lloyd and the injury to McLean, West has a great chance to force himself into the senior selection miss. Does anyone else think it's time for him to take a step forward?
    I have not got a clue about what these players have to do to extend their careers. I have thought all are talented.

Lewis Young had the best debut as a key defender I’ve seen in years. His replacement is not half as good.
    Schache is our best goal kicker but was kept out of the team by the worst forward I have seen in years.
    West was excellent at ground level but then tried to jump over packs. Why?

l would love to see them all allowed to play their natural game, I suspect that it would increase our win rate. But I think they are doomed.

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I have not got a clue about what these players have to do to extend their careers. I have thought all are talented.

Lewis Young had the best debut as a key defender I’ve seen in years. His replacement is not half as good.
    Schache is our best goal kicker but was kept out of the team by the worst forward I have seen in years.

l would love to see them all allowed to play their natural game, I suspect that it would increase our win rate. But I think they are doomed.
    I'm not sure we are at the doom phase yet Danjul but all 3 have a lot of work to do to get right back into the mix
    Here is hoping their efforts are rewarded this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we are at the doom phase yet Danjul but all 3 have a lot of work to do to get right back into the mix
    Here is hoping their efforts are rewarded this year
    Young on the edge, Schache is done, West plenty of time.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Before I start keep in mind that like you i do rate these guys and have been very optimistic on them in the past, however.

Young is a key defender that sucks body on body and one on one, is a very good intercept mark, lacks composure with ball in hand and doesn't have the size to be the main guy. Could be a handy intercept defender, but in the multiple seasons since his debut he has never really looked like commanding a spot for more than 2 weeks in a row. Has been thrown around as a key forward and a ruck despite not really having the skill set to excel in either. Him not coming on at all is not all just down to us not playing him. Atm I liken his trajectory to Mark Austin. Atheltic and impressive to look at key defender who just hasn't shown that he can be an effective best 22 member and doesn't really have he strengths to offset the areas he is mediocre in.

Schaches one thing he does very well is kick for goal, after that he is ok for forward IQ. THose are his positives. Meanwhile his footy IQ still lacks enough to mean he is just naturally involved in games, he is a timid slowish tall forward who is a mediocre mark, prone to going very missing, lacks a trick that makes him actually dangerous and has one position which is basically a high tall medium forward pocket. Ben Brown is probably the player I think he is closest to in terms of strengths, except Brown at the very least works his arse off all game and is a much stronger mark on the lead than Schache. And Brown was wanted by nobody even though his price was stuff all.

West is an industrious mid with tenacity who is undersized to play as the main ball winner, zippy but too slow and unskilled to play outside, not a natural forward and as you say (and like every single one of our players) prefers to fly for marks even when he is 100% the guy that should be waiting on the ground. I like West and think he could be something, but I really query what happens now considering the one spot I am confident he would be decent at we are overflowing with talented players in. I think he is a good chance to follow the Anthony Miles/Jarryd Lyons career path of moving clubs due lack of opportunity, kind of showing he is good enough but never really excelling and then either his career fizzles out (Miles) or a club finds a specific role which he can perform really well (Lyons).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes jeemak, Dry Rot, Mofra, Axe Man, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder, this thread is about who you are excited to see this year.

Which player are you looking forward to see how they will perform, how is their development progressing, will they take the next step, it take it up a notch.

In the OP I mentioned Vandermer, but I am also looking forward to seeing if English can improve further and become a genuine ruckman?

Lots to look forward to for 2021.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many Laitham Vandermeer is the player i am very excited to see this year.

He showed glimpses of tricks he has, and while I don't recall him putting it all together in one game I definitely think he has the ability to. A pacy, direct winger/half forward with spunk is what we need. We have been trying to make Richards into one but he has not excelled in that role, while I think Vandermeer can and will. He will be a lot of fun if it all comes together.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes bornadog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Like many Laitham Vandermeer is the player i am very excited to see this year.

He showed glimpses of tricks he has, and while I don't recall him putting it all together in one game I definitely think he has the ability to. A pacy, direct winger/half forward with spunk is what we need. We have been trying to make Richards into one but he has not excelled in that role, while I think Vandermeer can and will. He will be a lot of fun if it all comes together.
    Vandermeer reminds me of a young Griffin. He has similar instincts and natural moves.

But I suspect that he is not cut out for our modern game, not enough ruck skills.

15. Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Schache

Agree with your sentiments on Lewis Young and Josh Schache who were cast aside following the recruitment of Keath and Bruce. It will be a make or break year for both Young and Schache who have ability and a good start to 2021 will hopefully see them become regulars. Rylee West similarly has ability with plenty of opposition given our mid field talent. West needs to work on his leg speed as our smaller players are not quick.

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am keen to see what Dutch can bring to the side if if keeps building on what we saw from him in 2020. There’s some real dynamic footy that can swell up when a blood like that goes hell for leather. He has the right mentality too, bit of swagger in amongst a dogged, combative base.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jackson Mead debut for Port (having taught him), but I don't think that is playing the game right.

The more preseason has drifted along, the more I am excited about what the possible English/Martin combo can do. Even breaking even in ruck contests (especially around the ground) would be amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar now. Hope he is everything he's built up to be and more.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to seeing Stefan Martin and Adam Treloar. Both are total pros and look to be in tip-top shape. Lin Jong has had a horror run for 4 years. He must be really keen to take every opportunity that comes his way. Lewis Young and Josh Schache similarly but for different reasons. Bailey Dale, Rhylee West and Pat Lipinski are yet to establish themselves as regulars. The competition for spots is going to be brutal.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing Stefan Martin and Adam Treloar. Both are total pros and look to be in tip-top shape. Lin Jong has had a horror run for 4 years. He must be really keen to take every opportunity that comes his way. Lewis Young and Josh Schache similarly but for different reasons. Bailey Dale, Rhylee West and Pat Lipinski are yet to establish themselves as regulars. The competition for spots is going to be brutal.
    Love the symmetry here.

We sent Roughy to the Pies in 2019 and he had a break out season. as many disposals and marks as he had in 2017 and 2018 combined with us. Collingwood hit the jackpot with Jordan.

Now they send us Treloar. Will we be so lucky?