Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"Big five weeks" for Josh Schache

"Big five weeks" for Josh

Mitch Wallis is backing former top two draft pick Josh Schache to become a key part of Western Bulldogs’ best side in 2021.

Since moving from Brisbane at the end of the 2017 season, the 23-year-old has played 29 games in three years, including just two in 2020.

Wallis said he was impressed by how Schache has returned from the festive break, but conceded it’s a “big five weeks” for the key forward ahead of pre-season games beginning in February.

“He’s come back in the fittest shape he’s ever been,” Wallis said on SEN Mornings after being asked about Schache.

“I know those are just words for the time being, but I know he’s committed to holding down a spot.

“He’s got so much talent and ability; it’s just about finding his way in the team and finding his spot. He has a big five weeks ahead of him as he’ll want to make an impression early in the season.

“We do have a lot of tall timber down there (in the forward line) and there’s really a high level of competition for spots, so if he can start well, especially in the upcoming pre-season games, I’m sure Josh (Schache) will play some games and some good footy for the club.”

The Dogs drafted exciting key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, to go with the recruitment of Josh Bruce in 2019 and rising star Aaron Naughton.

Schache however is a versatile tall, capable of playing on the flanks or further up the ground at his best.

Western Bulldogs will face off against Richmond and Gold Coast in two pre-season games before their highly-anticipated season-opener against Collingwood at the MCG on March 19.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Big five weeks" for Josh

I'm a supporter of what Josh can bring us but I can see he has a challenge to get ahead of the other forwards no matter how fit he might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't see how Schache, Bruce and Naughton (plus JUH) fit into a function forward half. I'd give Shaq a run down back and see if his height and running ability translates into something productive.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you Josh. Giving himself every chance to make the team
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just don't see how Schache, Bruce and Naughton (plus JUH) fit into a function forward half. I'd give Shaq a run down back and see if his height and running ability translates into something productive.
    Bruce could always ply his trade for Footscray.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes SonofScray, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Certainly not if we play two rucks.

I don't think Schache has the burst speed to keep up with opposition forwards. He's an endurance beast but I suspect Bruce and Naughton get first crack, JUH plays like a mid-sizer, Wally plays in a pocket and we have a combination of VDM and resting mids rotating through the remaining spots.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Certainly not if we play two rucks.

I don't think Schache has the burst speed to keep up with opposition forwards. He's an endurance beast but I suspect Bruce and Naughton get first crack, JUH plays like a mid-sizer, Wally plays in a pocket and we have a combination of VDM and resting mids rotating through the remaining spots.
    Where do you see Hannan fitting into our forward mix?
    I really struggle to see how we will set-up the forward line and this will be further complicated if we play two ruckman and assume English spends a bit of time forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bruce could always ply his trade for Footscray.
    Yeah, surely he's used up all his 'first year' goodwill credits and a run of poor form will see him sent back to find some touch.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Where do you see Hannan fitting into our forward mix?
    I really struggle to see how we will set-up the forward line and this will be further complicated if we play two ruckman and assume English spends a bit of time forward
    He's in rehab at the moment. I thought we picked him up as a pressure forward but the word from the club is that we like his ability to play 'up the ground' too. Personally I think he's 'just ok' up the ground but better deep.

We don't really pick up mature guys unless we plan on playing them so I suspect he plays when he's fit. Ed Richards would be nervous and with Wally and Hannan (and JUH), I struggle to see where McLean fits into the side when he returns too. Makes West's job of getting games harder too because for mine VDM is a lock. Love his play.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing the work isn't a bad thing. But the important part for Josh is what's going on in his head and will he be able to bring consistent attack on the ball/contest once the games start.

This has always been the question.

I am not surprised his team-mates are pulling for him - he is a nice person and undoubtedly talented. But he 100% has broken trust with the coaches (actually, I can't say 100% 'cos I don't really know that so I am projecting) but he could set the club bench press, 2000m and 20m sprint record all in a 30-minute period and the question would still be "can we trust him to body line the ball when the pressure is on".

Doing the extra training is a nice thing. Focussing his mental skills to get the best out of himself would have been a better use of at least some of that time.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Doing the work isn't a bad thing. But the important part for Josh is what's going on in his head and will he be able to bring consistent attack on the ball/contest once the games start.

This has always been the question.

I am not surprised his team-mates are pulling for him - he is a nice person and undoubtedly talented. But he 100% has broken trust with the coaches (actually, I can't say 100% 'cos I don't really know that so I am projecting) but he could set the club bench press, 2000m and 20m sprint record all in a 30-minute period and the question would still be "can we trust him to body line the ball when the pressure is on".

Doing the extra training is a nice thing. Focussing his mental skills to get the best out of himself would have been a better use of at least some of that time.
    Why would we have offered him a 2 year extension at the end of 2019 and not really have him in the mix by March of 2020?
    I get we brought in Bruce but it appears to be a conflicting argument.
    If it was a covid fitness thing then at least he has bounced back enough for Wallis to notice an improvement

He would have had some trade currency at the end of 2019 after kicking 24 goals

He really needs to improve his marking to give himself the best chance of playing senior football

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Big five weeks" for Josh Schache

Surely one of these guys needs to be tried as a tall defender? I'm not sure if Josh can do it, but I wouldn't be against trialing it. They simply can't all fit in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache is a far superior footballer to Josh Bruce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Schache is a far superior footballer to Josh Bruce.
    I would agree that Schache is more talented, but he needs to improve his output to get anywhere near the career of Josh Bruce.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

19. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd all be very happy if Schache had the career with us that Bruce had with St.Kilda.

We'd also be happy if Bruce could do some of that as well though
    Last edited by hujsh; 18-01-2021 at 11:28 AM.

21. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post