"Big five weeks" for Josh

Mitch Wallis is backing former top two draft pick Josh Schache to become a key part of Western Bulldogs’ best side in 2021.

Since moving from Brisbane at the end of the 2017 season, the 23-year-old has played 29 games in three years, including just two in 2020.

Wallis said he was impressed by how Schache has returned from the festive break, but conceded it’s a “big five weeks” for the key forward ahead of pre-season games beginning in February.

“He’s come back in the fittest shape he’s ever been,” Wallis said on SEN Mornings after being asked about Schache.

“I know those are just words for the time being, but I know he’s committed to holding down a spot.

“He’s got so much talent and ability; it’s just about finding his way in the team and finding his spot. He has a big five weeks ahead of him as he’ll want to make an impression early in the season.

“We do have a lot of tall timber down there (in the forward line) and there’s really a high level of competition for spots, so if he can start well, especially in the upcoming pre-season games, I’m sure Josh (Schache) will play some games and some good footy for the club.”

The Dogs drafted exciting key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, to go with the recruitment of Josh Bruce in 2019 and rising star Aaron Naughton.

Schache however is a versatile tall, capable of playing on the flanks or further up the ground at his best.

Western Bulldogs will face off against Richmond and Gold Coast in two pre-season games before their highly-anticipated season-opener against Collingwood at the MCG on March 19.